Search Unity

Realtime interactive shortcuts -- SceneCameraController

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by awesomedata, Aug 30, 2019.

1. awesomedata

awesomedata

So I'm trying to implement an update to my tool Navigation Studio (see Snapcam in my sig) to have its scene camera controller (ViewNavigator.cs) work correctly with the new ShortcutManager system. However, using keys like WASD by themselves respond at the repeat rate of the keyboard, which makes creating any tools that require realtime key responses in-editor (such as my own camera controller) impossible (if I want my users to make use of the ShortcutManager -- which I do).

Overall, I would just like to fire events as fast as the Unity Editor can handle them (and let the key to do this be assigned (and the functions executed) using the ShortcutManager).

Also, if you would take the "internal" keyword out of the SceneCameraController and let me override its functionality, I could piggyback off of the default editor's camera controller (rather than fight with it!), which would be preferable to making my own tweaks (since most functionality would be the same). There are times, however, that I'd like to overhaul most of the scene camera's behavior too. For example, in 2d mode, or during an isometric view, I'd like a vastly different camera controller on some styles of games.

Asking you to simply let me use the ShortcutManager for realtime key events (that don't use the repeat-rate) would be simple enough, however there are still situations and tools, where I need to use realtime keyboard input inside certain editorwindows (or in the SceneView), or where certain gameobjects with a certain component are selected (but not others), so I really need to be able to specify when and where I need the shortcuts to repeat non-stop (at the refresh rate of the screen?) and when I'd rather the Shortcut for these functions use the keyboard repeat-rate of the key to specify this.

Maybe let me set certain device configurations -- i.e. my stylus pressure as an input for a tool or shortcut in the EditorWindow or in the SceneView? That, too, would need constant updates. It would be nice to specify a shortcut as toggleable, repeat-rate, or as constant as a workaround maybe.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019