Search Unity

Realistic FPS Prefab [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Apr 5, 2013.

1. jnbbender

jnbbender

I apologize, typo, I meant I don't know about an asset...:confused:

2. jons190

jons190

Hey.... Question for Tony Li!

Config: Savesystem 1.3; RFPS 1.24 ; Unity 5.4xxx
    I am playing around with the save system and for the life of me can't seem to get the "checkpoint save" to work.

Is the expected behavior. A player runs through a checkpoint trigger, the game save to that slot (slot 1) and then when the player dies, they are respawned at the checkpoint?

It seems i have the checkpoint save prefab setup, but whn a player dies they seem to end back at the start of the level (I'm assuming at the spawnpoint I setup from the scean transition prefab that I use between my levels... but haven't fully checked that yet)

Is there a place to set the spawnpoint for the checkpoint save? It seems I am missing something...

Anywya, cheers mate!

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @jons190 - See this post. In the next version, this code (which works the same) will be in the manual:

Edit FPSPlayer.cs, and add this to the beginning of the Die() method:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void Die () {
    2.     if (PixelCrushers.SaveSystem.HasSavedGameInSlot(1))
    3.     {
    4.         PixelCrushers.SaveSystem.LoadFromSlot(1);
    5.         return;
    6.     }
    7.     ...
    The checkpoint save trigger only saves the game. You need code like above to reload that saved game on death.

4. Strolski

Strolski

Aaaah, gotcha, thanks anyway!

5. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

okay, have added a turret to my game, which I can make target the NPC, can shoot at it, and it's shells hit but it does no damage... obviously there is a script somewhere which determines damage to the NPC and probably needs a setting that I can add to my turret or its shells.

Can someone point me to that script please so I can play with it.

Regards

M

6. jons190

jons190

Awsome! It's amazing whats buried in these forums... Also I think my coding skills are actually up to this task finally!

Hey something else. I used your "Dukes of Hazard" arrow mode where you setup the bow with the mine script and it works great!!!!!!...... I tell you it is BUTTLOADS of fun to run around and blow stuff up in VR!!!!!!!!!! But the explosions seem a bit heavy for mobile VR and I have been looking all over for explosions prefab so that I can strip some of the particle animations out and change the particle size and such to make it much more mobile Friendly. I found some prefabs for the "explosions" in /effects/explosions but anything I tried there didn't seem to make any difference when playing in the unity editor, and now I am looking through the weaponsbehavior.cs script and seeing some reference to hard coded particle emitters.
    BUt from what I can tell, the script is just calling a reference to the explosions prefab, so in my mind I should just be able to change some stuff onthe prefab and it should just work....

Do you know where that mine explosion lives in the RFPS tree? I'm surely missing something simple I feel....

7. jons190

jons190

Hey all
    ! Just a shout out to everyone on the boards. If you have a GearVR and a Bluethooth controller and are interested in playing a VR "sword and sorcery" game built with RFPS. Shoot me your email and I'll send you over and invite to the beta copies of : Firedrake Adventure #1 : The Catacombs Of Chaos and Firedrake A dventure #2 Crypts of the Golem King.
    You will need a S7 or better, but I would love to see how it preforms on a s6 class phone...
    fireDrake_BWg.jpg

TonyLi likes this.
  8. jnbbender

jnbbender

Yeah, it's called CharacterDamage.cs. Look @ the ApplyDamage function. Check out any other script that uses it. Maybe start with a simple one like DamageZone.cs and then maybe look at NPCAttack.cs in the FireOneShot function to see how the NPC's deal out damage to the FPS.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Mine is in Assets / RFPSP / Objects / InteractiveObjects. The Grenade is in Assets / RFPSP / Objects / Weapons.

Weapons that create projectile objects (such as bows and grenade throws) instantiate those projectiles from the player's Object Pooling Manager. If you want to keep the Mine but tell the Bow to instantiate a different prefab, add your new prefab to the Object Pooling Manager and make a note of its index in the Obj Registry. Then inspect the Bow and set its Projectile Pool Index to that index.

10. jons190

jons190

Do you know where the "explosion" for the mine lives? Or how to control it? Also.... Your other explanation about the object pool, actually points me int he direction of another "feature" I wanted to implement, but had no idea how...(having both the regular bow and explosive bow ..... Thanks much for that pointer... ;-)

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's a bit convoluted. When the mine detonates, it uses the Weapon Effects component on the FPS Weapons GameObject. The Weapon Effects component has an Explosion field that points to an Explosion GameObject located under FPS Effects. The Explosion GameObject has a number of children, each of which has a Particle System.

12. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Hey Tony, I borrowed this code myself and it works great. One thing though: is there a way to keep the dying animation and fade-to-black? It immediately loads the checkpoint on Health = 0

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

In this case, instead of editing FPSPlayer.cs, edit LevelLoadFade.cs and in DoFadeOut add this code in front of "#if UNITY_5_3_OR_NEWER":
    Code (csharp):
    1.     if (PixelCrushers.SaveSystem.HasSavedGameInSlot(1))
    2.     {
    3.         PixelCrushers.SaveSystem.LoadFromSlot(1);
    4.         yield break;
    5.     }
    6.     #if UNITY_5_3_OR_NEWER ...

14. Strolski

Strolski

Hokay,

Say I want to add an additional footstep, or replace one of the current footstep effects for this specific project. I have an alien growth in the scene that the player will be walking on. I want it to sound like a mushy skin sound when the player walks on it, when the player hits it, I want it to "bleed" a certain color, much like the current flesh tag does. It would be cooler if attacking it would damage the player if they are near the area and attacking it with some kind of melee attack. How would I go about adding this in?

15. Strolski

Strolski

I also want to add, that when I was testing footsteps, the assets which I tagged as flesh, suddenly turned pink in my project tab. They are not pink in scene, nor are they pink when I select one and look at it in the observation window on the bottom right, only in the project assets window. Any idea how to fix that?

16. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

TY for that.. found it and was able to get the turret to apply damage to the NPC. Discovered a LOT about the way you can affect different body parts with variable damage whilst I was doing it as well :)

TY again.

M

17. petercoleman

petercoleman

In the latest Version we have a physical Player third person character and in theory as specified in the manual we should be able to change the TPC Character model to one of our own. Not tried that yet but would wish to do so later.....

At this point I would like to change the FP Hands (weapon) for starters and had set up my own weapons and hands in previous versions.....

Now in the simplest form I would like at least to be able to change the texture on the FP hands to match the fact that I have changed the texture on the TP Character.....

We have details in the PDF manual re changing the TP Player character but nothing regarding the First person view arms, hands and weapon model or even its texture?

Personally I cant even find the First Person Arm and hand Model any longer in the latest version?

Anyone have any idea where the first Person Arms/Hands/Weapon model and textures are Hiding so I can see if I can change them to suit my game?

Thanks

Peter

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

They're part of the weapon models. For example, the sniper arms are sub-meshes in Assets / RFPSP / Models / Weapons / Sniper_Anim.fbx. The hand textures are in Assets / RFPSP / Textures.

19. Amy_Lee87

Amy_Lee87

MFPS 2.0 is pretty awesome: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/101171

The gunplay isn't as good as RFPSP, but the multiplayer with game modes is fantastic.

Will RFPSP come with a multi-player option? I wouldn't mind spending an extra 60 for such a product. Since networking is a nightmare, I'm considering just working with MFPS 2.0 and editing the gunplay vs adding multiplayer to RFPSP.

20. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi TonyLi,

Thanks very much for the pointer.

Yes I had seen the hands Texture and had seen the Arms/Weapon Model also though I was not sure they were the correct model object to work with when trying to edit or replace them....

When one inspects the Arm/Weapon models and looks at them in editor import settings the materials tab says do not import materials but use the unity default and when I place one in a scene it has no texture and only the default material...

Question is therefore how does the system call the textures to the Model in FP View in game and where are the textures used that are applied to the arms (weapons) models in game? How are we supposed to apply a new texture to the arms if not drag a texture to the ones which have the default unity material applied which the model import message as said says don't change the texture?

Even then to change a texture its easy to edit an existing texture appropriately as one can see its layout as related to the UV mapping and edit appropriately but without one you can't do that? If the arms texture was part of the hands one I would be OK but it does not seem to be the case. I thought perhaps the arms are linked to the main Soldier Body Texture though I cant see how that can be the case as in the model itself the hands are not separate from the arms :)

Not sure why the manual does not have a piece about the FP weapon changing to cover this but then again its quite sparse in covering most things.

Peter

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Can you make a new copy of the FBX (e.g., Sniper_Anim), rename it, and assign a new material even if the importer says not to? This way you'll only be changing the copy and not affecting the sniper rifle.

22. jnbbender

jnbbender

Suggestions for a Windows diff tool. I am using v1.41 and have many awesome updates to the scripts:) I'm worried about losing these super awesome updates when I upgrade. Any suggestions on how to merge my files after I upgrade? On Windows (I'm not a Windows developer)

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

When I need to do a quick diff on Windows, I use https://www.diffchecker.com/

You could also install cygwin and get all your familiar POSIX tools.

