Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Realtime multiplayer battle game

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by TwoorbJan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. TwoorbJan

TwoorbJan

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to show a game we have been working on, its called Alien Fiesta and it has been a fun ride with ups and downs. It's created using the 0.15.3 version of Project Tiny and as you know there is no multiplayer or physics so it has been implemented along with the game itself. The project is made for a client of ours.

This game is to be considered a prototype / tech development project with the goal of finding out if we actually can make multiplayer games using Project Tiny in its current state. The answer is yes we can, but with a lot of wrestling with the preview version shortcomings.

In short:
    • Last player alive wins
    • Real-time multiplayer for up to 4 player (more slots can be added) with support for syncable component data and commands (not RPC)
    • Public or private matches
    • Physics based movement / object interactions
    • Backend with regional servers using AWS elastic beanstalk
    • 7 enemy types, 5 maps, 1 ability (Bomb Mode)
    Short gameplay video (better quality video at: https://tinyurl.com/yg3hrbet)

Levels

With the current framework and a way to work around issues and shortcomings of Project Tiny we decided to make a smaller game so next up is Pictionary multiplayer game. Here is a very early preview showing off my fantastic programmer art skills ;)

Attached Files:

• p1.png
      p1.png
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
    prshreshtha, NotaNaN and Maras like this.
  2. hjupter

hjupter

@Twoorb-Studios That's looking really good, can you tell which version of Unity are you using?.. I've been trying to get Tiny project to work with latest 2019.2 but its always throwing errors.

3. TwoorbJan

TwoorbJan

@hjupter Thanks :) I am using 2019.2.0b4,but I get bee.exe errors which I solve by manually placing the bee file in its correct folder each time I start/restart Unity. I am streaming Tiny dev over at twitch, feel free to join in (https://www.twitch.tv/gamedevtrain/). I do client work while streaming, but I try to be as active with chat as I can.

4. yossi_horowitz_artie

yossi_horowitz_artie

@Twoorb-Studios -- congrats on getting this working! How did you implement multiplayer? Websockets via the BSD Socket API via Emscripten for web builds and a third-party C/C++ websocket API for native builds for rapid iteration?

Thanks!

5. TwoorbJan

TwoorbJan

@yossi_horowitz_artie Thanks :) The framework uses Socket.IO for multiplayer (written as a js plugin) and the only platform target is web. The multiplayer part has a "fake" setup for native builds, which is basically single player with mirroring of the player movement/actions to get an opponent along with all other the features.

6. yossi_horowitz_artie

yossi_horowitz_artie

Thanks for your reply!

7. dilly

dilly

This looks awesome! I'm considering committing to Unity Tiny for my next project. Mind if I ask you a few questions? You said specifically:

What specifically were those shortcomings? Were any of them related specifically to multiplayer code? Were any of them things you think will not be fixed eventually in Unity Tiny?

Also, I noticed in the recent presentation they mentioned they were focusing on hyper-casual games. My next game is not hyper-casual but a top-down 3D game with a focus on co-op (similar to something like Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile, etc.) where you explore a large (possibly with some randomly generated areas) world, killing and looting. Obviously I'd have to wait for the 3D preview coming up, but is there any reason that you could see that the limitations with Tiny would make it not work for a larger scale game?

8. yossi_horowitz_artie

yossi_horowitz_artie

You weren't asking me, but in my own experience with Tiny, there's a *lot* of development overhead that doesn't exist with classical Unity (because of bugs, the limitations of the toolset, the many features not yet implemented in the runtime, and the lack of third-party extension), but you also have all the source code -- so you could, in theory, make anything you wanted; it would just take a heck of a lot longer.