Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reactive AI

Discussion in 'AI & Navigation Previews' started by Lahcene, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Lahcene

Lahcene

Since Unity is working on the AI Planner (Deliberative AI) and ML-Agents (Machine Learning),
    I was wondering if there is something planned for Reactive AI, especially Behavior Trees?

laurentlavigne likes this.
  2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Nothing official, but it is something we're interested in seeing, especially, because we believe the same domain definition used for the planner could also be used for Behavior Trees.

3. Lahcene

Lahcene

Thanks for the info, would love to see that, I appreciate the work you guys are doing, AI was lacking in Unity.

frarf and Alverik like this.
  4. frarf

frarf

+1. I've love to see official behaviour trees in Unity. AI Planner is great for more organic AI but if you have something like a boss battle with patterns it's unnecessary overhead. Using the same domain definition could even open up the possibility of interoperability between the two.
    Cherry on the top would be steering behaviours integrated with NavMesh, though perhaps that's asking for a bit much...

Gekigengar, Orimay and Lahcene like this.
  5. optimise

optimise

Hi @amirebrahimi_unity, any plan to explore Utility AI?

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

7. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Djayp and optimise like this.
  8. optimise

optimise

Hi @amirebrahimi_unity, do u have any plan to implement dots Behavior Tree package anytime soon? I plan to upgrade my project that using classic OOP Behavior Tree unity asset to dots in future. Currently I didn't see any dots Behavior Tree available yet and I dun really have the resources and manpower to implement it from scratch that has the complete visual debugging tooling.

9. mplantady_unity

mplantady_unity

Unity Technologies

It's in our plan to release a Behavior Tree package compatible with DOTS in the future, yes.

10. optimise

optimise

Awesome. Do you have ETA of releasing preview package?

11. mplantady_unity

mplantady_unity

Unity Technologies

Not yet, and (afaik) don't expect it for a 2019.x release.

Gekigengar and optimise like this.
  12. optimise

optimise

I see. As long as it will release at 2020.x release it's ok.

13. optimise

optimise

Sorry to call you again. Will it possible to get the preview package at 2020.1 release?

14. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

We usually match the cadence of DOTS releases and I believe their next release will be on 2019.3. That being said, the planner may work with 2020.1, but I don't think anyone on the team has personally tested that.

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

Unless you want devs to test it, you could push for 2019.3, but to be honest, I would rather wait for stable version, if you know there are obvious critical issues.

16. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

I'm not sure I follow. What are the obvious critical issues you are referring to?

17. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't know if there are any. I can not test it :) But also you mentioned, your team didn't test it either.
    But your team will know, if there are anny major issues at current state, or not. I just try to say, if your team is aware of any major issues, I would rather wait with release, until that are fixed, at least to the early stable preview. I that make sense?

18. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Not entirely. I think you are stating that you'd rather wait until we've tested the AI Planner with a specific version of Unity before using it?

19. Antypodish

Antypodish

No necessary specific Unity version, but at least that package is tested before release, to the point of usability, rather rushed release. I don't mean bugs free, or fully featured. But at least stable.

Saying that, if you want people to test it earlier, I don't mind if you release in next 2019.x. Unless I missed it, is not released there yet isn't it?

Either way, I am looking forward, to what will result of AI package. I will try accommodate some time, to give a play around. :)

20. optimise

optimise

Maybe you misunderstand my question. I'm asking about whether DOTS Behavior Tree preview package will be available at 2020.1 release.

21. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Unfortunately, there's no set plan on when the first version of the Behavior Tree package will be available.

Gekigengar and optimise like this.
  22. optimise

optimise

Hi. Any new update for Behavior Tree package?

23. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Unfortunately, no.

optimise likes this.
  24. optimise

optimise

Hi. Can I get preview of DOTS Behavior Tree package soon? Currently I really need it for my project.

Kirsche and vx4 like this.
  25. Ruchir

Ruchir

Still any update on AI packages other than AI planner?

vx4 and Kirsche like this.