You'll want to go through each customization by hand, rather than merging them manually, because Azuline may already have implemented the same feature natively.

When I customize third party code, I'll often add a unique comment tag such as "//[TonyLi]" to make them easy to find.

24. jnbbender

jnbbender

Same here (adding initials). It's gonna be a pain. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a look.

EDIT- Just looked around and found "Code compare", a diff tool that integrates into visual studio. Kdiff3 is also available on Windows:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    TonyLi likes this.
  25. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi TonyLi,

Thanks for that.

Tried everything I can find and think of now and after some days have given up for now...

e.g. Changing textures, materials, creating new, simply changing the color of a material shader and so on as well as making a copy of the Anim .fbx as suggested....

With regard to that - the weapon models are not the issue...actually what I am trying to do for now is simply change the visible arms color from its kind of greenish color to a blue shade as that's what I have changed my Player and Ally characters clothes color too which differentiates them as a team from enemy soldiers using the defaults. Yes?

Now in First person (weapon) view the problem is the Player arm "Sleeves" which I need to change to the bluish color. These sleeves though attached to the FPS weapons attached to FPS Player in editor/game are not part of the Weapon Anim (s) in the default folders as imported - they are separate left and right arm sleeve .fbx (prefab/mesh) and both have no textures imported by default. (tried importing some too but makes no diff).

Now in editor I can change these sleeve colors by any method of applying a new texture/material directly and or dragging my new material to the relative material slot - in editor the Player FPS weapon will then display showing my new (blue) texture/material correctly. So too I can test this by then dragging say a sleeve prefab only from its default folder into the scene and it again displays a correct new texture/material....

The problem is when I test run the game the new texture/material does not display and the Player FPS weapon still displays the original default greenish one. It effectively ignores all I have tried over a few days of work....

I have also tried deleting the relevant .meta files to so Unity rebuilds them on restart but that failed to help too.

Simple thing to change a texture/color/material on an object one would think and it is except it seems in this case where it seems to be impossible...something going on I don't see or understand.

Anyway eventually I want to change/replace/add to most default characters and weapons and have done so in previous versions of RFPSP so I had some custom Player weapons (without same problem). Currently I have updated and or replaced many of my earlier custom enemies/characters which is easier now to do....

As there is a new tutorial for adding a TP new player, but not adding new FPO Player or FP weapons thought I would try just changing the FP Player arms (hands) for now but I seem to be stuck at a a seemingly simple hurdle of changing the FP Player arm Sleeves. In previous issues of course the structure was different - now its better being that most elements are separate except I cant edit or adjust one of them in this case :)

At the moment I don't have a specific custom Player model or weapon models in mind to use for my game though I have a variety to choose from, so changing the default would be a simple way of a basic change I thought for now.

The game is modern/future/alien so characters and weapons would need be different throughout the game so a lot to do and stuck at the moment. Importantly I don't have any issues with custom characters and have recently added many (Ally, Civilian, Enemies)

Being able to change the FPS weapon Arm Sleeves texture/material is clearly going to be very useful to me as opposed to being stuck with bare arms as I need numerous variations which is was attempting to test that out now.

I have contacted azulinestudios by email to ask about the FPS Player sleeves issue so hopefully I will get a helpful reply.

Looks like I may now have to try and jump forward and try replacing/creating new fps weapons altogether and I have custom weapon with arms existing in a scene I have not looked at since updating to the new versions of RFPSP and Unity. That wont function now since the updates so I think I will need to see If I am able to get it working again and see if I can get a custom FP weapon/arms functioning. Ideally that should not be necessary as the way it works now should mean a user can duplicate / copy an existing and edit appropriately to make a new FPS weapon up as most parts are separated now. (minus the sleeves in my case).

No auto creation of Player/NPC Characters or weapons here and I have to know if I can use my own custom ones and how difficult it might be if I am to continue developing with RFPSP or change to another system/controller altogether, though I don't see one that is ideal for my needs at all...even anything that integrates with RFPSP of which there is a limit.

I also need to update AI and other game dynamics to something more advanced and complete than RFPSP which has none in many game play areas. e.g. vehicles, particle weapons, character interaction, and much more.

First I think I should backup my project folders again -which will take me a while.

Thanks again

:)

26. ocimpean

ocimpean

I am shopping around and I was wondering if this is the best FPS Kit on the market right now? I have no idea about RFPS, but did some reading and I see Tony Li is quite involved on this forum, and that's a good sign in my books. Is there some integration going on with Dialogue System?

