Search Unity

Official **READ ME FIRST** Troubleshooting connection/loading project issues with Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by samuelb_unity, Apr 16, 2020.

1. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Sections in this post:
    1. Unity 2022.1 and up
    2. LTS Releases
      1. Firewall Suggestions
      2. Blocked Ports & Timeout Suggestions
    3. Legacy
      1. Proxy Suggestions
      2. Unity Hub Suggestions

1. Unity 2022.1 and up

In Unity 2022.1.0a14, we removed the HTTP communication layer between Unity and the Unity Package Manager. We now use an OS-level IPC approach in order to solve a number of connectivity issues.

For older Unity versions where HTTP is still used, please see the sections “LTS Releases” and/or “Legacy” below.

2. LTS Releases

This section applies to Unity LTS releases:
    • 2018.4 (2018.4.18f1 and up)
    • 2019.4 (2019.3.4f1 and up)
    • 2020.3 (since 2020.1)
    In these Unity versions, the Unity editor communicates with the Unity Package Manager over HTTP. Under some scenarios, this can lead to connectivity issues resulting in the following error message:

Could not establish a connection with the Unity Package Manager local server process. This is most likely due to a proxy or firewall configuration. Make sure the process [...] is reachable via HTTP on the IP address 127.0.0.1.

Below are some troubleshooting tips for HTTP connectivity issues.

2.1 Firewall Suggestions

On Windows, there is often a firewall enabled by default called Windows Defender Firewall. This firewall can prevent inbound and outbound HTTP connections for specific applications. For this reason, when installing a Unity editor via the Unity Hub, the Hub automatically adds a rule to Windows Defender Firewall which allows inbound connections to the Unity editor:

To view your inbound rules:
    • Control Panel > Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced settings > Inbound Rules
    If you see your Unity editor version is blocked (red circle icon), click “Properties” in the right-hand pane and under “Action”, select “Allow the connection”.

If you don’t see a rule for your Unity editor version, try creating one with the steps below:
    • Click “New Rule…”
    • For “Rule Type”, select “Program”
    • For the program path, enter the complete path to the Unity editor installation
    • For “Action”, select “Allow the connection”
    • For “Profile”, select all rules (Domain, Private, Public)
    • Give the rule a name e.g. “Unity 2019.3.0a1 Editor”
    Important: Some users have reported that even with an existing rule for their Unity editor version, it appears that Windows Defender Firewall is still preventing inbound connections coming from UPM. Some users have found that deleting the existing rule and re-creating it has fixed this.

2.2 Blocked Ports & Timeout Suggestions

Some users have reported that Unity is not able to start communicating with Package Manager in the allotted 10 seconds that we allow during startup. To find out whether this is happening, you can try starting Package Manager manually and then connecting to Unity. In a terminal or command prompt, run the following:

Windows
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\UnityPackageManager.exe

Mac
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager

By default, this will start Package Manager on port 10010. You can also specify your own port with
    -p
    e.g:

UnityPackageManager -p 3000

Now that Package Manager is running, try browsing to http://localhost:10010/health (replacing 10010 with your own port number if needed) to check that Package Manager is responding.

Finally, you can tell Unity to connect to your instance of Package Manager by running the following command:

Windows
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>\Unity.exe -upmServerPort 10010

Mac
    <path-to-unity-installation-dir>/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -upmServerPort 10010

Make sure to replace 10010 with your own port number if you set one.

If you are able to start Unity with the above steps, that means either the 10 second timeout we allow to start Package Manager is not enough or that a port (or range of ports) was blocked by a firewall. Please tell us on the forums or submit a bug and include this information.

Note: As of the versions below, the 10 second timeout was removed:
    • 2020.2.0f1
    • 2020.1.8f1
    • 2019.4.12f1
    3. Legacy

The following section applies to Unity releases before 2020.1.0f1, 2019.3.4f1 and 2018.4.18f1.

3.1 Proxy Suggestions

A proxy server (for example on a corporate network) may be redirecting HTTP traffic from your machine. If the proxy is intercepting traffic on http://127.0.0.1 then the Unity editor may be unable to communicate with UPM. For this reason, Unity automatically bypasses the proxy for Unity Package Manager requests.

