Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic FPS Prefab [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Azuline-Studios, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Weblox

Weblox

Awesome!! Thanks a lot. I got it working for the healthBar now. But to get Hunger / Thirst working too, I assume the script does need some modification (? to read Hunger / Thirst values instead of Health values ?) ? Or should I just use the same script on the Hunger/Thirst Sliders? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. franky_li

franky_li

Glad to help.
    Hunger/Thirst is basically the same, but slider start value should be 0 in that case:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class ThirstBar : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     private Slider thirstBar;
    4.     private float oldThirst = -512;
    5.     private FPSPlayer player;
    7.     void Start()
    8.     {
    9.         player = FindObjectOfType<FPSPlayer>();
    10.         thirstBar = GetComponent<Slider>();
    11.         thirstBar.maxValue = player.maxThirstPoints;
    12.     }
    14.     void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         //only update if value to be displayed has changed
    17.         if (player.thirstPoints != oldThirst)
    18.         {
    19.             thirstBar.value = player.thirstPoints;
    20.             oldThirst = player.thirstPoints;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class HungerBar : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     private Slider hungerBar;
    4.     private float oldHunger = -512;
    5.     private FPSPlayer player;
    7.     void Start()
    8.     {
    9.         player = FindObjectOfType<FPSPlayer>();
    10.         hungerBar = GetComponent<Slider>();
    11.         hungerBar.maxValue = player.maxHungerPoints;
    12.     }
    14.     void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         //only update if value to be displayed has changed
    17.         if (player.hungerPoints != oldHunger)
    18.         {
    19.             hungerBar.value = player.hungerPoints;
    20.             oldHunger = player.hungerPoints;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }

Weblox likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Peter - The challenge is that UMA instantiates the character at runtime. To handle it on your own, you'll need to write a script that uses Transform.Find() to find the hand bone, and then parents the weapon to it.

Alternatively, I think you can use ootii's Mount Points to handle it without having to write any code. It's compatible with UMA, but I haven't used it with UMA myself. You can confirm with the developer on the Mount Points thread.

Weblox likes this.
  4. Weblox

Weblox

@franky_li - Thank you so much for all the help and effort. Your Scripts are working flawless, now I still have one more question regarding UIBars :

- How can I safely get rid of the Handle / Handle Slide Area and still have my Fill Area filling out the whole Slider?

This is a nice looking game and clean interface. I see you got the Handles succesfully removed on your side. The Minimap looks good too, maybe there is a circular shape available? From looking at their YouTube the radar & compass feature would exactly fit my Projects needs, but I definitely would need some guidance to integrate it with RFPSP.

Also UGUIMiniMap is working nicely when using its default Canvas. Moving the UI Elements over to my Player UI Canvas produces errors that I cant seem to resolve

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  5. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

6. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

I am using the dialouge system with sinvnetory yes.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Okay your two issues were:

That's the way S-Inventory is designed. When you drop something, it disappears from the world.

Make sure your health pack has an SInventoryConsumablePickup component. Untick its Use On Pickup checkbox so you can pick it up without using it right away. Also check that your player has an FPSInventoryEvents component; this component listens for changes in S-Inventory and applies those changes to RFPS (e.g., when you use a medkit from S-Inventory's inventory, it heals the RFPS player).

If you get stuck, check the setup steps on the Dialogue System for Unity 1.x / S-Inventory / RFPS manual page. You might also compare your scene to the RFPS S-Inventory Example scene to look for differences on the player, S-Inventory components, or your pickups.

8. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

Thank you tony, I'll give it a shot.

9. guavaman

guavaman

You're not going to get an Action-based system that does all that Rewired does without CPU usage. The actual performance is dependent on how you use it as well:
    http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/HowTos.html#optimization

jons190 likes this.
  10. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

Nope the problem is still here, I checked and the medkit has the component that you said, I loaded up the S - Inventory RFPS Prefab example, and this happened. The guns/melee doesn't equip and medkit doesn't apply to health when used. There is no errors either with any of this happening.
    fast forward 0:55

11. NickNovell

NickNovell

Hello to all.
    Anyone can help me setup the SoldierBadNPC with Emerald AI 2.0? I can't make it to work. Any help would be appreciate. Thank you.

