Search Unity

Real-Time Strategy Game brainstorm and poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VeganApps, Oct 31, 2007.

?

Which race do you want to play/play against most in a RTSG:

1. science fiction humans

66.7%
  2. fantasy humans

33.3%
  3. middle age humans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. brutal aliens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. hightech aliens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. undead skeletons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. undead zombies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. machines like terminators

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. animals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. comic heros

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. cartoon characters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. (hell)angels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VeganApps

VeganApps

Hello Community,

We are currenly planning the concept for a Real-Time Strategy Game (RTSG) made with Unity.

We are very interested to know several things from you:

1) Which race do you want to play or play against in such a game ? (Please vote. Though comments are also welcome.)

2) How much races would you like to see in a RTSG you buy ?

3) Which features did you like most in RTSGs you played in the past ?

4) Do you want the game to look serious or funny ?

5) Do you also want to play heros (strong, small units with special abilities) ?

6) Which kind of resources system (to pay buildings and units) did you like in RTSGs you played ?

7) Did you enjoy single- or multiplayer mode more ?

If you have anything else to add to this topic feel free to tell us here please.

2. AGhost

AGhost

It really depends on the depth of the races and the variety in units. Look at a game like Starcraft, which is able to survive for such a long time and only have 3 races. Then look at CC:G which had 3 similar races and didn't last nearly as long. I think that keeping the number of races low, but with a high amount of difference between races is good.

Custom scenarios/map editor. I know it may be hard to make in Unity, but it really extends the life of the game.

Serious

5) Do you also want to play heros (strong, small units with special abilities) ?

Some heros, but not so many (or so powerful) that it turns into and RPG.

6) Which kind of resources system (to pay buildings and units) did you like in RTSGs you played ?

A mix of gathering/regenerative (you get a constant stream of resources, but can choose to gather resources on top of that in order to increase your income)

Multiplayer - if its easy to find people to play with

Hope this helps! I would love to see a Unity-powered RTS made!
    AGhost

3. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

It really needs to offer something new to the genre. (RTSs are like FPS now, too many are too similar.) Also important is smooth uncomplicated controls with the depth coming from strategy and technique.

I wouldn't consider making an RTS without multiplayer.

If it's too challenging to have an in depth map editor (a la Blizzard) it's still a good idea to allow as much map customization as possible.

Remember, Starcraft 2 is coming, so I'd steer FAR away from its ideas and offer something completely different.

4. drJones

drJones

i'm not a huge fan of the genre but i did play some starcraft back in the day.

1) Which race do you want to play or play against in such a game ? (Please vote. Though comments are also welcome.)

futuristic is my taste but i agree with aaron watch out for the 800 lb gorilla in the room ; )

multiplayer (i did LAN mostly which was very fun)

IMO funny is hard to get right and a risk for this genre i'd say.

for sure!

single player is just practice for the real deal to all the fans i've known over the years. (in short - multiplayer all the way ; )

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

My vote is for a goofy RTS with different species of squirrels fighting each other for nuts and tree territory. Lots of cute and humor with spit polished mechanics, controls, and visuals.

So I voted animals, and expanded on that here. :)

-Jon

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

Like has been said, if it's solid gameplay, I don't really care. The trick for people like me is making it seem like their are infinite choices/outcomes. As long as the gameplay is tighty, and dynamic, it's cool.

I liked the way they handled the AI in Company of Heros (my fav). Take a unit of soldiers for example. Put them near cover and they automatically move to it. If they get shot at in the open, they usually move to the nearest cover or they go prone in the nearest crater. You didn't have to mico-manage every tiny little detail of their movement. They were closer to "doing what you want them to do" instead of sticking to "doing what you told them to do".

Doesn't matter. If it's serious, it has to be darn accurate for me (COH), but you have more elbow room for fooling around in a funny one.

All RTSG should have a wide range of units depending on the style and design, but yeah, I liked controlling a sniper in any game, and also the Green Beret in the Commandos line.

6) Which kind of resources system (to pay buildings and units) did you like in RTSGs you played?

I liked both the system in COH and also liked the good old Ore idea in the C&C games. If it's done right, I don't care.

Heh heh, people who know me will mock me on this one. I am on dial-up, and can't get high-speed because of location, but I'd say both. The multiplayer part needs to be very carefully balanced though or else it's chaos.

HTH, and good luck guys,
    -Jeremy

7. taumel

taumel

I don't like rts games this much but if i had to choose i would pick up the HellsAngles as i could imagine doing this in a funny FullThrottle like way and there are enough orks, soldiers and lazer people like games around.

8. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I don't care about the theme or which "races" there are or how many.

What I want to see in an rts is different gameplay dynamics. Like breaking away from tile based systems, implementing complex and emergent structures and units, and more interactive maps with interesting physics things and less monotony.

So make it halo style sci fi, make it orcs and humans, or make it gray cubes vs purple cubes for all I care. Just make sure that the actual interactions that go on in the game are different in nature from the current norm.

As far as single player / multiplayer, I agree that single player is almost useless, and multiplayer is an absolute must.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I pretty much agree with that, except for the single-player thing...that's the only way I play games, and so far that still puts me in the majority. Even games like UT2004 which you'd think of as only existing for multiplayer actually have at least half the players being off-line against bots (like me, again ;) ).

So, with that in mind, I'd add: interesting AI. It can't be that hard to add variants to behavior, so the AI doesn't play exactly the same way every time, which is the biggest flaw in RTS games so far.

--Eric

10. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

I dont care the race actually, but how it feels, i think ill vote for the fantasy thing because i love fantasy.

Also, i like games with single player alternative and beautiful visuals.

I liked the idea of more interactive terrain too!

.ORG

11. kulakovich

kulakovich

I was going to vote middle age humans - I think the 42 to 59 year old bracket is really an untapped market share in gaming.

Seriously though I think middle ages or sci-fi could incorporate almost everything else you listed.

kulakovich

12. Kondor0

Kondor0

This is just an idea but... there are a lot of fans of the RTS game Supreme Commander but they were wildly disappointed by the last game so you could make something that rescue the style of the first game (sci fi units, massive armies and maps, resource extraction and buildings "materialized" in the field).

Other game that have a lot of fans waiting for something similar is Homeworld. I know, making a 3D fleet simulator could be hard but there are a lot of sci fi geeks out there waiting for a Homeworld 3 (like me :wink: ).

Good luck!

13. HaydenM

HaydenM

) Which race do you want to play or play against in such a game ? (Please vote. Though comments are also welcome.)
    I personally would rather play as humans and against aliens. (While being able to ally with aliens)

I personally would go for perhaps 5 races (humans, agressive aliens and then a few other alien races that could be swayed to each side)

I like Tech trees because i like to build large cultures. Also building large structured cities.

I prefer serious games but games with a few easter eggs or the such are okay.

heroes are okay but i like the 'general' design like your character in aoe3.

I like having to mine or foraging for rescorces.

I like single player modes.

Random note: There is probobly reasong that RTS games dont do this but it would be great if you could make your city and have it remain after each mission. I personally love making cities and it would be good to make large colonies.

HaydenM