However, in previous Unity versions, the proxy bypass could be overridden using the environment variable
    NO_PROXY
    or
    UNITY_NOPROXY
    . If you have these variables set, please ensure that their values include 127.0.0.1. For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UNITY_NOPROXY=localhost,127.0.0.1,google.com,my-no-proxy-domain.com
    Important: Some users have reported that even without setting the
    UNITY_NOPROXY
    variable, Unity could not communicate with UPM and that explicitly setting the variable like so fixed their issue:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UNITY_NOPROXY=localhost,127.0.0.1
    Important: Some users have said to ensure both localhost and 127.0.0.1 are present, and localhost is listed first.

To set environment variables on Windows:
    • Via command line:
      • Open Start menu > Type “cmd” > open Command Prompt
      • Type the following command and press enter:
        • Code (CSharp):
          1. setx UNITY_NOPROXY localhost,127.0.0.1
    • Via Windows settings:
      • Open Start menu > Search “Edit environment variables for your account”
      • Under “User variables”, click “New…” > For “Variable name”, type “UNITY_NOPROXY” > For “Variable value”, type “localhost,127.0.0.1”
    To set environment variables on Mac, see the instructions in this post.

3.2 Unity Hub Suggestions

Unity Hub version 2.2.0 changed the way that environment variables were passed to the Unity editor. This caused issues for some users since the user's own environment variable values might get overridden. If these were proxy-related environment variables, this may have prevented Unity from connecting to UPM.

Unity Hub version 2.2.2 fixed this issue so that user and system environment variables were preserved when starting the Unity editor. If you have an older version of Unity Hub, please consider upgrading to version 2.2.2 or greater.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    densawsds11, shacharoz, cunod and 4 others like this.
  2. SkyFullOStars

SkyFullOStars

The only thing I've found that worked for me is to close every application that might also be accessing the internet, and try Unity again. It's, as most might think, not an ideal solution for me, as having even just a browser window is part of how I work, and having to close it every time I want to open a project or start a new project is a mild pain

3. Sommer_

Sommer_

im getting this error after updating to 2019.3.13f1for mac unityhub 2.3.1
    im at home, dont have any proxy, dont have firewall, no anti virus
    what can i do :(

4. jvega_unity

jvega_unity

I was struggling with the exact same problem till 5 minutes ago. That version is bugged and didn't include the Server files inside the PackageManager's folder, just uninstall the 2019.3.13 version and install the 2019.3.12 from the archive list.

5. Sommer_

Sommer_

issue is resolved for me. I uninstalled / deleted everything unity from my Mac (besides my projects) and reinstalled unity hub and latest version. everything worked fine this time.

not sure what the issue was before, but perhaps when unityhub was uninstalling my pervious version, it decided to uninstall the package manager required for the new version?

try uninstalling... if on Mac delete the unity files in ~/Library and application support folders. and reinstall. worked for me

6. unity_qD5UhBP47dj_HA

unity_qD5UhBP47dj_HA

I'm having the same issue as this. WIndows 10 x64 latest update, Unity hub 2.3.1 UNITY_NOPROXY set to localhost,127.0.0.1 all connections relating to unity in defender are allowed... starting to really pull my hair out now.

UPM diag report attached. any ideas?

Attached Files:

Deleted User, jsutph14 and gered372 like this.
  7. Grover09

Grover09

I'm having the same issue. I have done everything but I'm still having it, I tried with different Unity versions, allowing everything about Unity in the firewall settings and deactivating the antivirus but nothing works, help.

8. hwhikes

hwhikes

This worked for me after I updated I was getting the same error. I don't know why or how this worked, but it may help.

Go to C: Users / "UserName" / AppData / Roaming / *Delete* Unity folder.

I did this and restarted Unity and it worked.

Note: make sure your files/folders are not hidden.

gymgejn and mayonaiseninetyone81 like this.
  9. terra559

terra559

I'm still having this problem

deus0 and mayonaiseninetyone81 like this.
  10. VSpook

VSpook

cannot find it lol

ProsperityGames likes this.
  11. kohthomas1982

kohthomas1982

Hi I am also having the same issue.
    Installed unity just today.
    I have tried installing other versions even 2018 but also same issue.
    All firewall and anti-virus turned off.

