Search Unity

Really random unity 3.4 pro crashes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hippocoder, Jul 27, 2011.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity just bombs sometimes. I wish I could narrow it down but I sent a bug report with as much detail as possible. It just crashes and quits. This is the 3rd time it's happened - and usually happens when I press play or pause.

Windows 7 64 bit.

2. angel_m

angel_m

I have exactly the same problem, random crashes when pressing Play.

Unity Pro 3.4 and Windows XP 32 bit Professional

3. zine92

zine92

Mine crashed if it is playing and i am editing a script, alt-tab back and woo it crashed. Most of the time this happens and i am so used to playing while editing scripts. Thinking the Unity team might patch up this release. :D

Win 7 x64 pro too

4. reddotgames

reddotgames

i got runtime error crash every 15-30 minutes :(
    unity 3.3 works with no problems
    i had to learn myself to save often now

and now it crashed when i create new script, but crashes take places randomly

windows 7 home 64 bit
    unity 3.4 pro

5. Charz

Charz

I have the exact same issue; every 15 to 20 min unity crashes and gives the error that the program was forced to terminate in an unusual way by the 2008 c++ run time. I have filed a bug report and included a simple scene with all component part of Unity standard package.

Previous versions of unity worked butter fine ( 3.2 and 3.3) this random crash only happens in 3.4 and I can't find a way to narrow it down. I am running Vista 64bit. I have 8800m GTX and all drivers are up to date.

The issue happens randomly every time you do an action like pressing play, moving a material, using rotate,, etc...

This issue is really serious and can halt our productivity process as we can not just save our scenes every minute. Please find a solution!

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Mmm. It's pretty stable for me. What kind of graphics cards do you all have? Drivers? Where you using deferred or forward or what?

Also, it seems there are two different reasons for crashing, some people say it's when they press play, others when the alt+tab, which is when Unity tries to reimport stuff, so I'm not sure you are all hit with the same problem.

7. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Been using it fairly solidly since I installed yesterday and havent had any crashes as yet on Mac OS X.

Regards,
    Matt.

8. Charz

Charz

What is important is that posters claim to have previous versions working with no crashes except version 3.4. In my scenario I was using deferred path. there is no special button that triggers the crash but rather any action in the editor may cause the crash every while ( mine every 15 to 20 min) but most notably when hitting play or stop.

I haven't tried reinstalling Unity yet however, I do not think doing so would resolve the problem.

9. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

I got this last night as well.

Windows 7 64 bit home edition. Unity 3.4 pro. happened as I hit enter to start a build.. hung for a bit then back to desktop. Had to rebuild the project from last backup. Never had this issue with 3.3.

It also happened when I was editing my Editor script, but whilst I can't remember that happening under 3.3, I am not a good enough programmer or techy to put that one down to 3.4 even though when I re-opened the project, the change was there that I was making and not causing an issue.

Regards

Graham

10. by0log1c

by0log1c

Same problem here on every computer. Unity 3.4 pro on Win7 64bit.

The FX Designer is about to tear his hair off, hehe.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  11. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

crash crash crash

windows xp 64bit

12. JFo

JFo

Yep, Unity 3.4 Pro in Win7 64bit constant crashing...

13. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I have the same problem microsoft c++ runtime has requested to terminate in an unusual way . I have only used 3.4 3 or 4 times now since download and it has happened on each time I've used it. My version before this was v3.2 and it only hung on rare occasion and would have a unity bug report crash dialog appear , this does not appear with these bombs , I cant put my finger on it but It seems like mono develop is causing this .. haha ok I have no idea whats causing this but it definitely is a problem!

14. lazygunn

lazygunn

This might not be very helpful but it's been pretty good for me so far, just in the first half of today 3.3 crashed 4 or 5 times with a 'too many root sets' error, whatever that is, no crashes yet with 3.4

Win7 64bit, drivers etc all up to date

15. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

ok I kept working now for a few hours - 4 crashes : always with two scenarios , when you save a script and switch back to the IDE , or randomly when you press play. I tested this while using a different code editor just to eliminate mono develop so I can confirm it has nothing to do with that. Regardless of all the new features im going to have to switch back to a previous version until some some of patch comes about for this.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Question for all the people involved with crashes:

c# or js used?

17. kablammyman

kablammyman

Same issues, and I too have a 64 bit win 7 box. I only us C#...but I dont think that it matters.

18. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

I have both in the project.

Regards

Graham

19. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

only use js

20. JFo

JFo

c# only

21. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I have both

22. Major McDoom

Major McDoom

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and I have the same problem. I use Boo.

3.3 worked fine for me. Ever since I switched to 3.4, the editor FPS dropped from ~1000 to ~100, and it crashes (the C++ library thing) about 1 in every 10 times I start the player.

Someone please fix this soon, because it's severely impacting my workflow.

23. Major McDoom

Major McDoom

Just out of curiosity, how many people with the problem are using iTween?

24. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

I have 2 projects on the go.

One has it installed, one not. Am not seeing any material difference in number of crashes between them though.

Regards

Graham

25. zine92

zine92

Using c# and crash not that often if i let it compile and press play. I know i get the c++ error if i press play just before it finish compiling or it is already running while i edit the scripts.

26. _Dc_

_Dc_

i had the same problems, i thought it was my machine ( its fairly old ) which at the time was running winxp 32bit ( sp3 fully updated ). was getting the root sets error, then after updating to 3.4, it seemed to have the crash types mentioned above.
    i bought a new machine, win7_64bit, same crashing, so it doesnt seem to be machine or OS specific.
    im using unityscript only atm, and the project is VERY small, with just a few primitives. and a few scripts.

