Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Really annoying Lights not working problem

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by zedz, Apr 24, 2019.

1. zedz

zedz

This has been making me pull my hair out

This has happened multiple times with multiple lights in multiple scenes, heres a single example
    the candle stick to the left (with the green light, which I have changed to green so I can see if it is actually doing anything, its not, intesity/range have zero influence)
    the candlestick is a duplicate of the working candle stick on the right.
    The green light is totally ignored no shadows no lighting etc on static or moving objects.
    How is this possible?
    Is possible to fix but requires me deleting objects are recreating them again, rebaking the lightmaps etc, which is very time consuming and often doesnt work.
    I would love to solve this issue, what could be causing it? Any ideas cheers

2. KarolisO

KarolisO

If the light is set to dynamic, check Project Settings > Quality > Pixel Light Count and perhaps bump the limit up.
    If the light is set to baked you'll need to rebake the lighting every time you change the light properties.

3. zedz

zedz

OK thanks mate, its not a light limit issue, I changed that anyways just to make sure.
    Yes Im aware if I change anything with the lights I will have to rebake if something changes.
    Heres some more pictures, I was only changing the candle sticks (one blue light one green, they are created with a duplicate thus are exactly the same)

first screenshot is how it should look like, Im using baked indirect, the rest of the screenshots are with shadowmask

\

OK in game now, both candle sticks are working, they are casting light onto things, casting shadows etc.
    BUT you will see the light at the top left the pink one has stopped working!, I literally have not touched it, it was working, now its casting no light or shadows, only creates a lightmap

also why are some of the following fields bolded?
    Sorry wasting hours on this simple thing, makes me not happy :)

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Since you're using shadow mask, what does the Light Overlap scene view show?

5. zedz

zedz

Ta, Good thinking, theres no red showing overlap.
    I just cant work it out, its literally ignoring some of the lights, I can change the color to green or whatever and nothing goes green, I'll play around some more with it.
    Im using onboard GPU, intel 655 could this be causing the issue, I have to downclock the CPU otherwise it overheats already

6. zedz

zedz

Installed unity 2019.1 (2 hours to get the project converted on a M2 SSD) problem is still there, after another baking
    light A&B which was working has stopped working,
    light C that was not working is now working
    There just seems to be no logic into why a light works or doesnt work, Looks like I just have to use baked indirect from now on

7. Stardog

Stardog

Put all the lights to realtime, clear your bake (from Lighting panel) and see if it works. Change all to baked, then bake and see if it works.

What lighting are you going for? Realtime shadows but also with indirect baked? Then I think you are looking for Baked Indirect mode.