It works for me by opening the editor directly without using the hub for editor 2018.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  12. sama-van

sama-van

Same issue from mac book pro :
    - Unity HUB 2.3.2
    - 2020.2.0a12

Attached Files:

13. sama-van

sama-van

To remove every versions of Unity and then HUB, reboot, download/install HUB again then Unity fixed the issue.
    Now getting a new error and which google doesn't get much search :

Code (CSharp):
    1. Deterministic compilation failed. You can disable Deterministic builds in Player Settings
    2. Library/PackageCache/com.unity.multiplayer-hlapi@1.0.2/Editor/Tools/Weaver/AssemblyInfo.cs(22,28): error CS8357: The specified version string contains wildcards, which are not compatible with determinism. Either remove wildcards from the version string, or disable determinism for this compilation

14. VSpook

VSpook

i am having a problem with the editor.It cant find the unity.exe

15. timroye

timroye

Tried what you suggested and now everything works!! Spent all day trying to get a project to open
    Thank you so much for the tip. I spent the better part of a day trying to get Unity to load. Followed all the instructions from Unity. Nothing. Deleted the Unity folder and now I am up and running. Thank you!!!

16. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback @timroye and @hwhikes. One question, did you guys only deleted the Unity folder under AppData/Roaming ? Or did you also deleted the UnityHub ones?

mayonaiseninetyone81 likes this.
  17. sebastiao_lucio

sebastiao_lucio

Great tutorial!
    i just download unity Unity 2019.3.0f6 and Unity 2019.1.0f2 and works!
    but in some of the other versions it didn't work! the funny thing is that it worked on these versions without any intervention on the proxy or firewall.

https://unity3d.com/pt/get-unity/download/archive

18. javaman_av

javaman_av

A Solução abaixo me ajudou. Muito Obrigado.

upload_2020-6-17_18-8-44.png

19. regexina

regexina

Hello, I only have one version of Unity running on Windows 10.

I tried what is suggested here and I still get the same message. And it running diagnostics it came up with an 'X' for Running the UPM health check.

What should I do?

Attached Files:

20. hwhikes

hwhikes

For me it was just the one. And for context, I had 2019.2 installed and that version worked fine. After downloading and trying to run 2019.3 there was an error, which the package manager health check failed. After deleting the folder in Roaming it launched. I'm trying to remember if I did anything else but it was a couple weeks ago and I'm still working out of .2 at the moment.

supita_unity likes this.
  21. yasyahDZ

yasyahDZ

Where do I write the variable UNITY_NOPROXY?

22. Lord_Padriac

Lord_Padriac

Just to add to the long line of rage inducing frustration - me too. I am running 2019.2.21f1 successfully. ANY newer version has the problems described by, it seems, many Unity users where the server won't start and the diagnostic tool shows the Package Manager health check fails.

I have already tried all the suggestions here and in the linked threads found here.

I have added all of the environment variables, made sure that all rules and exceptions are in antivirus and firewall, tried running without firewall or antivirus on.

I've installed and uninstalled a dozen times, tried several different versions (2019.4.1f1, 2019.4.0f1, 2019.2.21f1 and even the 2020.1.0b12 beta), deleting folders, installing without the hub, installing through the hub, etc.

The newest version that works is 2019.2.21f1; anything after that fails at the point it tries to open the Package Manager.

A particularly odd bit is that the diagnostic tests say it passes the environmental variable check passed but that no variables are set despite the fact that I set the variables and can verify them in the Windows system settings.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  23. Lord_Padriac

Lord_Padriac

Here is another possible wrinkle. I have access to another laptop that I have been avoiding using because it is not in the best condition physically. It has power issues and likes to turn off suddenly, I'm just keeping it until I have the time to give it another go through to make sure I have everything important before I give the drive back to back DOD wipes and send it in for recycling.

I used that laptop to go to Unity's website, download the current Hub, install the current Unity through the Hub (version 2019.4.1.1f1) and start the FPS Micro Game tutorial project. It worked the first time like a charm. Both laptops are running the same version of Kaspersky Total Security. Windows Defender (both antivirus and Firewall) are completely disabled on both laptops. I put none of the environment variables into this system nor did I have to attempt any of the other workarounds listed in many places on this forum. All my system settings are Windows 10 defaults on both systems. Unity just worked.

The ONLY difference is the version of Windows 10. The system that Unity would not work on no matter what I tried is using Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, Build 18362.900. The system that Unity just worked on is using Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.900. I'll add this as a reply to the main pinned thread as well. If there are any logs or reports I can pull that might help diagnose the issue please direct me to them and I will happily upload them. Maybe there's something in this difference that could point to a solution so many people seem to be having.