12. Weblox

Weblox

What exactly does not work? Are you using Emeralds Setup Manager? Did you follow the setup Tutorials for AI? Are you using the right rig (humanoid/generic) for your animations? :confused:

13. NickNovell

NickNovell

Thank you for your interest. Yes, I followed the AI tutorial integration. Their "Skeleton" creature from their demo works nice in my RFPSP scene but the soldierNPC doesn't. I can't get the muzzle flash to work. Soldier model has always the muzzle flash showing from the beginning and not only when he is shooting the player. Also I don't know where to put the shooting gun audio file and the picking up gun too when soldier dies.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  14. Weblox

Weblox

I suppose that is because the Muzzleflash Object is a remain from RFPSPs own AI Solution. Emerald AI would not know how to handle it. Same with the Pickup Gun, that is part of RFPSPs own AI Script functionality. However you might be able to hook into Emeralds Death Event to set something up on your own. Also I am not too sure how to setup Shooter AI (burst shots etc.) with Emerald AI, as I have not done it yet. As I understand Emerald AI lets you have up to 3 different attacks, that can be either melee or ranged. For ranged Attacks you can use an effect as a projectile and another effect for collision. I am not sure if traditional Shooter AI (with Automatic weapons and burst shots) are supported yet, but you might find more help in the Emerald AI thread also.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  15. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,
    It looks like there are some issues with your project. The robot's animation doesn't work, and the HUD readouts are missing. Also, the screen is cut off in your recording so I couldn't see the Inspector.

Can you try to set up RFPS, Dialogue System, and S-Inventory in a new, empty project? Then you can compare the projects to identify that's misconfigured.

You said there are no errors. Are there any warnings or unusual info logs in the Console window?

16. NickNovell

NickNovell

Thank you very much for your time to reply. I didn't find anything yet, but your answer is very helpful. Maybe I will return to the RFPS AI till I found a solution. Thank you again.
    If someone else find a solution and has any thoughts to share, I will appreciate that.

17. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for that. I have had a quick look at that. Bit expensive for me at the moment as its not critical issue for me and I need to spend on other assets :) The main reason I integrated UMA characters was because I want to add Lip Sync at some stage and I can use the characters I create anyway in the mean time as non important Non Combatant Civilians, As well as Lip Sync I probably need Behavior Designer and perhaps your Dialogue System sooner or later. Long job with me this game making :)

Anyway you have given me another idea which I can try to get a weapon attached to a UMA Character though it probably wont work and will return an error :) I will give it a go when I get around to it.

At the moment I have some issues with TSAI enemy characters shooting at me through walls I have to try and fix :)

Thanks again

Peter

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

@petercoleman - Here's a script that will attach a weapon to a UMA character:

AttachWeapon.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UMA;
    5. public class AttachWeapon : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     public GameObject weaponPrefab;
    9.     public string rightHandName = "RightHand";
    10.     public Vector3 weaponPosition = new Vector3(-0.158f, 0.372f, -0.02f);
    11.     public Vector3 weaponRotation = new Vector3(-0.02f, 356f, 8.12f);
    13.     IEnumerator Start()
    14.     {
    15.         float timeout = Time.time + 2;
    16.         int hash = UMASkeleton.StringToHash(rightHandName);
    17.         UMAData umaData = null;
    18.         GameObject rightHand = null;
    19.         do
    20.         {
    21.             yield return null;
    22.             if (umaData == null) umaData = GetComponent<UMAData>();
    23.             if (umaData != null && umaData.skeleton != null) rightHand = umaData.skeleton.GetBoneGameObject(hash);
    24.         }
    25.         while (rightHand == null && Time.time < timeout);
    26.         if (rightHand == null)
    27.         {
    28.             Debug.LogError("Can't find " + rightHand + " on " + name, this);
    29.         }
    30.         else
    31.         {
    32.             var weapon = Instantiate(weaponPrefab);
    33.             weapon.transform.SetParent(rightHand.transform);
    34.             weapon.transform.localPosition = weaponPosition;
    35.             weapon.transform.localRotation = Quaternion.Euler(weaponRotation);
    36.         }
    37.     }
    38. }

I got the position and rotation values from this article.

I haven't tested this with RFPS. You might need to modify it to set up muzzle flash, etc.

Weblox likes this.
  19. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

No there is not, and the character hud is missing because im my scene i have a hud and i made the original text transparent.

20. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi TonyLi,

Thanks for that and the link. I had seen that article one of the very few I could find on the web though it was not detailed enough for me to work with. You complete script is much more helpful thank you.