27. janpec

janpec

Yeh i have crashes too, its annoying if you forget to save scene you are really in deep ****.

28. arioch82

arioch82

same problem here, Windows 7 x64 and unity pro, was working fine with 3.3

both c# and js in the project

29. mas

mas

3.4 on windows-7 64bit - lots of crashes, about 15 minutes apart, most of the time when pressing play.

3.3 was all fine.

30. larvantholos

larvantholos

I just got one of these random crashed the other night, windows 7 64 here as well. Guess I'll try the full disable of DEP through the console and we'll see if that stops it. The scene is very light, no scripting at all until I added in some substance stuff to test, was tweaking variables when that crashed, so, I'd suspect that this is script related.

31. angel_m

angel_m

My crashes dissapeared when I returned to UniSciTE...

32. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Crashes for me as well, had over a dozen crashes yesterday, runtime errors and just lockups. Lockups especially on switching back to Unity from VS2008 after editing C#, runtime error crashes on hitting run. This is win7 64bit (all updates) using C#.

33. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

I too am experiencing the same crashes with 3.4 as reported here - I'm on Win7 64 also. 3.3 was fine.

34. jackpoz

jackpoz

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Unity.exe
    Application Version: 3.4.0.27242
    Application Timestamp: 4e295076
    Fault Module Name: mono.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4e2426e8
    Exception Code: 40000015
    Exception Offset: 000010c8
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1040
    Additional Information 1: 21fd
    Additional Information 2: 21fd2ad3c71dfb2c95e7e008a7f6cdb6
    Additional Information 3: 6f3c
    Additional Information 4: 6f3cb14992c1bb7d529cb8a1b9112e63

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  35. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Same issue random crash win seven 64bit, C# on the 3.4

36. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

Same issue, crashing after 3 or 4 "plays" from inside the editor, with the mono.dll crash. I'm using C# only, Win7 64 bits with latest updates and the MS hotfix for 64 bits platforms advertised inside the editor.

This is by far the most unstable Unity version released so far. I hope a hotfix is on the way soon.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  37. Arowx

Arowx

Ditto - Random frequent crashes!

38. Bugfoot

Bugfoot

I've just downgraded back to 3.3 because 3.4 is way too unstable to be usable at the moment.

39. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Seems like an issue between Unity and MS VS Studio on 64bit systems.

I had the too many roots issue with 3.3 but now with 3.4 I still get that once in a while but I get multiple freeze or crashes when pressing play or once I go back to Unity from VS Studio.

40. zine92

zine92

You tried not using vs 2010 and it doesn't crashed? I am not sure. I am using vs but the crash is still okay. Not too often though. Might try not using and see if it's the issue.

41. flim

flim

Never encounter any crash on Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Edit: finally mine crash as well, after edit some code and save in MonoDevelop, return to Unty Editor, crash~~

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  42. _ex_

_ex_

I'm tired of these crashes in 3.4, have to upgrade due to a Android bug.
    Is there some official response to this?

We can't await another months for the next release to fix this.
    Win64 version Pro here, maybe is this a a Pro *feature*?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  43. friken

friken

Crashing here too. 3.4 w/ visual studio 2010 and windows 7x64

I may try with monodev for a bit and see if I still crash, but not sure it has anything to do with the vs integration. I too was stable as can be in 3.3.

44. kablammyman

kablammyman

As I said on page 1 of this thread, mine crashes, but i dont use vis studio at all. i just use notepad++ via the UniSciTE plugin.

Also, please fix the UniSciTE jump-to-line feature!!!!!!

45. Trashobject

Trashobject

Same for me. Random crash of Unity

A function for saving automatically or a crash-restore would be nice :-/

Windows 7 64 Bit
    Unity 3.4.0f5

46. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

same here since Update to 3.4...crash crash crash... Random crash of Unity at different times (with all my projects). Really horrible! I hope Unity can fix this. I must save my save scene all 2-3 minutes !!

It happens often after edit some code and save in MonoDevelop, return to Unty Editor -> crash
    some times after editing some values in the inspector.

big problems with unity on Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Within 1 hour 5-10 crashes. Without error message from unity. After restarting of Unity, I can start my project without errors and play it.

It seems so, that the crashes happens only on 64 Bit Windows ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  47. Spuges

Spuges

3.4 Computer freezes totally. = No progress
    I've tried the DEP exlusion, defrag, reinstall unity, memtest, turning off firewalls/anti-virus.. ahh, the list is too long, I cant remember everything.. Guess next step is to install my OS again on a clean slate. Just.. dreadful.. Guess I'll just install 3.3 back and go cry in my corner.
    3.3 Was peachy. = Yum.

Win7 64bit
    AMD Phenom II 1090T
    Radeon HD 6870

Anyone else expierence total system freezes?

48. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

No, not since 3.0. Did you also try moving your project folder to /users/public? That fixed 99% of my crashes. I now have maybe one crash every other day. Still more than I like, but much better than when I had my project folder in /users/myuserfolder.

49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Getting a fair few mac crashes here and there when meddling with shaders - ie poorly written ones that include Bind for uv but not for other verts. And misc crashes. Thats on the macbook with 2gig though so I hesistate to raise a red flag about that, and far rarer than PC.

50. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Im on 32bit system , so its not a 64 bit issue as someone posted above and Im on indie version not pro.