Search Unity

Ready to pull my hair out with Vertical Layout Group.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by evan140, Nov 5, 2017.

1. evan140

evan140

I want to create a vertical layout group where the text appears on the bottom and scrolls up, much like the text adventure tutorial. I want to add more functionality visually. Think about how Discord, Slack, IRC, text messages look.

I am attempting to create a vertical layout group where I add lines in via a script real time (which I have working in a basic, minimum prototype way) however, I feel like I have tried every conceivable option and nothing is working when it comes to placing the text the way I want.

I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason between changes and the results it gives. I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is and I'm getting really tired of chasing my tail.

This is the closest I've come to looking even remotely close. I can sometimes get the text to appear at the bottom, and I've never been able to get it to stack correctly on top of each other. I've started this over several times, using both textmesh pro and regular text elements. Every change I make I get a little closer in one way, and further away in others.

What can I do?

2. dadude123

dadude123

can you give a bit more information about the actual problem?
    like what exactly happens when you add more text? and why is that wrong?
    and what do you want to happen instead?

and what have you tried so far (exactly)?

also show a screenshot of how your container is set up, not just one for the elements.

3. evan140

evan140

Sorry if I come across as brief, but I don't know what I've tried because I feel like I've done everything. I just realized after posting this that the canvas had a scaler element, which was causing the elements of the group to be about 1.6 in size, which I didn't even notice. I'm trying to get my scene organized after that change and figure out where I am.

I couldn't tell you what I've done so far, because it's been this and that a little bit each day before and after work. LOTS of trial and error (mostly error lol)

I'll try and post another screenshot in a few minutes if I can get to a place where I am explain where I'm at now and what where I want to be

4. evan140

evan140

holy crap I think I actually got it to work in a really basic way because I got rid of that canvas scaler component