Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Curious about what's going to be in 2021.1? Have a look at the 2021.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see 2021.1b in action? Sign up for our 2021.1 Beta Webinar on February 25 for a live presentation and a Q&A session with guests from R&D.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Read lights texture in ShaderGraph

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by ThundThund, Dec 25, 2020.

1. ThundThund

ThundThund

Hi everyone, I've seen that the 2D renderer uses some screen-wide intermediary textures to render the point lights and the shape lights, before they are blended with the rendered objects that are affected by such lights. For example, one of them is called _ShapeLightTexture0. It would be amazing to be able to access such textures in our shaders, it would allow us to achieve a lot of great VFX.

GliderGuy and Lo-renzo like this.
  2. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

You can actually do that today. A few things to pay attention to:

* You must use the Sprite Unlit material (master node), otherwise symbol redefinition error in shader.
    * You need a light texture property that
    a) references _ShapeLightTexture0-3
    b) doesn't have a default value
    c) isn't Exposed
    d) is sampled in screen space by using the Screen Position node.

GliderGuy likes this.
  3. ThundThund

ThundThund

Wow thanks! In the past I tried with a Sprite Lit material and got errors (redefinition of _ShapeLightTexture0), I assumed the light textures were not defined in the Unlit material so I didn't try :D

4. ThundThund

ThundThund

Thanks to this I can emulate emissive color, finally.

5. ThundThund

ThundThund

Example of emissive:
    -No postprocessing.
    -No Sprite Lit materials.
    -Using custom Unlit shader, reading the light texture, the sprite main texture and a secondary texture as emissive texture.

Capture.PNG

EDIT: You can see here how the red global light does not mix with the emissive colors, which is what I wanted.

Capture2.PNG

EDIT2: With Bloom:

Capture3.PNG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    GliderGuy likes this.
  6. ThundThund

ThundThund

With this, I can even implement sprite masks that use gradients using the light shapes when rendering some FX.

7. castor76

castor76

Nice one but it still doesnt give us ability to do partly emissive sprite?

8. ThundThund

ThundThund

Yes it does. You have the main sprite texture and the secondary emissive texture. Then you just multiply the main color by the light texture when the emissive texture is transparent and use the main color without multiplying it is not.

9. castor76

castor76

So I have to change entire game's rendering shader to this "unlit" shader that manually "relight" them? :D

10. ThundThund

ThundThund

Yes! :rolleyes: In my case it was not that bad since 95% of sprites used the same base shader. It is not a solution, it's a temporary workaround.

11. castor76

castor76

Yeah, it beats me why this was not implemented the first time. It is the first thing that I would think of if I ever come up with any rendering pipeline..

ThundThund likes this.
  12. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Is it possible to write directly to _ShapeLightTexture? I think I could eliminate 90% of my Light2Ds and do some really funky stuff.

edit: looks possible... requires digging into the 2d renderer... not tried yet

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    GliderGuy likes this.
unityunity