Search Unity

Realtime GI (Englighten) bug in 2019 (idk how to call it)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by impheris, Jun 7, 2021.

1. impheris

impheris

Sorry i do not try to spam but i have another quiestion about realtime GI but in 2019 that i did not found any solution on internet and i do not know how to call it and maybe that the reason i did not found anything useful.
    The attached image shows my problem, i think is not a "leak"
    I have double sided materials, i already tried increasing the indirect resolution, i tried with different settings for the light (range and intensity)
    I can see the movement of the light trought the wall.
    Is there any fix? something i'm missing?
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Are you using realtime GI or a combination of realtime GI and baked GI? Indirect Resolution value being set too low might be the most likely culprit. For indoor environments, we recommend values between 5 to 10. There could be other factors which might cause this, though.

In either case, I would strongly recommend going through our official Realtime GI Optimization tutorial on Unity Learn. It will explain Enlighten-specific concepts in greater detail which will help you prevent issues like this in the future.

3. impheris

impheris

Hi thanks for the awnser.
    I´m using just Realtime Global Illumination, from "lighting" window, the other option is mixed lighting > Baked Global Illumination, but that option is unchecked.
    I tried with the indirect resolution up to 3 (those are the values the tutorial says) also i tired with 5 and the problem is still there, i also tried with a basic model (with UV map), 4 walls and one wall in the center, material are double sided, also the walls has thickness, i made some edge divisions on the top of the object where the center wall is (i saw that on a little video on youtube) and with all that i have the same problem.

4. impheris

impheris

I was playing with the values of everything i can and i found the cause (in unity 2021). In the light's properties i have to set the range at least at 80, if a lower the value to 79, the bug appears. I made some videos.
    - The first one is with the bug (point light)
    - The second is without the bug (point light's range at 80) but with an unwanted illumination effect

5. impheris

impheris

Are you there? i still need help or something

6. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Hey.

Could you post some screenshots using the enlighten-related scene view modes? (primarily 'Systems' and 'Clustering' - https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/GIVis.html)?

Other than that, it sounds like you have a fairly solid reproducible scenario, so I suggest filing a bug report.

7. impheris

impheris

Hi, thanks. I just reported the bug. I'm using unity 2021.2 because i thought it was a bug from that version but nope i have the same bug.
    In screenshots you can see "systems" looks very... pink i do not know why, i also take a screenshot of "Lit Clustering" just in case.

Attached Files:

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Since it seems you are using Enlighten, I believe you have stumbled upon the missing feature of realtime indirect shadowing (there should be a note on the light that says this as well).

That was a feature that was supposedly coming a long time ago, but with the whole "enlighten is dropped but-not-really and is now supported but-not-really" there is 0% chance of seeing this feature with Enlighten in Unity now.

Also, don't use Enlighten.

If you absolutely need some sort of realtime reactive GI, look at another engine.