Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Realistic FPS Prefab [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Apr 5, 2013.

1. sxnblast2

sxnblast2

Hello, i was wondering how you integrated the Tactical Shooter AI asset into RFPSP 1.45?
    It only shows integration for RFPSP 1.20 (i think), but i get errors when following the instructions due to me using the 1.45 version :(

I've checked your game (Hearts of Cold) and i'm pretty sure it uses Tactical Shooter AI and RFPSP 1.45, but let me know if i'm wrong.

I just really want to use the "Tactical Shooter AI" asset since the RFPSP AI isn't very good for shooting AIs, since they only follow you and stay still when shooting at you.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  2. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sxnblast2,

Yes I use TSAI and Characters from RFPS and I do believe I am using RFPS V1.45 and use both as terrestrial Enemies. I am also able to use RFPS together with other Assets of various kinds to use Quadrupeds (Animals), to have them attack the Player and other characters and each other as does RFPS. This way I can also have similar follow the player. I can also use the same to simulate things like Drones Flying, shooting and so on and more....

Creative thinking helps in achhieving various things and intergating other assets can help to achieve other objective behaviours obver and above RFPS defaults or basics.

RFPS Characters as enemies : The default AI behaviours are quite Good out of the box, but these can be enhanced by varying their attack, ranges, power and frire rate, health, speed and so on, as well as using different animation. such as crouch, prone, stand crawl, sneak and so on so not all behave the same. There are many other parameters, wepons and so on one can add to provide a lot of variety for enemies and one can also use a lot of differing models,
    clothing, colours and so on. Using creatively and hard work is key.....

Additionally for example it does not matter so much how an enemy behaves if they approach from hidden locations, hunt or stand, or follow the Player when attacking, if they surprise the player as a group for example and have high health shooting accuracy, fire rate and so on a player wont have much time to worry too much about what the enemy is actually doing as the player will be taking too many hits and may often have to retreat or die quickly. Setting up scenarios where enemies can have differing behaviours, hearing or sight ranges, patroling and so on, if yoy design levels well and for specific scenarios, enemies may attack and if the player retreats under heavy fire and so on to recover health enemies will return to their patrolling which again adds to their seeming inteligence when they have none effectively, trick of eye and so on which is what all video games are....

In a balanced game one does not need all enemies to be too clever or hard but to vary that as with other things so that the player is not dying or being out smarted all of the time, but some of the time. Its surprising how good you can make things by not just throwing in a shedful of default enemies out of the box but by putting a lot of effort into creating and testing and so on different things you may have to make up or edit yourself. Setting up RFPS Character, enemies, friends, allies, not passive civilians to attack one another or all in battle can also be a good way of adding interesting scenarios when the player does not know who is who or what best option to survive to take when under risk of death as it were in the heat of a battle. Who do I kill first, do I run away and hide until health is restored and so on - if I run away will everyone be already killed by others? Thats no fun :)

As to TSAI Enemies, Allies, Followers, Teams and so on. Firstly one needs to have a cvopy of TSAI. There is some code somewhere that is available to be inserted to integrate TSAI with RFPS. I can not remember where I got it from or where it needs to be inserted, it was so long ago now. TSAI is long depreciated so I dont thing theirs a web site for it now existing, I dont know. Perhaps the integration details are in the TSAI manual?

TSAI is in fact a really advaced AI system, however it is not easy to use in many ways. Because it is advaced and the possibilties of it are potentially vast then by the nature of that it is complex to set up Characters using the full range of features and capabilities can be a big difficult job.

Unless you will be using just the single defult Soldier TSAI character for all TSAI characters in a game then you will need to set up any new Character Models to work with TSAI system and that can be difficult. TSAI character Models have a particular structure and not all Character asset models one can get from elsewhere will not easily work with it if at all. Adding new Weapons to new character models and so on is not exactly easy to do.

TSAI Characters can also be a pain in that they can often misbehave during Gameplay for a variety of reasons. e.g Navigation problems. If a single TSAI character mis behaves for example by getting stuck some where for any reason it can seriously affect game performance as when 1 mis behaves other TSAI characters in a level some times tend to do the some which is very off putting to the game player. TSAI Characters can be a problem when navigating some locations for reasons which are not certain to me and which we have make a guesses when trying to overcome and find a fix.

Many TSAI mis behaving I believe is partly at least just like any other dynamic character or other dynamic objects be unduely influenced by low fsp, bad perormance. In such circumstances it has always been the case that any AI is prone to throw up issues, mis behaving, falling through floors, terrain and so on.

