Search Unity

Resolved Reacting to what's in the XR Socket

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by Skippu, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Skippu

Skippu

I am trying to create a puzzle where depending on what object you place on a pedestal the environment changes. I have all of the code working for moving the objects the only thing I can't get working is to find the object that is in the XR Socket Interactor.

Does anyone know the code or a method to assign the object in the XR Socket to a GameObject so I can pass it to my scripts to process?

2. chris-massie

chris-massie

Unity Technologies

You can get the selectTarget property of Socket Interactor to see which Interactable object is currently grabbed by it.

Lisasz likes this.
  3. Skippu

Skippu

Thank you for the advice. I've had a look into implementing the SelectTarget to get the current object but I can't use the returned value. Is there a way to convert the XRBaseInteractable value to a GameObject or a way to access the selected object to pull values from it?

4. DejaMooGames

DejaMooGames

XRBaseInteractable is a monobehaviour. If you want access to its gameObject just use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var selectedGameObject = mySocket.selectTarget.gameObject;
    This does assume that you have checked that selectTarget isn't null.

5. Skippu

Skippu

I was struggling to find a way to convert types to GameObject and that works perfectly.
    Thank you very much for your help.