Search Unity

Discussion Real Time VFX (Motion Tracking)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Micahangelo2007, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Micahangelo2007

Micahangelo2007

Motion Tracking. Unity really needs motion tracking. I know that there are other softwares that do this but Unity is free for creators, and you can get good looking results in Unity. If you have heard of Blender, they do do this but it is really slow and the render takes for ever. When you render with Unity Recorder, it takes as long as the video is, amazing. I know Unity is busy making a lot of other things, like Dots, but this would be really amazing for animators and video editors. Unreal does this, but only in other softwares and not strait to it. This just an idea and I thought I would throw it out there. What could also be cool is being able to export a track and put it in Unity.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Motion tracking is slow in Blender for a reason: it's practically required if you want it to be at all accurate. Even GPU accelerated motion tracking solutions are generally pretty slow because of this. Even the motion tracking assets for Unity need to account for this, which is why they're so simplistic or reliant on taking camera motion data from things like iPhones to augment their limited tracking data.

Also why would this even be a beneficial core engine feature?

3. Micahangelo2007

Micahangelo2007

But rendering in blender is slow and showing the results of the tracking can be slow. But since Unity is real time you can get the results faster.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I literally just explained why it's slow. The first two sentences of my post.

And then I explained the limitations that assets have to account for this and being able to do this in real time. This was the next sentence.

5. spiney199

spiney199

This is a very incorrect understanding of how this stuff works. Just because Unity is 'real time' doesn't mean everything you do with it is automatically real time. There's a whole lot of limitations you work inside of when dealing with real time media, generally due to performance and hardware available.

Blender's rendering is 'slow' (presumably you're talking about Cycles, not Eevee) because it's a robust, high-quality render that does things you can't do in real time rendering.