Search Unity

Real Materials series

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lex4art, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I see, I could have downloaded them one at a time instead of all at once. lol

2. Lex4art

Lex4art

Important notice: there was some kind of bug on Asset Store - after buying Real Materials Complete all packages that should be free to download were showing full price tag no matter what. Don't know what was causing this (probably recent Unity update on Upgrades system in Asset Store witch is used for this purpose) - I re-did all those settings through new publisher v2 portyal and now all seems to be working fine, all individual & packages & Lite materials are free for owners of Complete package.

*runs away to bugreport on this in publishers forums...*

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    rrahim and hopeful like this.
  3. TemerePerito

TemerePerito

Good morning!
    I'm looking for animated iridescent shader. Like a soap bubble. Can you do something like that with your materials?
    Thanks!

4. Lex4art

Lex4art

Nope, my materials using standard Unity shader and it can't do iridescent stuff (HDRP's probably can, but I have no experience with iridescent feature there).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  5. Lex4art

Lex4art

[Link to 8K image]

Big update - v4.0

Please backup your project if you have any old "Real Materials" version installed in it, this update WILL mess up with GUIDs of any old version of "Real Materials" in the project so please delete whole "Real Materials" folder before upgrading.

What's new:
    1. HDRP materials now using custom shader (made with Shader Graph so you can edit if needed). Its core feature is suppression of texture repetition (works well for surfaces up to 20x20m) by using 3 layers of textures (layer 3 usually set to fade-in with 2-10m distance, it contains large scale textures and simply replaces main repetitive textures). Also there is an option to rotate textures if needed. Triplanar UVs also can be turned ON but this feature kinda-sorta roughly implemented so UV seams will be nasty sometimes.
    2. New material volume: Vol.9 - Stone tiles - as usual free for owners of "Real Materials Complete" package.
    3. New material volume: Vol.10 - Patterns - as usual free for owners of "Real Materials Complete" package.
    4. Now you can actually download Real Materials Complete package from Package Manager - it was updated to v4.0 there, but all textures in all 3 rendering pipelines was reduced to 2K to fit in 6GB limit on Asset Store. If you need 4K+ textures - use old way by downloading and installing individual material volumes one by one...
    5. Some nice visual improvements for many old materials in all 3 rendering pipelines (added subtle color spots overlay to most of the metals - this kind of art touch looks very nice in many use cases and easy to remove if it's not fits).
    6. Big fixes, improvements and 6 new materials in my previously weakest Vol.8 - Brick and mortar
    7. Vol.1...6 (metals) also received new materials here and there.
    8. Summary there are 200 materials now, wow.
    9. Vol.0 - Free samples was improved and now contains 23 free materials and new demo scene
      Real Materials vol zero free samples.jpg
    10. Grass material now has only one *improved* variant.
    11. Deprecated few single materials on Asset Store (mostly because they're now included in Vol.0 - Free samples, but some are just deleted, like "Plaster oak bark"), will post on it later.

• I've set optimal texture compression settings so no more hour-long import times, it's only few minutes now to import all 200 materials and 11 showcase scenes on a 6-core Ryzen 5600H laptop. Carbon footprint from "Real Materials" should be many times smaller now XD
    • Modern compression formats used where possible (all normals in BC5, single channel grayscale in BC4).
    • Smart resources packing reducing downloading time (in Package Manager) around 30-40% for vol.1...10
    • All materials and textures now have "RM" prefix plus GUIDS are identical for Built-in, URP and HDRP materials and common textures, so you can upgrade URP/Built-in project to HDRP without serious problems (previously only Built-in and URP have unified GUIDs). And that's why upgrade from previous versions of Real Materials to this v4.0 is tricky.
    • Dielectric materials, where possible, now storing roughness map in diffuse alpha. This allows bit faster rendering (metalness texture slot is empty so minus one texture sampler to set).
    • HDRP materials with this new shader will broke if decals are disabled in the project settings and any real time reflection probe/planar reflection/custom secondary camera used in the project (by default decals are ON but in case you disabled them it will bring blurry spots all other materials surface). This is Unity bug but it's not yet fixed.
    • HDRP materials and Path tracing will work in general but this new anti-tiling feature requires depth map to gradually fade in Layer 3 (and sometimes Layer 2) on top of Layer 1. But Path tracing sometimes go weird with depth map so this switching will happen at very short distance without any fading... mean - if you're using Path Tracing in HDRP and Real Materials looks blurry and pixelated this is it, turn OFF Layer 3 in settings for each affected material... but it may work just fine.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    atomicjoe, Willbkool_FPCS and hopeful like this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

It sounds like you really thought it out. Thanks!

7. Lex4art

Lex4art

Hope so! Originally there was a plan to have this custom shader for all 3 rendering pipelines and to release this update at July 1st... but nope, too much issues with Shader Graph on Built-in render (on simple scenes it works but when you throw more stuff in to the mix (like real time reflection probe) it broke my shader with weird error I can't fix) and URP surprised silly me with much more demands in terms of free texture samplers so my 3 layered shader won't fit...

Anyway, I fixed and improved all that should be fixed and improved - done, hope I didn't mess up something else in those many, many packages and rendering pipelines.

8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Just to be sure: built-in version is still using Unity's Standard Shader, isn't?
    I'm using a custom made shader that maps completely to the Standard Shader (same names and features) and has worked great with your Real Materials up until now.
    Is it safe for me to update?

Lex4art likes this.
  9. Lex4art

Lex4art

Built-in materials are still using Standard shader, but the problems will came from the naming (when Unity importing files that have same GUIDs but have different names (and every material and texture now has "RM" prefix) it will assign new random GUID to imported materials and textures and that's where things go ugly - tons of duplicated textures, materials and all that with new randomly generated GUIDs so no compatibility with future updates/pipeline switching...

So best way is to backup project a couple of times and try to emtpy "Real Materials" folder, import new version and after that explore project for damage XD.

atomicjoe likes this.
  10. Lex4art

Lex4art

Individual materials were updated on Asset Store to latest v4.0, with some sacrifices and changes:
    • Minimal supported version is 2022 LTS (all large packages are also supporting 2021 LTS but it's way too hard to keep 2 editor versions for 3 rendering pipelines for 100+ individual materials so only latest 2022 LTS version is used to upload).
    • Quite few materials now included in Real Materials vol.0 - Free samples pack so they were deprecated as paid individual materials to prevent buying them on Asset Store. Before deprecation they were updated to latest v4.0, though (and random bonus material was added to them to justify things a bit, check their release notes). Note that "deprecated" status means this material cannot be bought on Asset Store but it's still available in your Package Manager when you're log in with your account.
    • All individual materials (both active and deprecated) on Asset Store now have "RM" prefix, so they can easily be sorted/found by name in Package Manager.
    • Two materials "Ground grass" and "Gravel granite" are now in Vol.0 - Free samples, but their empty husks were turned into Vol.9 - Stone tiles and Vol.10 - Patterns instead of being simply deprecated. If you bought those individual materials before - check your Package Manager, now you have latest vol.9 and vol.10 packs for free ).
    • One material "Wall plaster oak bark" just deprecated without any bonuses (but it was updated to v4.0 too and can be found in Package Manager under name "RM Plaster oak bark" if you bought it somewhere in the past).

11. Lex4art

Lex4art

[HDRP only] "Triplanar UVs" option in "Real Materials core" custom shader was broken when activated on Unity 2022LTS and up - fix will be uploaded to Asset Store in following weeks but if you need it right now here it is (just import it on top of existing Real Materials):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023