Search Unity

Really low quality of spheres

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by El_Guig, Jan 25, 2014.

1. El_Guig

El_Guig

Hello,

I'm currently working on a space game, in which I can see the Earth. Despite setting all graphics to maximum, the Earth doesn't look like a sphere at all, but rather a set of faces:

Is there a way to increase the number of these faces up to the point where it looks like a sphere or is it a Graphics problem?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Make a sphere model with more faces.

--Eric

3. El_Guig

El_Guig

Ok, thanks for the confirmation, that's what I thought as well. Is there a way to fix that in Unity? I've just done it in Maya but if there's a way to do that in Unity as well I'd be glad to know!

4. EvilArev

EvilArev

There's nothing to "fix". It's a simple, premade sphere mesh. Not an "infinite quality sphere" utility. Making higher resolution mesh yourself is the best way to go.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you really wanted, you could make an editor tool which creates spheres with different polygon resolutions, but it's simple enough to make them in a 3D app.

--Eric

6. TheShane

TheShane

The built-in shapes are mostly for prototyping, and you would rarely use them for a game. They may work if you need simple geometry for particles, power-ups, or interface elements, etc.

If your game is about orbiting earth, you probably want to get a really good planet mesh. The regular UV mapping is not great for texturing on the default sphere (there is bad pinching at the poles) so you might want to get a high-poly quad sphere to get uniform texture quality over the whole sphere.

In general, it is your job to design meshes that will fit with the game you are making.

7. El_Guig

El_Guig

Thanks for the information! I didn't know I would have to remake the objects myself for actual quality, I thought Unity built-in shapes would do the trick. Glad I know now, Maya will be my best friend from now on!