Search Unity

Real Time Skylight

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by SilverStorm, Sep 18, 2019.

1. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I can't seem to get good quality lighting with this engine no matter what settings I use, it seems the real time lighting capabilities are really lacking in Unity and I can't figure out why in 2019 this engine is so complicated.

It takes so much effort and post effects and hours and hours of tweaking to just get something that's "ok" but it's a heavy hack job. My main example is Sky Lighting and I haven't tested HDRP so I am wondering if the issue is a limitation of the standard shader as maybe the HDRP standard lit shader can produce better results in a directional lit scene or what please let me know?

I recently watched an Unreal video on lighting and they with very little effort were able in real time to have this quality out of the box with their real time character. I have never been able to achieve that quality in real time with Unity and would love to know if Unity just cannot do it or can it etc. In the following image there is no fancy effects like AO or anything just a Directional Light correct real time bounce and shadows I assume. Could someone let me know how to achieve this in Unity for real time characters?

As seen by the images the lighting is physically correct whereas in Unity it is wrong even in pbr.
    I need to know if I should just give up on getting good real time quality lighting in Unity and try unreal for the high end stuff and keep Unity for the low end stuff or maybe Unity can do it RIGHT now as is, no preview stuff or hack jobs because Unreal has been doing it for years and Unity has had more than 5 years since Unity 5 to produce out of the box lighting without effects and addons.
    It doesn't matter how much you try to adjust using effects and stuff if the underlying calculations on lighting are not correct and I feel this is the case with Unity compared to Unreal but I still want to know what Unreal is doing that Unity hasn't been able to all this time.

Lately it's all been about photogrammetry in their demos but that's just another example of hiding the bad lighting with good textures etc the black and white image I attach shows correct lighting under the hood in unreal, can anyone compare in Unity as my results look bad in comparison?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

UE4 applies a generous amount of post processing to most of its viewports by default. Unity, on the other hand provides with an unaltered image by default, unless you decide to use one of our templates when creating a project.

If you want to achieve similar looking results you'd need:
    • A model and textures that match the one provided in UE4 in terms of quality
    • Author hair and skin shaders
    • Set up a simple lighting rig using a realtime directional light and an HDRI
    • Set up post processing (either by importing post processing stack, or using in-built post processing in HDRP)

3. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Thanks but I am only talking about the lighting from the sky-I am not talking about the end result picture that is textured I am talking about the 3 pictures showing the model without textures-in its black and white state it looks like a Greek statue made of clay whereas in Unity I can't seem to simulate clay. I've tried all the post effects and they don't help, that image isn't using them also.

I believe I need a clay shader maybe something like this: