Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Re-opening the Unity Job Forums

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jan 26, 2021.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

Since Unity Connect has been deprecated and will soon stop operating, we are bringing back the Commercial and Collaborative Work forums, also known as the job forums.

2021-01-26_17-23-46.png

You can use these spaces to look for or offer paid and unpaid work within the Unity community.

Please be mindful of the guidelines in each section.

This thread will be open for any feedback or questions you might have about this announcement until further notice.

2. soleron

soleron

So sad that connect didn't work out.
    I had used it a few times and it was an excellent tool.

The "problem" with forums is that you can use any forums to do that.
    Doesn't offer any special features like connect did... did it really do that bad?

Even during the pandemic?

ackast3 and Skade88 like this.
  3. ernzo

ernzo

Congrats! :)

Having a proper functional Commercial section is a must for any thriving community,
    this will undoubtedly be beneficial for everyone: Developers, Freelancers, and Unity.

I've been waiting for this since day 0,
    Connect was very dysfunctional, so the change/rollback is very welcome..

4. calpolican

calpolican

Fill bad for anyone working on that, hopefully their jobs won't be affected. Having the job forum back is just great news though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. lejean

lejean

Honestly Unity connect just wasn't well thought out.

I guess it was fine if you had a finished product where you basically just made a promotional page for your game, but what I wanted was a page where I could post updates for my game that's still in development where people can subscribe/follow instead of creating a forum post with new updates.

Something like IndieDB but better, but from what I recall that just wasn't the intented use and I stopped trying.

Andresmonte likes this.
  6. Ignurof

Ignurof

Sad to see that Connect didn't work out, but this is still good news for those of us looking for a job!

7. soleron

soleron

Connect was exactly that, and also offefred a great system for job and freelancing task ads related to the game you were showcasing. Excellent both for freelancing and regular job ads in a way that no other community offers. I know because I used it and it worked perfectly for that. Sadly, there were not that many high quality applicants through that system.

The last year I noticed most people were just posting in a specific community section and used it like any regular forum or Discord channel instead of using the great tools it offered. Which means those who created these requests didn't even bother to find out how it worked and just went straight to what they already did in other communities.

8. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Where should a person post a request for collaborators in a speculative commercial project? That is, suppose I am looking for someone to work with on a game we intend to sell, but neither of us expects to be paid for our work (we'll just take whatever we make in sales, if anything). I wouldn't see that as "non-commercial," nor is it either of a job offer nor a job sought (jobs pay you something, right?).

Any suggestions?

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

That counts as a non-commercial project since it doesn't involve guaranteed pay so posting in the non-commercial section is fine.

From the job offering rules:

The Job Offering forum is ONLY for opportunities with a guaranteed, known-value payment - contracts, salaried positions, and so on. Any position where the minimum dollar-value amount of pay can be agreed upon before the job begins.
    • This excludes positions that are based entirely on a share of game sales after the game is done, or any other position where payment for work is entirely subject to unpredictable outside factors (e.g. "you will only get paid if the demo gets picked up by a publisher"). If that is the kind of position you are looking to fill, then your thread belongs in the Non Commercial Collaboration forum.

10. Stevens-R-Miller

Stevens-R-Miller

Thanks! That's a very clear answer.

Might be worth thinking of a different name for that forum, though. After many decades of using these things, I know there are a certain number of folks out there who will deputize themselves as necessary to level charges of polluting a "non-commercial" context at vile attempts to acquire some filthy lucre, including asking for others to join a speculative effort if its goal is to sell something.

LeonhardP likes this.
  11. septN

septN

Sad to see Unity Connect had to go, tried it once and liked it. My concern regarding this new Unity Job Forums is, in the end it's just a Forum board. Once it getting more and more people posting on it, filtering and scavenging through the posts to find what you want will be painful

12. fraileycocky

fraileycocky

o_O....still in development heh?
    Tightin up an finish it haha.
    :cool: