Search Unity

Realtime GI not included in build (Unity 2021.2.0 Beta - HDRP)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by JTPrime, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JTPrime

JTPrime

Realtime GI works in the editor but not in a build. Happens 100% of the time.

Am I missing some new setting/option that needs to be enabled when creating a build with Realtime GI? Is this a bug, perhaps?

This has been present in all previous alpha versions of 2021.2. I'm using HDRP.

Previously, I was using 2019.4 LTS HDRP (with a little "hack" to the enlighten variable) with no problems.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Which 2021.2 version are you on exactly? There was a regression which disabled realtime GI updates introduced in 2021.2.0a14, but has since been fixed in 2021.2.0a19. I would suggest updating to 2021.2.0a19 and trying again.

3. JTPrime

JTPrime

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm using 2021.2.0b1.3029. Everything works fine in the Unity editor, and I'm able to set Realtime Global Illumination in the Lighting panel, but when I build the project, and run it, there is no longer any realtime light bounce.

To reproduce:

- Create a new project using HDRP.
    - Using the SampleScene, change the light mode of "Directional Light Sun" to Realtime.
    - Enable Realtime Global Illumination in the Lighting panel. (Disable Baked Global Illumination for faster lightmap generation)
    - Generate Lighting. (The Realtime GI of the sun should work fine at this point)
    - Build the project with the SampleScene.
    - Run the EXE. (At this point, the Realtime GI doesn't work in-game for me).

If it helps:

I'm using Windows 10.
    Building for Windows x64.
    Using Auto Graphics API for Windows.
    Graphics card is a Nividia GeForce GTX 1650.

Thanks again!

4. JTPrime

JTPrime

Also, I just noticed I'm getting these errors in the console when I build.

Capture2.JPG

Not sure if it's related.

5. Amrid

Amrid

is there like any documentation on how to use enlighten for realtime GI with HDRP? I only see stuff marked as "deprecated" everywhere.

6. id0

id0

Yes, horrible support of the Enlighten. Nothing fixed at all. Also it still reset all GI after exit and enter the editor, and you always need to rebuild it.

7. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

This looks like a bug. Could you please report it and paste the bug ID here afterwards? We'll take a look.

8. JTPrime

JTPrime

The case ID is: 1346410

I also discovered another bug shortly after submitting this one: enabling/disabling the checkbox for Realtime Global Illumination in the Lighting panel doesn't update the realtime lightmaps. I have a feeling this problem is related to the initial bug, and I filed another report for that:

The case ID is: 1346418

There's some additional information regarding the problem on that second bug report. The lightmaps will update if you rapidly click the Realtime Global Illumination checkbox in the editor, but only when the scene has large realtime lightmaps to calculate.

I think MikkoK-HS is onto something in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dynamic-gi-wont-update-when-loading-a-scene.1093702/

Thanks!

kristijonas_unity likes this.