TSAI requires a lot of processing power for the advanced AI decision making processing and communication between factions, teams and so on if you are using a lot of the different such AI abilities within one level and have many AI characters and other dynamic objects in the Level all requiring processing power all at once, thats notwithstanding the requirement of all other objects in a level which is using up hard disk space, memory and processing power and the data streams...

That being said if you have a dev computer system that can handle it and you can handle TSAI then it should be very capable or returning high quality AI....

Out of the box TSAI characters with some little effort updating any obvious things like many have yellow weapns and so on, they should work as is by just placing them in a level to use the default settings they have been given by the developer. However the more different characters you want to apply TSAI to utilse the full range of possibilites may require a great deal of work indeed if you need many varied characters, having many varied behaviours, weapons, special effects and so on. A large complex game with many characters, perhaps hundreds of varying kinds would be a major undertaking working with the AI alone. Go for it.

Grab 20240309092239 w1360h768 x1123y2z1042r295.jpg

Hope that helps

Peter

3. Julydevelopergame

Julydevelopergame

4. sxnblast2

sxnblast2

Ah, i see.
    I guess TSAI isn't that easy to set up :eek:
    It does have a RFPS integration documentation, but it's only for RFPS 1.20 sadly.

I don't really want to use the soldier model from TSAI and RFPS as i am making my own character models for my game, but it should be easy to change the models, well atleast it's easy in RFPS.

I might use some alternative like Emerald AI, which has RFPS 1.45 integration, or just use the normal RFPS AI.
    Afterall i don't really think shooting AI's need to be very complex to make a decent game.

Well, thank you for the helpful info regarding TSAI & RFPS :)

5. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sxnblast2,

I really did not want to put you off using TSAI. If you have the integration details in the manual, have you tried using it with RFPS V1.45? Next time I have my project open (HOCR V2) If I remember, I will check which version of RFPS I am using if I can find a difinitive reference inside the RFPS install if thats of any help.

Depending on what kind of game you are making RFPS enemies may be good enough.

If you have or can get hold of or make yourself Character models with a bone/rig set up like the default TSAI characters, then you would be able to use them I guess. I do using some various purchased character assets as you can see in my HOCR V1 Steam Game. I have been able to set up some various soldiers of different kinds, e.g on Earth styles and Sci-Fi styles. I also use some of the default TSAI characters and updated them just a little and with some texture variations and also changing to new weapons for many TSAI characters. It can be done and once you have done it once it can get easier in terms of understanding how to set them up, but its not like a 1 click creation and takes some effort and testing. If you look at the TSAI manual regarding how the Models need to be set up you can see its quite a lot of work to set up each different character.

I have an old version of Emerald AI but could never got on with it and found the performance poor with my complex levels. I dont know about the new latest version out now perhaps that would be good but I am not sure that one integrates with RFPS.

In the HOCR Steam Demo there are some TSAI characters (enemies) and you can perhaps also see how I have used RFPS enemies in that and also examples of both in numerous videos available at setem and my you tube channel, You can tell which enemies in the game and videos are TSAI enemies as they of course often tend to straffe and dodge about or hide from the player while attacking and their AI is clearly somewwhat more advanced.

RFPS Enemies. Consider that apart from what I have described previously you can use obstacles effectively e.g. boxes, crates, pillars, low walls (crouch shoot) and use paths effectively too so with just one path or two path point and patrol or patrol once command get them to move to a point or move back and forth behind obstacles, or use stand watch to hide them behind pillars and such like and use ranges to keep them there until they see you or you shoot at them first. If you move away or hide out of sight they will go back to where they started. There is also the parametr which is set at 2.5 for distance. You can find it near the top. Setting this to 5, 10, 15 and alike will help prevent enemies or even allies getting too close in your face so if you have a number say following player then the distance they stop near the player will differ and they wont be bunched up....

I like some enemies on a rooftop and if you give them a path to walk, long range, high fire rate and health they can be a killer and best dealt with using a (player) sniper rifle.

A lot can be done, more than I describe here.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Franciscotx56 likes this.
  6. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Everyone,

I am still working on my Game projects but I have been somewhat quite on the forums of late.

Been busy as I had to recover my medieval Hack and Slash project and have been working on that for a change.

Heres a Screen Shot.

KingsRealmVillage.jpg

Peter

7. Julydevelopergame

Julydevelopergame

ok

8. unicat

unicat

Ha, RFPS works fine in Unity 6 . :)

RFPS_Unity_6.png

9. petercoleman

petercoleman

Thas good to know. I could do with a Unity update :)

Peter