Search Unity

Re-using assets across projects WITHOUT import/export. Is it possible??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shakenbake444, Aug 14, 2019.

1. shakenbake444

shakenbake444

I find re-using assets across projects is quite a pain through the export/import methodology. It's not a quick process. If i do one export then import into a new project, I'll likely later on want another tool i made for a previous project in the new one making me have to do another export and import. It would be great if assets are just created in a "community" folder and meta data stored elsewhere. This way i can just go grab what i need when i need it quickly. Is there a way to do this?

mcroswell likes this.
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. shakenbake444

shakenbake444

so if you're pointing me to the export package page then i suppose the answer to my question is no. I'm trying to avoid the exporting route.

mcroswell likes this.
  4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry, I misread. I thought you were having issues with the Asset Store import process on each project.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can skip the export process by dragging files into Unity through File Explorer.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If you're on a Mac, you can also make symbolic links to your assets stored elsewhere (in another project, or in some Common Assets folder, or whatever). I do this in many of my projects, and it works fine.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

8. shakenbake444

shakenbake444

oh wow. This is a quicker way for sure. Although it still makes me have to remember to create a link to any new tools i create it's way better than exporting. Thanks to both of you!

mcroswell likes this.
  9. NGC6543

NGC6543

what about git submodule or subtree...?

And I remember an article about Unity dev warning the use of symlink in the project. If you insist, be sure to check that out before trying

10. shakenbake444

shakenbake444