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks @ocimpean! I'm also quite involved with UFPS. The Dialogue System has integration with both. I recommend playing the demo for each, and examining their feature sets, Asset Store reviews, and developer websites.

ocimpean likes this.
  28. TonyLi

TonyLi

@petercoleman - I changed this image:

Assets / RFPSP / Object / NPCs / Soldier / Textures / soldier / Unity_soldier_Body_DIF_wip copy

which is assigned to Sniper > Sniper_Anim > All > LeftArmRoot > SoldierSleeve.

I made it orange, and now my player looks like an escaped convict.

29. jnbbender

jnbbender

30. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Tony,

Not tried it but thought of that....I imagined that changing that would have changed all the other "Soldiers" which share the same material to be "Convicts" too which I did not want to do :)

I will check that out though....

At the moment I am going to have a go at updating another Scene i have i mentioned earlier where I have Custom Sci-Fi Enemies and custom Weapons as they will all need updating to work with the latest versions of RFPSP and Unity.

Thank you.

31. danteswap

danteswap

He There I am Working On A Scene With Multiple terrains So The Footsteps On the First Terrain Works Correctly but As soon As I Move To Next Terrain The footsteps Stops To Work And When The First Terrain Gets Disabled Or so footsteps don't Work , how to make Them Work On Multiple terrains

32. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi All,

I guess this is for azulinestudios though anyone else may be able to help.

1. Currently with the latest version...If I place an NPC in a scene with patrol path attached the NPC will patrol fine. If I spawn NPC's with Patrol Path set - max 5 NPC's at one time they wont Patrol the path and all bunch up together at Path point 1 and wont attempt to move along the path?

2. Still cant change successfully the texture material on the FPS Player Mesh Arm Sleeves?

3. All my characters still dis-appear when the player bumps into them? Falling out of the level?

Thanks

Peter

33. ocimpean

ocimpean

It is a little bit hard to figure out without having both and trying, especially for amateurs like me :)
    This is why I asked more experienced people. I understand it is not politically correct to name names, but in the same time not all assets can have 5 stars and I can not buy all of them, unfortunately
    ;)

34. danteswap

danteswap

Who Is The Developer or Moderator Of this Asset ?

35. thenamesace

thenamesace

@Azuline-Studios is

36. petercoleman

petercoleman

[QUOTE
    Some can or do ="ocimpean, post: 3301138, member: 377290"]It is a little bit hard to figure out without having both and trying, especially for amateurs like me :)
    This is why I asked more experienced people. I understand it is not politically correct to name names, but in the same time not all assets can have 5 stars and I can not buy all of them, unfortunately
    ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi ocimpean,

I have a few other controllers/frameworks. I have Game Kit Controller, Ice Creature Control and Combat Controller some of which are quite expensive.

Yes Buying all would be the only way to actually test them out and see if they fit your needs and also liking as some are easier to get on with than others on a personal preference basis...

I have considered getting some others like Invector or Opsive systems and or other asset plugins like Emerald AI. None of them are really complete and all have some things others don't and it depends I guess on what features your game needs.

Some can or do integrate with RFPSP apparently though I had no luck getting ICE to work with RFPSP and gave up wasting time fighting with it.

All I can say is RFPSP is by far the best value for Money that's for sure though it lacks many features - those it does have however it does well in my humble opinion....

All are hard work (partly the nature of the beast - game making) and most can be very expensive if you want to add a lot of other assets to them to extend the feature set and hope too that they work properly and integrate properly and actually achieve what you want without breaking your projects, having bugs or having to wait forever for feature updates you may need - Coming soon.

RFPSP is a solid asset and you can make a playable game with it out of the box and the rest is a bonus and up to us users. It would be nice if it had more features and game dynamics most games might need like dynamic AI, vehicles, flying things and such like but its the best option I have found to date myself for what is a more than reasonable cost compared to others in my opinion....

If more assets, features and functions are wanted then one might still have to spend a great deal of money to integrate them if RFPSP is missing things you need or you may need to wait a long time and see if RFPS eventually gets them in built as standard, but then that's the case to for most other similar products which are much ,more expensive...

From what I know, have tried, can see and read RFPSP is hands down the best you can get by far for the price :)

I have just been testing the latest version of the GKC with my project as it has a lot of features I need like vehicles which RFPSP does not have however it is also from my own tests much slower than RFPSP and the performance is not high enough for me apart from anything else.

RFPSP is also the easiest framework you could possibly get currently in many basic areas for non programmers though adding your own custom characters, weapons and so on can be quite a bit of work.

If I could find something better I would use it no question - even at a much higher cost but as is the case I would have to spend a great deal first to discover how good any other products are and risk them joining all the other assets I bought which gather dust on the shelf and that also wastes masses of man hours to discover.

