Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading from a text file after game is built

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by greglo, Aug 27, 2019.

1. greglo

greglo

Hello,

I want to read numbers [possibly strings in the future] from a text file, preferably .txt format. But I want this to happen only after the game has been built: the numbers will then be loaded into an array at launch.

In other words, when the game is run from its .exe, it will read the numbers from the file which is in that very same Unity build folder. This way the players can themselves edit the numbers and mod the game. If the file is not read or is empty, I will use my own default internal integer array.

I'm a big noob at this aspect; I would appreciate a simple method with a thorough explanation. I have looked at Application.streamingAssetsPath and StreamReader but it's all a little alien to me.

Thanks for your help.

2. Baste

Baste

Where is this file?

If it's in the StreamingAssets folder, it's really just:

Code (csharp):
    1. var text = File.ReadAllText(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/nameOfFile.txt"
    File also has ReadAllLines if you want the text in an array of lines.

A lot of example code out there uses stream readers with a file stream. That allows you to not load the entire file at once, and is useful if the file is large. But if it's no more than a couple of hundred lines, you'll be fin just grabbing it all at once.

Oh and also read the documentation.

3. greglo

greglo

Thanks Baste I will plug away with that.

4. greglo

greglo

I got it working; thanks to Baste players can now add custom maps.:):):)

Baste likes this.