Any idea how to actually use it?

e.g.
    I am not sure to what/were I attach or apply the script.
    Not sure if I need to create a slot, recipe and so on for it which I am now an expert at making :) and attach that to the character at runtime via the normal UMA methods for other body parts, (slot items. e.g, Armor, Helmet, Hat)
    or if it just needs a standard Unity prefab (rfps) to be placed somewhere say the resources folder which would load at runtime?

UMA is quite complex piece of kit and when it comes to customising it even more complex (not when you know how I am sure) it seems and not much in the way of detailed tutorials for adding additional items like weapons.

Anyway no worries I am sure I will sort it out if I play around with it long enough...

Back to that and updating my TSAI characters :)

Peter.

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

What versions of Unity, RFPS, S-Inventory, and Dialogue System for Unity are you using?

Have you tried the example scene in a new, empty project? The steps to test this are:

1. Create a new project.
    2. Import RFPS.
    3. Import S-Inventory.
    4. Import the Dialogue System.
    5. Import the Dialogue System's S-Inventory Support.
    6. Import the Dialogue System's S-Inventory + RFPS Support.
    7. Set up the UI inputs.
    8. Play the RFPS S-Inventory Example scene.

Add it to the NPC and assign a weapon model prefab. After UMA generates the NPC model at runtime, the script will instantiate a copy of the weapon prefab and attach it to the NPC's right hand.

22. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi TonyLi,

Thanks very much once again for your very much appreciated help.

That works for like a charm for attaching a weapon to a RFPSP/UMA Character.

It's all a little bit tricky but gets easier the more you do/learn.

I have attached a screen shot and the character works perfectly as would any RFPS character. I can now use UMA for non combat NPC's and integrated as RFPS allies, enemies or just talking story telling characters (one I install Lip Sync) hopefully.

I still have a few minor issues with UMA and RFPS, if you look at the screen shot the UMA/RFPS character on the steps holding the weapon has a helmet visor which should be transparent as the cube you can see at the foot of the steps which is clearly transparent and using the same materials as the visor. Cant seem to get transparency to work in UMA so the characters Visor is not transparent. Minor thing.

I also have always had some issues with RFPS weapon Muzzle flash's in as much as they are erratic in working on custom set ups I have found so the weapon on the UMA character does not have a muzzle Flash - cant get it to work and fed up of fighting RFPS with that issue so left that for now. Again not a big issue for now. I will be updating weapons with new ones sooner or later with better weapons and weapons effects so will fix those things later. That is if RFPS plays nicely as updating, default player arms, weapons and effects looks like a difficult task to me on past experience of that kind of thing in this asset. The devil is in the detail (to follow) and RFPS can be a major pain in some of these things not being user friendly at all.

Anyway UMA is basically sorted and my integration of TSAI progresses well so much more to do yet.

Thanks again very much indeed for your help.

Kind regards

Peter UMArfpsp_Trooper.jpg

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Peter,
    Glad to help!
    This is purely a UMA thing. UMA handles textures in a special way, using something called Overlays. If you post the question in the UMA forum thread, they can probably help out.

24. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi TonyLi,

Yes I have know about overlays as I set them all up manually myself for this character for every body part as well as the other components required. I created the UMA materials too and and applied them to the global library, the overlay, slot and wardrobe recipe as appropriate. All the items I did manually myself as the Character needed that to be done as I had it originally it was not set up correctly for all of those things. The texture the visor uses is transparent but not as far as UMA is concerned it seems as you say something it needs more than I am giving it :)

On another Note spent most of today backing up my project. Then installing the very latest version of Unity 2018.2.4 I believe and on opening my project which took 3 and a half hours for Unity to do its thing I am gobsmacked that there seems to be not one single error or issue which has amazed me :) I expected to kill my project bit not so apparently :)

I can now move on to other things needed without worrying about Updating Unity for some time.

I have some new models to add and am thinking of having a go at adding some volumetric lighting and that may well kill me :)

Anyway if anyone wants to know the latest Unity works for me and RFPSP - at least for me it does.

Thanks again

Peter

TonyLi likes this.
  25. petercoleman

petercoleman

UPDATE To Unity Version 2018.2.4 feedback

Having tested this further I have found it to be a bit erratic and at one stage crashed a particular level consistently numerous when trying to exit from the game when in test run play mode.

Rebooted - restarted project and changed to another level saved it - ran in windowed mode. Exited and that was OK so save level again and run in full screen play level and exit back to the editor this time OK.

When playing the level however I found that the performance had dropped dramatically with low fps. I have enemies deactivated too (activate them via triggers) so they were not a drain. Strangely enough when I activated all enemies in the level and played again the fps went back to something like normal. Weird stuff....

Anyway if you want to use the latest Unity Version I would back your project up and install the new version to a new folder install. That's what I have done not risking my project.

I will do some more testing later today. Now 2.35am.

Peter

jons190 likes this.
  26. chelnok

chelnok

I'm stuck to 2017.2 because of low fps in editor play mode. Have tried versions from 2017.3 to 2018.1 with same problem. Changing editor layout to default helps, so it's something with editor windows. Haven't look into it that much, as i don't need 2018 at the moment and 2017.2 is working fine.

27. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi chelnok,

I have decided to go back to 2018.1 as that works fine for me and 2018.2.4 I tried is unstable and Yes I find the same issue with the Editor with all versions of course its slower both in editor window and test run game play as opposed to a published .exe which is faster so we need a more powerful system for developing than playing which does not help when developing - we have to make it before we can play it. :) I also am getting somewhat slower fps with 2018.2.4 and also some of my content is not functioning with it so I am sticking with 2018.1 until such time as Unity stabilizes later versions that I can work with. A lot of assets are not yet compatible with 2018.1 leave alone the later versions.

:)

Peter

28. Mucossa

Mucossa

Really ? please send demo i'm searching long time ago rfps photon addon

29. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi All.

Added Volumetric Fog, Day/Night and Weather systems to my game.

New Volumetric Lights.jpg A New Day.jpg

Following on from these things being included I would like to ask a question if anyone can help please?

I have a Menu the game uses. Anyone know if I can add to it so as to give a game player an option to allow them to turn off specifically the Volumetric Lighting and Day Night Cycle systems?

I suppose I need to do this Globally ideally throughout all levels but it could be per level I guess. I had thought that perhaps I could add these items to prefabs under an empty game object which is what I do so I can re-use them easily in different game levels but adjust the settings in each level independently. Not sure if there's a way to de-activate/activate a game object/prefab via a Menu option or perhaps deactivate/activate the scripts attached to them as an alternatively or perhaps some other way it could be done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peter

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    C_Occlusion, thenamesace and TonyLi like this.
  30. neutral-mafty

neutral-mafty

I want to change only the model for FPS, but assigning a changed model does not play animation. Why?

31. Oderus_Urungus

Oderus_Urungus

When I bake light maps in 2017.3, it's affecting my weapon materials even though I don't have the FPS prefab in the scene during baking. Its making the materials on my weapons way too bright and washed out looking, almost like they have a slight white glow around them.
    I'm using a standard PBR shader, and have tried adjusting the values, but nothing changes. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit - If I'm indoors, it's nowhere near as bad, but outside my directional light is real-time and volumetric. I don't see how this would be the culprit though, since if I use just real-time lighting, the weapons look fine.

32. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

so basically i reported dialouge system, s-inv and rfps. and everything looks correct + no errors but items are not equiping and hunger + thirst values arent applying to character when the Drink or medkit are used in the inventory.

33. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,
    What versions are you using?

Versions:
    Unity:
    Realistic FPS Prefab:
    S-Inventory:
    Dialogue System:

I just ran this test successfully:
    1. Created a new, empty Unity 2017.4.8 project.
    2. Imported Realistic FPS Prefab 1.45.
    3. Imported the latest deprecated S-Inventory.
    4. Imported Dialogue System for Unity 1.8.5.
    5. Added the Horizontal and Vertical input settings.
    6. Imported Dialogue System / Third Party Support / Realistic FPS Prefab Support.
    7. Imported Dialogue System / Third Party Support / S-Inventory Support.
    8. Imported Dialogue System / Third Party Support / S-Inventory / RFPS S-Inventory Support.
    9. Played the scene Dialogue System / Third Party Support / S-Inventory / RFPS S-Inventory / Example / RFPS S-Inventory Example.
    10. Ran into the house. Made sure to take damage on the way.
    11. Picked up the shotgun and katana on the floor. Picked up the medkit on the shelf next to the door.
    12. Pressed 'i' to open the inventory.
      • Switched weapons by right-clicking on the shotgun or katana and selecting "Equip/Use".
      • Used the medkit by right-clicking on it and selecting "Equip/Use". This moved it into skillbar slot 5. Then I pressed '5' to use it.