24. astroboyr

astroboyr

You can run the following command on cmd

setx UNITY_NOPROXY localhost,127.0.0.1

25. astroboyr

astroboyr

I tried deleting all AppData folders that had "Unity" in it (unity hub, unity, etc.) Didn't do anything. I've tried setting environment variables, and have the same bug Lord_Padriac has where it doesn't recognize to environment variables I set. Added firewall rule, didn't do anything.

One thing that worked for me ONCE (not anymore) was to disconnect my internet and open the project. It doesn't work anymore today.

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall Unity Hub and all my versions; reinstalling Unity 2019.4 didn't work.

scadger likes this.
  26. Romano

Romano

I had this error after a couple of restarts of Unity. I quit, tried the command line proxy override to no avail. Tried the windows firewall changes to no avail. And then deleting the windows firewall rules (there were two for some reason) and following the steps to create a new rule worked. Have attached the diagnostics if that's of use to any of the devs.

Attached Files:

27. MAVG

MAVG

i have this error too

so i run the diagnostic and it seems that apparently nothing is worng

},
    {
    "name": "Ping UPM registry",
    "description": "Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API",
    "result": "PASS",
    "detail": "10 pings made in 5.466 seconds\nAverage latency: 62.34 ms\nMinimum latency: 54.84 ms\nMaximum latency: 100.08 ms\nStandard deviation: 13.65"
    },
    {
    "name": "Ping UPM download",
    "description": "Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint",
    "detail": "8 pings made in 5.034 seconds\nAverage latency: 17.30 ms\nMinimum latency: 16.82 ms\nMaximum latency: 17.88 ms\nStandard deviation: 0.34"
    },
    {
    "name": "UPM registry download speed",
    "description": "Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry",
    "detail": "Measured speed to the UPM registry: 14.39 Megabits per second"
    },
    {
    "name": "Speedtest.net",
    "description": "Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net",
    "detail": "Measured speed to the Speedtest.net server: 12.77 Megabits per second"
    },
    {
    "name": "HTTP proxy environment variables",
    "description": "Detect whether proxy-related environment variables are set (HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, ALL_PROXY, NO_PROXY, UNITY_PROXYSERVER, UNITY_NOPROXY)",
    "detail": "Proxy support has been configured through the following environment variables:\nUNITY_NOPROXY = localhost,127.0.0.1"
    }
    ]

but i still get the error, what could it be? my version is Unity 2019.2.18f1 (64-bit)

28. MAVG

MAVG

strange.... it works again like nothing happend

I have this problem often and i dont know what causes it

sometimes is solved by loggin out, restart and log in again

thi stime however didnt work i tried Uninstalling every antivirus have in my computer and deactivate the fire wall it also didn´t work, I try to update my windows and didn´t work

I tried to set the proxy and didn´t work also

And then i open my proyect today and it was working ok i will reply if it happens again.

29. astroboyr

astroboyr

Randomly when I press the retry button it works again?

30. Berandas

Berandas

Not sure what is the cause of the problem, since it seems to be appearing randomly over last few years, but I just spent quite some time figuring it out – none of the other people's solutions were working for me, so I tried the least probable thing – Closing all the unnecessary apps to free my memory, then it finally started to work again...
    After giving it a second thought I realised what I actually did – turning off your firewall is not enough when you're running some other protective layers such as anti-spyware, anti-malware and other anti-whatever software such as IObit Malware Fighter, Spyware Terminator, SpyBot, etc. Make sure to disable these as well – there is a large chance that any of these is blocking the Package Manager as well.

31. Radagasd

Radagasd

It seems that the latest version of IObit Malware Fighter is causing problems, at least for me. I started to get this error soon after updating Malware Fighter, and turning it off immediately resolves the problem.

32. Said2653

Said2653

I'm having the same issue, I've been trying from a week ago and nothing happens, did all the tutorials and still the same problem, I reinstalled unity like 3 times and nothing.

Did you fix it?

unity problem.png

unity problem diagnostics .png
    Those are the errors I get.

33. atheboom

atheboom

Same... I turned off Firewall same issu.. I disabled firewall for unity.... sams issu im scared that I will have say goodbye to it... pls some one has to help

34. atheboom

atheboom

Do you mean I should search for "Username" or my ACTUAL username

35. Said2653

Said2653

Yeah, I tried that, but it (as always) didn't work out

36. atheboom

atheboom

If I delete it then when I start unity..... it installed it fromitself even tho I uninstalled it completely

37. Said2653

Said2653

I've seen another forums with people having the same issue, but no one gets a solution, and finally a community manager comes and close the forum sending a link to a page that doesn't help and tells you bye bye.
    Can somebody help us pls

TheWox likes this.
  38. Said2653

Said2653

It keeps charging in this screen
    unity server problem.png
    And then switches to this one
    unity problem.png
    it happens all the time.