Had RFPSP had a much wider range of features and cost a lot more that would be as is always the case a better choice than having to by a lot of additional assets from separate developers and hope they integrate successfully and work as advertised....as well as suit your specific needs.

TonyLi's Save system is one of those excellent ones that does and is a must have.

All the best.

Peter

Mark_01 and TonyLi like this.
  37. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks! The Save System is available for both RFPS and UFPS, btw.

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. petercoleman

petercoleman

Noticed that :)

Peter

39. rob535

rob535

Hello, I integrated the Exploder asset with RFPS yesterday.. If anyone is interested.

40. jnbbender

jnbbender

Which?

41. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi everyone,

I want to get a drive able vehicle into RFPSP so first of all I have got hold of some various drive able car assets from the asset store. Some Free and some paid and initially have set them up in a new empty Unity project together with installing the standard asset Unity Vehicles Package.

All of them work and I am able to Drive a car.....

However if I install RFPSP this disable the driving of the cars in the car asset scenes....

I get an error message in the console saying "Input Axis Mouse ScrollWheel is not set up"

I guess the RFPSP Project settings have changed things causing this.

I have looked at the Project Input Manager Settings and tried to change them and so on but to no avail though and I am not sure exactly what settings they should contain for the Mouse ScrollWheel anyway. From what know they look OK to me. Looked around the web for a helpful answer but not found anything I can make sense of in this case.

All I want to do at the moment is get the Car scenes working so I can drive a car in them as before installing RFPSP and worry about getting a car then into an RFPSP scene later. I just want to get rid of what seems to be an incompatibility so I can move forward.

As is I am stuck and any help or advice would be most helpful.

I have attached a screen shot showing a car scene with the Input Manager settings for the Mouse ScrollWheel and the error message in the bottom status bar area. Perhaps someone knows if the current Mouse ScrollWheel settings need adjusting though perhaps the issue is more involved than that?

I will keep trying but don't really know how to fix the ScrollWheel error issue and must resort to blind trial and error :)

Thank you.

Peter

Attached Files:

42. falcoware

falcoware

HI
    I'm adding new zombies.
    Everything works I can kill with the weapon.
    But the grenades do not work on them
    Tell me please ?
    What am I doing wrong ?

43. muhammadadnan0075

muhammadadnan0075

TonyLi likes this.
  44. TonyLi

TonyLi

You're in the right place, looking at the Input Manager. Open your non-RFPS project, look at Input Manager, and jot down the settings for the "Mouse ScrollWheel" element. Then copy the settings exactly into your RFPS project. Note that "Mouse ScrollWheel" does not have a space character between Scroll and Wheel.

Compare your new zombie with the RFPS zombie in the sandbox example scene. Make sure the tag, layer, and colliders are similar.

Congratulations! Very cool. But I worry about the poor woman! :)

muhammadadnan0075 likes this.
  45. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

@Azuline-Studios WOW! The latest version of RFPS is AMAZING! I would say hands down its the best Controller on the Asset Store by a long mile. Third Person mode works so smooth and its VERY EASY to switch out characters without having to split up the meshes for body, head and arms.

I really hope this can reach multiplayer, but with the updates you have made so far makes it a lot easy to add. Thank you very much! :D

46. muhammadadnan0075

muhammadadnan0075

Hahaha Thanks :) , well that's what makes this game fun.

47. jnbbender

jnbbender

Time for some sharing. Been working on a game which takes place in the middle of the night. This requires Night Vision and has been a lot of fun. The only problem is when the NPC's die and drop their goodies, the FPS can't find them in the tall grass. I've been playing with ASE's Shader Editor and wrote a "Blinker" to flash the weapons/ammo/health kit when they are dropped. I just change the shader back and forth from "Standard" to "Blinker" when they are dropped and picked up. Anyway, I thought I'd share the shader. The ASE tags are still in, in case anyone else uses the tool.

Attached Files:

TonyLi likes this.
  48. jnbbender

jnbbender

Here's one more that takes a texture. Now I'll stop.

Attached Files:

49. halo_of_the_sun

halo_of_the_sun

Has anyone else had Arrows act as a Player Tag before? I'm getting an issue where I'll shoot an arrow into a door that has an OnTriggerEvent for Tag "Player" and the arrow will activate the prompt to open it.
    Kind of fun to open a door with an arrow but I should fix it hah

50. TonyLi

TonyLi

I might have to incorporate that mechanic into a game. Sounds like it would be even more fun than kicking open doors. :)

Is it possible that the arrow prefab is tagged Player or the layer is the same as the player's?