Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Real fade of Text Mesh Pro

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MicDE, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MicDE

MicDE

Hi,

I was wondering how I can do a real fade of a Text created with Text Mesh Pro. Not only letting characters reveal or vanish by showing them or hiding them but fade the whole text in / out by changing its transparency.
    I looked at the material and see a lot of color properties which I can modify. To do a fade out, I need to get to all those color fields and changing their alpha to 0 over time. I want to do this in Unity's timeline but I am not happy to write a custom playable to do that.
    Is there a more easy way to fade? I guess I am not the only one who would like to fade TExt Mesh Pro in the described way.
    Best
    Mic

tonytopper likes this.
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There are a few posts around providing some example of how this could be done.

Here is one such post.

3. pedrociva

pedrociva

Stephan If you read his request you should've seen that he asked for the exact opposite of what you actually answered.
    He asked for "not only letting characters reveal but fade the whole text".
    This post shows only how to fade letters :)

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Changing the Vertex Color alpha of the text object will fade everything. This way you don't have to worry about any of the material properties.

sleepypancakes likes this.
  5. tingwen55555

tingwen55555

Hey, I was trying to get the same thing working for more than an hour but I finally found a solution.

You grab the material from the specific TextMeshPro object using "FontMaterial" (text.material grabs some defaultUIMaterial the text isn't using). text.Color doesn't work either because its property isn't called _color under the hood.

Anyways, just do this:

IEnumerator FadeCoroutine()
    {
    float waitTime = 0;
    while (waitTime < 1)
    {
    text.fontMaterial.SetColor("_FaceColor", Color.Lerp(Color.clear, Color.white, waitTime));
    yield return null;
    waitTime += Time.deltaTime / fadeTime;

}

}

6. ewanewan27

ewanewan27

hye , can you share your full script of this, cause im a bit confuse. thanks. stuck for couple hours now hehe.

7. Scrowneck

Scrowneck

I made a script and put the code below into it. I then added the script to the Text (TMP) that you find under the Canvas. I also clicked on the color of the text and set the alpha to 0. I was doing a Fade in wait and then fade out. So, skip this if you are just doing fade out. This step isn't wholly necessary anyway. Then I dragged the Text (TMP) I was working with in the Hierarchy into the field for the public Text Display in the script I added. I hope this helps any one that comes to this page looking for the answer like I did. To change from fade out to fade in you can use the same code and just switch the 1 and 0 in the line float alpha = Mathf.Lerp(1f, 0f, currentTime / duration);

Code (csharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using TMPro;
    5. public class OpeningText : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public TextMeshProUGUI textDisplay;
    8.     public void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         StartCoroutine(FadeOut());
    11.     }
    13.     private IEnumerator FadeOut()
    14.     {
    15.         float duration = 2f; //Fade out over 2 seconds.
    16.         float currentTime = 0f;
    17.         while (currentTime < duration)
    18.         {
    19.             float alpha = Mathf.Lerp(1f, 0f, currentTime / duration);
    20.             textDisplay.color = new Color(textDisplay.color.r, textDisplay.color.g, textDisplay.color.b, alpha);
    21.             currentTime += Time.deltaTime;
    22.             yield return null;
    23.         }
    24.         yield break;
    25.     }
    26. }

God bless.

Ghosthowl and michcros1220 like this.
  8. sleepypancakes

sleepypancakes

There's a built-in function for this that lets you fade the alpha quite easily:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public void FadeText()
    3. {
    4.     myTextMeshProGUI.CrossFadeAlpha(0, 2f, true);
    5. }

titch_stewart and jwcowand like this.