Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

READ_PHONE_STATE permission on Android

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by mikatu, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikatu

mikatu

Hi,

I noticed that the latest Unity IAP plugin adds READ_PHONE_STATE on Android builds. Why is this and can we disable it?

Having this permission leads to users getting asked if they'd "Allow X to make and manage phone calls?"

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@mikatu

Thanks for letting us know about this. I will talk with our IAP engineers and see why this would be the case.

nicholasr likes this.
  3. vexe

vexe

I can confirm this. Happening to us as well. Down-grading to a previous Purchasing version fixes the issue. It's really bad because it scares away players from playing the game.

4. nicholasr

nicholasr

@mikatu and @vexe Thank you both again for the reports. Yes, agreed this is urgent. We have found the issue and are working on a fix. It's an oversight and I apologize - we'll add integration tests to ensure unplanned permissions changes don't recur.

We have a convenience feature which is adding this permission as a side-effect, so we'll strip the feature. For Android stores needing to manage digital wallets through mixed user/server-side login, which is basically a raft full of upcoming store implementations, a persistent unique identifier for the user is required. For "online games" (those with backing game servers and already having a user identifier) this is trivial. For "offline games" (standalone without identity systems) binding payment and persistent wallet to a user, so when they uninstall / reinstall or add a new app they can access their digital wallet with that payment provider. The convenience feature we added is to call Unity's SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier which has this side-effect, inapplicable to the majority of Unity IAP's current userbase. Stripping means developers will need to explicitly supply some kind of user identifier which we'll recommend, via documentation, the SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier again.

The fix will likely be in 1.9.2. We're at 1.9.0 currently, and we're almost finished pushing out 1.9.1 (want to share fixes for other platforms first).

Edit: For your convenience here is a link to a version not exhibiting this behavior, 1.8.4

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  5. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

mikatu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.