Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Realistically Scaled Terrain Engine

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by theFrenchDutch, Aug 28, 2016.

1. theFrenchDutch

theFrenchDutch

Hi ! I'd like to present something I've been working on with two friends.

For almost two years now we've been working on a terrain engine project using Unity. This project aims to create a real-time terrain engine capable of generating realistically scaled and detailed terrains on the fly, mimicking real-life sceneries, for interactive uses like simulators and video games.

We believe our results have been pretty good so far, and because we don’t plan on releasing this project as an asset now, we decided to share our work with the community. We are however thrilled by the possibility of building a game on top of it, maybe sometime in the future.

We’ve learnt a huge amount while working on this as we started with almost no prior knowledge in the field of computer graphics, and we still have a lot to learn, but we'd be glad to answer any question about the methods and resources we've used so far. We might also write more in-depth blog posts in the future if some people are interested.

Link to a presentation page with detailed features and screenshots :
    http://newheadstudio.com/DevBlog/Procedural_Generation/Articles/article1.html

Thank you for reading and have a nice day :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    elias_t, one_one, 600 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

any chance to release executable demo for us to try?

3. one_one

one_one

Ah, there it is. I saw the blog entry at some point and ever since have waited to stumble upon a thread on the forum here. As you're not releasing it as an asset, what else are your plans with it? Not releasing it and just using it in your personal project?

4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

You had me at realistically scaled. Watching this like a hawk.

unityunity