Search Unity

READ_PHONE_STATE permission added when using SDK tools 26.0.2

Discussion in 'Android' started by pep_dj, Jul 4, 2017.

1. pep_dj

pep_dj

I've updated Android SDK tools to 26.0.2, and now game builds ask for READ_PHONE_STATE permission (and READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE also). Switching back to 25.2.3 solves the problem. But, I would like to use latest SDK tools.

This issue is also listed in Unity Issue Tracker: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...fest-dot-xml-file-using-latest-26-dot-0-2-sdk

Do you know how can we fix it?

EDIT: The issue has been solved after I added
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="16" android:targetSdkVersion="25" /> to everyplay manifest.xml file

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Yury-Habets, tomerpeledNG and vrfurl like this.
  2. vrfurl

vrfurl

this worked for me. Thanks for sharing

3. tomerpeledNG

tomerpeledNG

Worked for me as well.
    Thanks

4. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Plugins with manifests where targetSdkVersion is missing will cause this undesired behavior. The correct fix is to add this entry to the manifest - @pep_dj is correct.

rsodre likes this.
  5. Don_K

Don_K

I fix my project,
    For all AndroidManifest.xml in the Asset folder
    <uses-sdk android: minSdkVersion = "16" android: targetSdkVersion = "25" />
    I added it and built it with UnityCloudBuild.

But, the READ_PHONE_STATE permission remained.

Can you give me some advice?

6. Voxel-Busters

Voxel-Busters

@Yury-Habets : What if multiple manifest files specify different SDK Targets?
    Isn't it dependent on main root manifest file? Please suggest.

Thanks,
    Ayyappa

7. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

@Yury-Habets I have been unable to resolve the unwanted addition of READ_PHONE_STATE in Cloud Builds. I cannot reproduce the introduction of that permission locally. I have ensured that I have buildToolsVersion of 26.0.1 in my locally exported build.gradle file. So, my first concern is that Cloud Build is doing something differently than I am locally. I'm using 5.3.6p1 both locally and on Cloud Build.

I've also made sure that every AndroidManifest has specified a minSdkVersion in the uses-sdk block of at least 9. My understanding from the documentation (https://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission.html#READ_PHONE_STATE) (though it is slightly ambiguous) is that if minSdkVersion is specified greater than 3, the READ_PHONE_STATE will not be implicitly added. I have introduced targetSdkVersion when it was missing in my loose AndroidManifest files, but many of the google AARs contain AndroidManifest files inside them that only specify a minSdkVersion.

Can you help me to determine why Cloud Build is introducing this permission?

8. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

If the google AARs are missing targetSdkVersion - that's bad. Can you please tell me which ones?
    In that case, it has probably nothing to do with the cloud build. Pinging @dannyd in case this is something known.

9. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

Just to reiterate, my local gradle builds do not introduce the READ_PHONE_STATE permission, but the Cloud Builds do.

All these AARs in my project have a minSdkVersion but not a targetSdkVersion:

10. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

11. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

This issue was fixed in all Unity versions starting 17.1 (in one of the patch releases), 5.6 patch release pending.

12. pfleetwood22

pfleetwood22

@Yury-Habets Any word on the 5.6 patch release with this fix?
    Thanks

13. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

5.6.4p1 should be the one.

mayucy likes this.
  14. hutch_jl

hutch_jl

Hi @Yury-Habets , I've just seen that 5.6.4p1 has been released but there doesn't seem to be an obvious entry in the changelog referencing this bug, do you know if it made it in?

15. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Yes it should be there - looks like I missed to add the release note entry.

16. hutch_jl

hutch_jl

Great thanks, will give it a go.

17. Aurigan

Aurigan

This is still happening in 2017.1.2p2

Adding

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="16" android:targetSdkVersion="25" />

To each manifest in my project fixed it.

Dazo1985 likes this.
  18. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@Aurigan please read carefully - the fix I've been talking of is about having Assets/Plugins/Android/res folder present. In this case, we generate an Android library, and it was missing targetSdkVersion in the manifest. I fixed that.

However, if you have any plugins (libraries) added with NO targetSdkVersion in the manifest - you automatically get the dangerous permission in question. The only fix for this issue is to fix your plugins' manifests.

19. Aurigan

Aurigan

@Yury-Habets Hi, the issue for me came from including the IronSource Ad SDK. While I *could* fix this by adding a target SDK version myself after some wasted minutes or hours of my day I view this as something that Unity *could* do for me ... especially given that there's a minimum and target API already set in Player Settings ...

20. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@Aurigan no - this is what the plugin author must do - claim the minimum and target SDK levels he is expecting his plugin to work with. We can't decide it for him.

21. jknight-nc

jknight-nc

Why can't unity prevent the addition of READ_PHONE_STATE when the targetSdk is missing?

22. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Because we collect manifests (if building with internal build system) or gradle does that and pass them to a manifest merger tool (which comes with android sdk). The tool does this while merging manifests.

23. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

i have only 2 manifests, both of them are having minsdk but unity still creates PHONE_STATE permission.

I even tried to add <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="16" android:targetSdkVersion="25" />

I even tried to add tools:node="remove" and problem still persists

What can I check more?

I have a Unity 5.6.4f1
    I have few res folders
    I use Facebooks SDK and Unity Analytics.

Should I install Unity 5.6.4p4 and try or?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  24. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

So I found it,

Unity IAP plugin has READ_PHONE_STATE permission and Unity Channel (within their aar files).

I will try to remove it now.

25. adam_mehman

adam_mehman

Nope, didn't help.

I lost all the ideas :/