Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Realtime Reflection Probe Performance in HDRP

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by lukejaparidze, Jul 28, 2019.

1. lukejaparidze

lukejaparidze

Hi,
    I've seen a few posts related to my issue but I can't seem to find a solution. I'm running Unity 2019.1.2f1 with HDRP 5.16 and I'm having trouble figuring out how to improve performance with realtime reflection probes.

For example, I have a main menu scene in my game with the following:
    • One car at a time using measured materials
    • Baked and dynamic GI
    • 3 tube lights (no shadows)
    • 1 overhead rectangle light (shadows)
    • LED display playing some video which is dynamically lighting the scene with GI
    • Post-processing (SSR too)
    • ONE realtime reflection probe parented to the main camera
    System Specs:
    • GTX 1660 with 6GB of VRAM
    • Intel i5
    • 24GB ram
    • SSD
    With the realtime probe off, I get close to about 100 or so frames in the editor statistics and the game runs very smoothly, but with it on, I can barely hit 30FPS. I've tried changing just about every possible setting both in the frame settings and in the HDRP profile with little to no improvements on performance. I know realtime probes will always have a massive performance hit on any game, but I was able to use them and still achieve suitable framerates in the standard workflow, even with my old 4GB video card.

Probe On:
    probeon.png
    Probe Off:
    probeoff.png

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or some setting that I am not seeing that would boost my framerates to at least have a stable 30FPS?
    Thanks!!

2. id0

id0

Reflection probes it's a big problem in HDRP. In my case they sometimes cause a crush if I try switch to realtime, or open scene with realtime probes, even if it's only work on Awake.

3. ReMix3D

ReMix3D

You can disable some effects/properties in the reflection probe frame settings to make it's rendering lighter.
    But in the example you're showing, what's the point of having a realtime reflection probe ?

4. lukejaparidze

lukejaparidze

I've tried playing with a lot of the settings but the performance gain has been quite negligible, would you be able to recommend anything specific for me to change? The only real point of having that probe is to have the car reflect the screen in the back, which is looping visual effects.
    Thanks!

5. Blinkq

Blinkq

Hey, faced same issue, using real time reflection in my race game. I even disabled everything, even camera, and my fps drops from 5k fps to 30-60fps, Looks like I totally broke something. Looking for help/feature/hack/plugin/anything to resolve reflection for player car.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Everyone needs to post bug report case numbers if they're serious about these issues or seriously entertain updating to 2019.3 + latest HDRP (especially if it's going to be a released game and not a hobbyist project).

For those who are on old HDRP with pre 2019.3 Unity:

Unity staff constantly cautioned people about this and there will be many unfixed bugs on older versions.

That's going to hurt but it's actually expected developing with experimental then preview versions. It comes with the territory you will experience problems, so make those backups and update Unity if you can.

Try also profiling also, but you should know HDRP pre 2019.3 compatible versions (basically anything before 7) is not for production IMHO and it would be a bad idea to release a game on <7.x versions purely because there's incompatibility and other breaking bugs with the preview versions so the best case scenario for HDRP is 2019.3 + 7.x (official release version).

I don't like it any more than anyone else but that's my so called suggestion for a solution.

Of course, realtime reflection probes do render the entire world again 6 times, so there's that. You might want to be sure you did all the common optimisations for that as well, such as slicing, and using lower quality settings for probes.