Search Unity

Realtime GI Not Baking Correctly On High Resolution

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by kingsapo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kingsapo

kingsapo

Hi! I've been playing with Unity 5 for a couple days, and tried setting up this test scene using some modular assets. In the screenshots attached, the door and the wall to the left of it are separate objects. The issue I'm having is with the realtime GI baking. When I set the resolution to 1 texel per unit, everything looks great. When I up it to anything else (I've tried 2, 4 and 6), it doesn't look nearly as natural.

The screenshots show the 1 texel bake, then the 4 texel bake. I also included the directionality views to show that the 1 texel bake has a much smoother transition than the 4 texel version:

1 texel.PNG
    4 texel.PNG

1 texel directionality.PNG
    4 texel directionality.PNG

I'm not really sure what the issue is, so if anyone has any experience with this, some help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does it still persist if you change Directional mode to non-Directional?

3. kingsapo

kingsapo

Changing the directional mode doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried both of the other options, and Unity doesn't try to reprocess anything (I have continuous baking on).

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You're showing directionality there and there appears to be a weird seam, that's why I think it has something to do with directional mode.

Are the normals okay?

5. kingsapo

kingsapo

Normals look good. I switched to deferred shading so I could see them. The geometry is pretty basic, it's actually a result of Procore's Prototype plugin.

normals.PNG

6. Kuba

Kuba

Is the geometry on both sides of that seam in the same mesh (just using different UV charts) or actually different meshes?
    Either way, you can see that the seam is still there even in the low resolution version, it's just much less visible.

Would you mind submitting that project in a bug report so we can check why wasn't it properly stitched?

7. kingsapo

kingsapo

Sure thing, Kuba. I just did a bug report, and I'll post the link to it when I get the email. In the meantime, the door and the wall to the left of it are indeed two different meshes.

EDIT: Just came in: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?682194