Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Real-time Animated Storytelling course

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by moc6000, Jun 30, 2020.

1. moc6000

moc6000

Unity Technologies

BATTLEKOT likes this.
  2. Amon

Amon

This is good. Thanks. I'm starting the course now.

3. moc6000

moc6000

Unity Technologies

Awesome. Thanks for checking it out. We are making updates everyday to make things clearer and more informative. Enjoy!

shyamarama likes this.
  4. akent99

akent99

A couple of comments in case useful:
    - I found section 3 confusing (slopes and bevels). It felt a little terse in the instructions to get through the experiment.
    - Section 7 has 5 bullet points, but bullet 4 looks messed up.

Scanning ahead, the reason I was doing the course is I was hoping to understand more advanced techniques like how to set up a scene with multiple characters walking along side each other, into and out of the scene, talking to each other. What is the best way to get the characters to hit particular waypoints at particular times, how to have different walk animations with different stride lengths but have the characters walk in perfect sync next to each other while talking, then stop, look at each other and talk some more, then walk off separate ways etc.

For example, I was trying using a Dolly Cart and having the characters “follow” it - that allowed a more complex track for the characters to follow, but if the walk animation clips were different lengths one would start to ice skate. I then did not know whether to manually fiddle playback rates of animation clips, or should I instead somehow take the velocity of the characters and reverse that back to a speed and use some form of locomotion animator setup (so it do all the blends between walk/jog/run using the statemachine/blends etc), or do foot reverse IK to guarantee no ice skating.

I could not find any examples of this more complex sort of set up, but it seemed fairly important as soon as characters needed to move around a scene and interact with each other.

5. akent99

akent99

I am relatively new to Unity - just found the free “Locomotion” extension on the Asset store. Trying to work out how to use it still with Timelines though. I was also using VRoid Studio created characters with slighty different bone structure, so the animation clips + Locomotion is saying “there is no animation curve on that bone”. So much to learn, so little time...