Search Unity

Realtime Logging/Debugging in Live Unity Games

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Skyriot, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Skyriot

Skyriot

Hi all, I’ve recently been working on the idea of implementing the ability to debug errors in clients that have already been released (ones that slip under QA's radar).

I am planning to try some experiments with sending game logs from a production version of a game I’m working on from some of Unity’s existing logging plugins to Loggly (a SaaS log management tool I've used before professionally). The goal of this is 2-fold:
    #1 - Live Debugging: Be able to able to catch post-release production bugs as soon as they occur so that they can be fixed immediately and patched.
    #2 - App Performance & User Client Telemetry: I'd like to be able to peer into the performance of live games (things like loading time, performance under bad network connectivity, etc.) and be able to make improvements off that data.

I plan to post the results in a blog-format here, and maybe a git with some example code that can be plugged into existing Unity logging plugins for people to test out, would anyone be interested in seeing this done?