34. jandd661

jandd661

Hey guys/gals! Used RFPSP to make this quick game if anyone wants to try it out. I found RFPSP pretty easy to customize though I didn't mess with the models in this project. Thanks for making it devs!

J4F Scifi Hostage Rescue

jons190 and Weblox like this.
  35. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi All,

I have another question if anyone can help?

I have a Car that moves around a road. The Car is a child of a platform that moves around a route. It then comes to a stop which in this case is not relevant I believe. The Platform has a box collider on it and rigid body attached to it so the Car behaves correctly and follows any contour of the road. e.g.up/down ramp or hill. The Car (model) has a Mesh collider on it. All works perfectly as far as the Car is concerned and works exactly as it should.....

My Problem is related to the in Game Characters in relation to the Car. e.g. Enemy, Ally Character. These can walk through the Car and I am unable to ascertain why as the Player cannot and in the Players case the Car is Physically solid, player cannot walk through it as said and can walk on top of it too :)

My question of course is why do RFPS Non Player Characters walk through it and don't seem to have the same physics recognition as the Player does? Then again they shoot through walls when they should not too :)

Anyone have any idea what I can do to apply something to the Car (or Charcaters) that I have not done that will make the Car solid and impenetrable to RFPS characters?

I have run out of options and tried everything and every permutation in set up of this vehicle I can think of.

Personally I cant see how they can or would/should ignore an object with mesh that has a mesh collider attached to it and behave differently than the Player does.towards it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks you.

Peter

36. NickNovell

NickNovell

Hello, they are navmesh Agents that’s why that happens. I have a car in my game too but it’s a navmesh obstacle. So agents don’t get through it.

37. hsxtreme

hsxtreme

Error in 2018.2

upload_2018-8-23_19-2-21.png

38. jandd661

jandd661

I believe you should have the mesh collider inverted (checkbox) and have a "navmesh obstacle" component (as suggested by NickNovell) attached to the car.

39. NickNovell

NickNovell

Hello, is it possible for the soldiers to point their guns on the player when they are shooting?
    Thank you.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  40. Hammre

Hammre

couple of questions about the Save System. I am doing a small 3 level shooter and would like to preserve health, weapons picked up and current ammo count across scenes. I started with health and rather quickly realized that even though I could get and restore hitpoints it didn't update the displayed values, which meant copying a more code,etc. :) So brings me to my question. Can the Save system handle this requirement? Do I need to use scene portals provided for scene changes? The price is so good I'm tempted to grab it anyway for future use.

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Hammre - Yes, it handles all that.

Scene portals aren't absolutely required, but they're convenient.

If you don't want to use a scene portal, the next most convenient way is to call SaveSystem.LoadScene() to change scenes. This records data (health, ammo, etc.) before leaving the old scene, then loads the new scene (optionally using a loading scene or transition effect), and then applies the recorded data to the player after loading the new scene. You can also specify a spawnpoint where you want the player to start.

And if you don't want to use SaveSystem.LoadScene(), you can manually call SaveSystem.RecordSavedGameData() before loading the scene, and then call SaveSystem.ApplySavedGameData() after loading.

42. Hammre

Hammre

Thanks Tony, that's very flexible.

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help!

44. jons190

jons190

I use the save system. I highly recommend!!!!!

TonyLi likes this.
  45. jons190

jons190

Lso For TOny Li. I just upgraded to the latest save system version a day back and am testing it now on the "testing and backup machine" I am/was a few version back, so reading the new documentation, I see some new features that I think might just fix a few of my issues. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you in a few days on the new system. Cheers!

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sounds good! An even newer update is coming out on Monday. It doesn't contain any breaking changes, just additions like an Animator Saver that you can use to save the state of a GameObject's animator. It may take 3-10 business days to appear on the Asset Store.

Weblox, franky_li and jons190 like this.
  47. jons190

jons190

Super cool! Most of my questions are around the save states. I'm trying to figure out the right combinations of save system settings and having FPS main in the scene to save/load my games only on the intro scene and not the actual level. (I have 12 playable levels,,all with quick intro scenes that play before the actual playable level loads)

Anyway. I'll experiment first and then hit ya up with some questions....

48. paulojsam

paulojsam

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

jons190, C_Occlusion and Weblox like this.
  50. jons190

jons190

Just picked up my new copy! Whoot whooo It's like x-mass around here!!!!! ;-) Also, TonyLi. Are you pumping out Knight models as well???????? Those look sweet! might have to use one in my next adventure.....

TonyLi likes this.