39. atheboom

atheboom

Zeradias likes this.
  40. atheboom

atheboom

How did you restarted unity? pls answer

41. atheboom

atheboom

I tryed an older version of unity(newest 2017 version) and it worked.... what even........ should I work with the 2017 version now or..........

42. atheboom

atheboom

Im cerruntly installing the 2020 beta version and unity PLSS fix this issue in the full 2020 version
    or the next version that is coming

43. atheboom

atheboom

nope.

44. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

As I've stated in the previous thread, it's definitely useful if folks here make dedicated, new threads with their issues AFTER trying the solutions in the pinned thread. A new thread with the two requested log files will help us enormously in troubleshooting your problems.

A majority of the causes are incorrectly configured firewalls. The exceptions needed are installed to Windows Defender during installation so if you're using something else or behind a strict corporate firewall, you're going to need to manually add exceptions to the program.

45. sunnyboy9192

sunnyboy9192

i m facing a similar problem, using my friend's pc and this error didn't occur on my pc. i tried both of the above given solutions. please help im losing precious time this lockdown(to learn unity)

Attached Files:

46. Said2653

Said2653

Well, prepare u to lose more time, because this ain't going anywhere, I've this problem since more than a week, and nothing has happened.

47. abdullahaljarif3

abdullahaljarif3

Tried everything, no luck. Wasting time with this messy bug more than two weeks. Lost my hope. Now I am getting into C++ Development and going to make games with Godot. Bye everyone! Bye Unity!

48. David_Fenner

David_Fenner

@Unity I found another solution that isn't in this thread. I lost two days of work so I guess I'll help somebody by posting the ONE thing that worked (TRIED EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD).
    • I deleted the "Packages" folder from my project (the one that's on the same directory of the "Assets" folder). Painful but packages can be reimported.
    • and I also deleted the folder packages from: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Unity\cache

This after a clean reinstall of Unity with all firewalls OFF.
    It seems the issue was that after upgrading a project from a previous unity version, something went wrong with the packages and no matter what I did, unity was looking for the executable somewhere else.

@Unity devs you really need to fix that!!

CameronPenner likes this.
  49. CameronPenner

CameronPenner

Here's what I did to get the error.
    • Using Unity Hub 2.3.2
    • Using Unity 2019.3.13f1
    • I opened the FPS Sample (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample)
    • When prompted which asset database version to use I picked to upgrade to v2
    • I get the error
    • I thought maybe it was the work proxy I had enabled. I disabled my work proxy completely
    • I set `UNITY_NOPROXY=localhost,127.0.0.1` (shouldn't matter apparently, I'm on Unity 2019.3.13f1)
    • I allowed everything in the firewall
    • I rebooted
    • I double checked everything is fixed according to this manual
    • I deleted the "Unity" cache folder from appdata/roaming
    • I did a `git clean -dfx` (same as re-cloning) and open the project fresh again to make sure I don't have some weird cache in the repo
    • Still getting the error
    I should note here, that I do not get the error for all dependencies! Only a select few, many of the packages were fine. The error is saying it's getting a 404, and assuming that means the server is down, but it's not giving a 404 for all packages. This makes me think that the packages were removed somehow, and don't exist anymore? And rather than saying "that package doesn't exist" it assumes "that server doesn't exist".

Clearing the packages folder from C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Unity\cache cleared up all the "proxy error" bugs! But it seems like these packages were still missing (though the existing ones started showing up).

Then I got things working... Unfortunately for anyone reading this though, the solution ended up being to point my manifest.json to an internal company registry where we happened to have the old packages cached. Sorry that's not really much help to those looking for a solution.

50. tktpkie

tktpkie

My Unity pretty much doesn't work.
    I saw that connection error, then I did everything in this thread.
    Set environment variables, allowed all Unity editor connections, heck, even ran a diagnosis!
    In the diagnosis, the health check failed, and in the report, it said there were no variables, even though I set one.
    I had internet on too!
    Any more solutions? I really want to check out Unity...
    (and yes, even after all that, I still can't open a single project, as you've probably guessed)

Attached Files: