Search Unity

Realtime holographic mapping with Kinect+Osc+unity3d

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tucano, Dec 14, 2012.

1. tucano

tucano

Hello everybody, I want to present our experiments with Realtime holographic Mappping and Unity3d!

Through the use of specific technologies and materials, we have carried on an in depth feasibility research for the construction of holographic projections, mapped in real time, to create virtual sets that can interact with the physical presence of the actors.
    We focus our attention on the software to recognize the presence of bodies on stage,
    on the structural part in order to facilitate the interaction between man and software and improve the holographic illusion,
    on the graphics by using a framework normally used to create video games, here at the service of theater or other live shows.
    The process can be divided into three main areas:
    capturing, real-time rendering, projection mapping.
    The capturing of the actor is realized with Microsoft Kinect to extrapolate the skeleton of the actor in the scene,
    the skeleton of the actor is transmitted in real time to the engine Unity 3D with which are generated renderings in real time,
    renderings are projected onto a plastic material that allows the visualization on the actor in transparency thereby creating the holographic effect.
    This study is part of the production process of the show "Augmented Pinocchio" directed by and starring Michele Cremaschi which will debut in July 2013 at the Napoli Fringe Festival.

Regards

Davide aka tucano and The RecipientCollective

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Pretty cool, I had to watch it twice.

3. john-essy

john-essy

I love it when people take concepts and flip them on it's head, Just amazing ;)

4. TiG

TiG

Wonderful. Apparently there is lots of new stuff that we will see thanks to Kinect and similar technologies. And probably such tech will take their places in our lives actively. I remember seeing the Kinect demo for the first time and was so amazed. There were comments below the video like "another useless technology" etc. and I couldn't believe someone could lack imagination to that extent. Now with this workof yours, and many others, with modest budgets and lots of hard work, its entering our life slowly.