Search Unity

Re-bake just one object in light mapping? (leaving the rest of the scene untouched).

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Juan, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Juan

Juan

Hi.

I have an entire scene lightmapped, but i have two objects that i don't like, so i want to rebake just those objects, how can i do that?
    If i do "Bake Selected", the rest of the lightmapping gets erased.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is a lightmap manager script on the Asset Store to do that.

but otherwise with the inbuilt its not possible a bake will always clear all lightmaps and then generate the lightmaps for what you selected / all.

3. Juan

Juan

Thanks Dreamora.

I tried it, but it didn't work fine, so i finally abandoned the lightmapping i was doing and felt into simple ambient occlusion.

Cheers.

4. baha

baha

Hi Juan, I'am Baha from Mixed Dimensions, we are the ones delivering the lightmap manager tool in the Asset Store, drop me an email at bahaa@mixeddimensions.net or post your issues here so we can provide you with proper support.

Cheers

5. Juan

Juan

Hi Baha.

I'm not really having any problem with Lighmap manager, the only thing is that i don't find very clear how to use it to rebake just one object at a time, this in conjunction with the time needed for lightmapping my scene (between 30 min in a Core-i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz) made me throw away this path and forget about GI in my scene, i raised the environment light and then claculated a simple Occlussion, it is enought for me at this moment.

But you script seems to be useful, how can i re-bake one object at a time?

Cheers.

6. Juan

Juan

7. baha

baha

Hi Juan,

I have posted a reply on the other post fixing the issue you are facing also I can give you beta access on lightmap manager 2 so you can use the new features added as it will also have better documentation and more tutorials to come.

Cheers

8. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

This immediately raises a red flag; lightmapping shouldn't take that long on that machine you described; Sandybridge@4.6GHz- you should be rendering in half that, if not less. Of course this depends on your level and it's complexity, but my instincts tell me something is being done incorrectly.
    For example, I lightmapped this scene with all the bells and whistles at high quality settings on an old Xeon 2.5GHz workstation in about 20-30 mins:
    http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/84_next-gen-game-development-with-unity3d-volume-i

It's a fairly heavy scene with lots of contrast, occluded areas, and tons of geometry everywhere with tight corners, requiring very high settings to render without artifacts and light bleeding. Unless you have a super massive and complex scene, you may be doing something incorrectly with Beast to get such slow render times.