Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

Thank you @Hamesh81!

1 & 2) I think a lot of what is in here can be done with a little tweaking. We are done adding new features to v 2.0 but to make the melee aspect stronger we'll include this in the first update with new features. I really want to just go ahead and add it now but I'm disciplining myself to not add any more features so we can release this month :)

3) This is planned for an ability addon.

Mark_01 and TeagansDad like this.
  2. somosky

somosky

I personally think it's a great idea to have all of the different packages. For one it allows you to price your "main product" the Ultimate Character Controller at a premium price which let's be honest is a steal at $200. You could literally make almost any game with that thing it's the Ultimate conrroller. Everyone that's played the demo I'm sure has had a different idea for a game to use it with and that's the point. I'm beyond excited to get this asset and start creating.

Which brings me to a quick question. The first thing I thought of when I saw your UCC was Destiny. Not sure if you've played it but I loved playing as a Titan in that game . The Titan class in that game had a very unique jumping ability which was a normal jump with almost a glide mechanic if you pressed the jump button again while jumping. Obviously that wouldn't be something that's built into the controller but do you think it would be something that the controller would be capable of adding without too much difficulty? I just can't wait to get this controller and mess around with it myself so I'll just bother you with all of my questions haha.

Here's a video for reference.

Thanks .Can't wait to give you my $180!!!

3. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

What about cover ability? I think it is very useful ability.

4. opsive

opsive

Thanks for the feedback - I'm happy to hear that :)

This would definitely be doable. You'll want to create a new ability and then while that ability is active you'd apply a force in the forward direction. I actually don't think that this ability would be hard to get going and then it's just the effects from there.

5. opsive

opsive

Cover will be in the tactical ability addon. This addon will likely be the second ability addon that we create after releasing the Agility addon.

6. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Is there any idea to release add-ons like the Sims using utility ai?

7. mattis89

mattis89

will it have a more easy to make coop game?

8. opsive

opsive

Depending on the demand I could see releasing an addon similar to the Deathmatch AI Kit except focused on Sims-like behavior. We won't be able to start working on this though until some of the other more requested addons (such as multiplayer) are complete.

9. opsive

opsive

You will be able to do coop in a third person perspective, but coop support for first person probably won't come until we get the multiplayer addon complete because that requires switching culling layers.

mattis89 likes this.
  10. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

All these different addons have me excited. When will we find out more about these and what's in them? Or is it not yet finalised?

11. opsive

opsive

We have a list on Trello with different addon ideas but the first addon released will be the Agility addon. We plan on having this addon contain the following abilities (most of these are from TPC v1, the new stuff will come with later addons):

Vault
    Roll
    Short Climb
    Hang
    Ledge Strafe
    Dodge
    Pivot

12. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Is there a link to your Trello somewhere? I couldn't find it via Google.

13. opsive

opsive

Our Trello board isn't public - we want to keep some of it is a surprise up until the point that we announce it ;)

Hamesh81 likes this.
  14. opsive

opsive

Get a live preview of version 2! We'll be interviewed by @TheMessyCoder on Saturday and I'll be going through the project so make sure you bring your questions :)

opsiveVod.jpg

15. mattis89

mattis89

What Time and what country? I live in Finland

16. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi, It will be 11pm for Finland. Look forward to seeing you there!
    http://www.twitch.tv/theMessyCoder
    This Saturday 11th of August = 11pm EEST, 9pm UK time, 4pm ET, 3pm CT, 1pm PDT

opsive likes this.
  17. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@opsive is there a way to put my hands on mobile build or demo project of the version 2 to test if its good? Ufps mobile was excellent but TPC was not usable for me on mobile because control were too sluggish. i would like to make my opinion early before deciding if its worth upgrading

i dont have windows pc & the webgl build do not allow me to use the mouse for some reason

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. opsive

opsive

I'll see what I can do for a mobile version. The existing demo scene is more setup for a non-mobile device and I don't want to put out a demo that isn't a good representation of a mobile scene. Generally though for the most options for virtual controls I'd recommend Control Freak or Easy Input as those packages are dedicated to input so they'll give the best results. The movement in v2 is much more similar to UFPS v1 than it is to TPC v1 since most of the UFPS locomotion system was used in v2.

Does the top right of the window say "Press B for Controls" with the WebGL build? It sounds like Unity thinks that you may have a controller connected. The mouse should still work either way though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it says press f1, moving mouse does not rotate camera but i can still fire and move forward.
    how many month do you estimate before release?

20. opsive

opsive

Hmm.. do you mind if I send you a PM with a couple of builds to try to narrow this down? The camera uses the regular "Mouse X" and "Mouse Y" from Unity's input manager so it should be pretty universal.

Weeks :) RC1 is coming out today, and then it's just marking/videos. We're still shooting for an August release.

Tiny-Tree likes this.
  21. opsive

opsive

We're excited to announce that first Release Candidate 1 is available! At this point we are done adding features for the first v2 release and are focused on polishing it as much as we can. Please let us know of any issues that you encounter so we can get it fixed before release.

RC1DemoAvailable.png

This version adds the Ride ability which allows you to mount on other Ultimate Character Controller characters.

We will likely do one more release candidate before the final version. We're still looking good for an August release date, though we're waiting on Unity to transfer UFPS to our publisher account so we can do an upgrade from UFPS 1 to 2.

Windows (recommended): https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate1/RC1Windows.zip
    WebGL: https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate1

Mark_01, TonyLi and SirTwistedStorm like this.
  22. somosky

somosky

I just tried out RC1 It feels really polished. I'm extremely excited to try the UCC out. The only thing I saw which was a problem was on the horse. When I was riding in third person the horse animation was extending the horses leg above the player. Also when I switched from first to third person the characters pose switched from sitting to standing and I was still able to control the horse while essentially standing inside of it. Very small issues but i thought I'd mention them.

Great job.

23. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this version works for me however camera control feel very sluggish and its hard to aim compared to UFPS, there is something like mouse movement inertia, it should be reduced to feel reactive, also sensitivity is way too high by default
    it seems it almost better when i set sprint to none or modern
    • when you look up way high the body rotation become inverted
    • when you interact with door the body glitch when it goes through collision
    • in the 2.5d section when standing on the moving platform your player can fall beside the map while trying to walk on second floor

24. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Kept getting into a state where I couldn't fire my shotgun. Reloading didn't fix it and it seems like it only fired when I switched back to it, but that didn't fix the issue.

Had an issue where I switched from FPS to TPS while using the bow and somehow an arrow was not automatically loaded into the bow.

If you aim down your sites when you first spawn and keep attacking, your kicks affect yourself, and you get pushed and damaged.

Interacting seems to be really broken, the first time I pressed the button my finger was not lined up with it and it seemed like the layer order was messed up. The second time my character used the gun to press it somehow,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but can you switch weapons by pressing the number keys?

25. opsive

opsive

Thank you for the feedback! I've been working on fixing the issues and haven't tried to reproduce all of them yet but I'll get in contact if I can't reproduce it.

I'm glad that this version is working better! I've adjusted the look smoothing a bit which should hopefully make it feel better. We'll be doing another release candidate as soon as we fix all of these bugs so let me know what you think when the new build comes out in a couple of days.

Yes, you can. Here are the order the keys are setup (you'll need to first make sure you have the weapon):

1: Assault Rifle
    2: Shotgun
    3: Pistol
    4: Dual Wield Pistol
    5: Sniper Rifle
    6: Rocket Launcher
    7: Bow
    8: Sword
    9: Sword Shield
    0: Shield

Mark_01, Tiny-Tree and Legorobotdude like this.
  26. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Malbers likes this.
  27. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

A couple animation nitpicks:

The FPS firing animation for the assault rifle needs some looking at for the slide, it seems like its jumping positions between frames

Bow flexes in weird places during the drawback, probably shouldn't be flexing on the central part where the arrow touches the bow.

Firing a bow in third person without an arrow and your guy seems to do a weird dance.

Shotgun ADS is just weird, (but it doesn't have iron sights so I guess thats fine) and I still can't fire once I get down to 4 bullets, nor can I reload. I switched to the assault rifle and then the shotgun fired without any further input. Once that shot is fired, I can go back to the shotgun and can interact with it once more.

Sword idle position is weird, most games look something like this:
    A block animation that reduces incoming damage would be nice.

I kept attacking the shield with the Katana and the sword did not move but my character did weirdly, and after I moved away I could no longer use the Katana.

Shield positioning is weird, should be pointed forward not to the right. Putting away your shield to the unarmed second hand results in a strange transition.

Pistol ADS should be adjusted so the iron sights are actually used. Sometimes the magazine orientation during the reload animation is messed up.

Anyways a lot of these are personal nitpicks and I understand you are selling a character controller here not an animation pack so I don't expect these to be perfect, I just wanted to give some hopefully helpful critique. (If not specified, assume I am talking about first person because that's what I mainly test in)

Edit: Side thought, I would totally be willing to pay for an addon focused on weapon attachments/customization

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    TheLetterS likes this.
  28. opsive

opsive

mattis89, Legorobotdude and Malbers like this.
  29. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

My soul is ready

mattis89, TheLetterS and opsive like this.
  30. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@opsive do you have a news letter we can sign up for news update and releases? dont use twitter here

31. opsive

opsive

mattis89 likes this.
  32. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

mattis89 and TheLetterS like this.
  33. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Seems like there are times when there are way too many footsteps.
    When you go to the aim area and you shoot the Headshoot guy with an Arrow, no response. Same area, when you shoot the moving dummies with an Arrow there is an arrow trail as the dummies move back and forth.
    Sometimes the sword does not equip when you pick it up.

SUPER FUNNY - Grab a bow and shoot the Horse with an arrow. The horse flies straight up in the air.

I got the Horse inside and it's very strange in the Gravity room :) Sorry, for trying to break it..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    mattis89 and TheMessyCoder like this.
  34. opsive

opsive

Thanks! The footstep issue has been fixed, as well as the headshot arrow. The trail deactivates when it hits the target but maybe it shouldn't?

I *think* I got the Equip/Unequip issues fixed.. I solved it by preventing you from being able to unequip. Problem solved. ;) Ok.. maybe not the disabling part, but I do think that I got a solution for it. Sarah is testing it now. Fingers crossed.

:D I really do appreciate you trying to break it - it breaks a little too easy for my liking :)

@TheMessyCoder encountered something similar with shooting the horse (except the horse went down and not up). I was specifically trying to prevent the horse from going indoors. It's not setup to be able to align to the different gravity directions.

mattis89 likes this.
  35. somosky

somosky

Loved the stream yesterday. I was in there asking about the abilities being similar to the current third person controller. I have noticed that none of the guns are burst fire. Is that something that can be set up when you create the guns?

Legorobotdude likes this.
  36. opsive

opsive

Thanks - it was fun to do. Yes, burst is included :)

37. somosky

somosky

I think I have just two more question and I'll just shut up until it comes out haha. I've always been interested in how Aim Assist works. It looks like it's in this controller so is that adjustable on the weapons or on the controller itself and are you able to assign a layer to it? For example in the RC it seems to go to center mass. Would I be able to crank up the aim assist to look for the head of an object for example?

Also I'm still not totally understanding the different assets being sold so I'll ask specifically for my situation. I have both UFPS and the third person controller already. I plan on being able to use both third person and first person in my game and switch switch back and forth. Is there any reason to get the UCC or should I just update the two assets UFPS and third person . I'm ok with paying for the UCC if it adds anything else but it seems like it's just the two packages together .

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  38. opsive

opsive

The Aim Assist component can target an offset or a humanoid bone target (such as the head). This component is on the camera but you can use the state system to adjust the parameters based on the weapon.

In your situation you'll want to upgrade both UFPS and TPC. You'll then want to upgrade UFPS to FPC and that's the equivalent of the UCC package. After we release RC2 we'll be creating a chart that lists exactly what is in each version so it should make this more clear.

Mark_01 likes this.
  39. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Was firing the assault rifle in tp when the magazine got stuck to my hand. Seems to transfer over to first person too.

(Image link since they seem to not show up correctly: https://imgur.com/a/SZ3LWcA )

Totally broke weapon switching, and didn't disappear even when I was able to switch

The dual pistols seem broken in tp. Repro instructions: Start in FP, grab 2 pistols, start firing, switch to third person. Eventually you just can't fire even though you have ammo remaining. Switching to FP did nothing the first time but the second time it worked fine in FP, and I was able to fire off a few shots in TP before it stopped working again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  40. opsive

opsive

Does this occur every time for you? Any chance you're able to reproduce it consistently?

Thanks! Both the Equip/Unequip and firing issues *should* be fixed. We'll be doing another release candidate tomorrow so it would be great if you can try it out then :)

41. TheLetterS

TheLetterS

Churning through bugs and just wanted to get more clarification on this one... do you mean as you are aiming and shooting in FP the assault rifle is changing positions? I guess I'm confused on what you mean by slide, that isn't the same as recoil right?

Thanks!!

42. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Demo is very good. Looking forward to it.

Here are a few things I tried and found.

Equip the katana and go to the dummy with shield, hit continuosly, it will freeze the animation and you can no longer hit the dummy and no weapon animation will play. It doesn't recover when you change the weapon forth and back. This is in FPS.

When you look upward all the way, camera turn upside down. This is in FPS.

A quick question, will we be able to somehow upgrade from UFPS 1 to this? Or must we create it from scratch, by removing UFPS and implementing this from zero? Thanks for your hard work.

43. opsive

opsive

Glad you're looking forward to it @hakankaraduman!

Thanks - this one has been fixed :)

@Tiny-Tree noticed something similar but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Are you able to consistently get this bug to occur?

Unfortunately everything will need to be recreated from scratch. In version 2 we have a lot of editor scripts to help you out but every script is new in version 2 so there's no real way to migrate from version 1 to 2. If you are far along in your project I'm recommending that you don't upgrade to version 2 just because it would introduce so many changes.

44. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

(Start the video at 1:00)

I had a couple things messed up so let me start again. What I was trying to say earlier was the charging handle was being moved improperly during firing. I took a look at a video and it does not move at all during firing, only during reloading.

Also the gun should probably be spitting out shells from the ejection port, which should move as in the video.

And I can't reproduce the magazine issue, I'll give it another shot but it was a one time thing I think.

Also when you pull out the pistol you definitely should rack the slide further back.

When you ride the horse into the green teleport thing everything breaks lol.

If you stand underneath the platform by the non-opening doors, you just go through it instead of being crushed. Maybe this is intended?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    TheLetterS likes this.
  45. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

No, after I quit and reopen the demo, I couldn't reproduce it.

46. opsive

opsive

Solution: disable the teleporter when you're on the horse ;) The horse isn't setup to be able to align to the ground so that's why things go wrong in that case. Eventually we'd like to add the jump and fall ability to the horse so we don't have to prevent you from going into the structure but that's not a high priority right now.

That's intentional. I think that this is similar behavior to if you were have a regular Rigidbody stand underneath an object that comes down on you.

47. opsive

opsive

Release Candidate 2 is available! This build contains nothing but fixes so hopefully you notice things working better. Sarah and I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everybody who let us know of bugs in the previous releases. The initial 2.0 release should be a very solid build because of all of these bugs reports and there's no way we would have found all of them without you.

RC2DemoAvailable.png

We had a pretty long bug list from RC1 and we were able to fix most of it. There are two bugs that I wasn't able to reproduce so if anybody is able to reliably reproduce these please let me know:
    • Inverted first person camera
    • Collision issues when trying to walk through the door
    Beyond that hopefully things go smoother and let me know what you think. We're going to start working on the marketing material now so we can hit the August release date. Unity said that they will be transferring UFPS to our publisher account soon so fingers crossed that it'll actually happen soon.

Windows (recommended): https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate2/RC2Windows.zip
    WebGL: https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate2

Dreamaster and Legorobotdude like this.
  48. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

The bow is a bit messed up, got into a weird position when ADS with an empty bow. It plays the animation correctly but then moves over for some reason. Also there is one firing state where the character keeps awkwardly moving their legs around, but I can't get consistent reproduction.

Image link since it seems to be broken: https://imgur.com/a/mwZcbdN
    Also got into a weird state in TP where I could only move forward, but once I switched back to FP I could move normally again. This happened right after I was firing bows.

Pistol ADS needs to be adjusted a little bit more so you can actually use the iron sights.

Maybe add an insta-death collider to the bottom of the moving platforms? Makes more sense if you die than just glitching through.

49. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

First weapons - (TPS) grab sword, swing while walking into the rifle and it says you got the rifle but you can't switch to it.
    First Person Room - (TPS mode) have a shotgun in hand and walk in the room shooting, it stops shooting and you can't reload or use a weapon anymore.
    Melee Room - (TPS) bring in a bow and shoot the dummy on the left side multiple times, the dummy will eventually lay on the ground and not get back up because the weight of the arrows.
    Once one of these things "breaks" it, all kinds of strange things happen, so I have to restart to test again.
    Aiming room - (TPS) I grabbed the first rifle in the game, ran straight to AIM room, put my cursor on the "headshot" dummy, then aimed and my cursor is forced to a different spot (either higher or lower by a lot)
    Aiming room - (TPS) I grabbed the bow from up top, ran back to the AIM room, aimed at the moving dummies and it forced my cursor up...
    Somehow I got stuck on the horse
    Horse - (TPS) The horse kicks the cubes like a mile away because the horse mass is so high.
    Died - (TPS) I had a single pistol on my inventory, walked to get on the platform outside and timed it wrong so I died. When I walked over the dropped pistol (which had ammo), it magically became two pistols (one in each hand)...

... Sorry, I tried breaking it again.

I still think it all looks awesome!

50. PixelPounder

PixelPounder

I just downloaded the new RC and I found this:
    Every time when walking around, I hit Z or X to lean and it “warped” my character forward… and other times backwards… and at times sideways. I was in Combat First Person mode… using the download demo of the most recent version… and it happened everywhere in the scene... even if I had a weapon or not. I have a Windows 10 machine.

Also, I assume in the settings for when we have the rifle scoped... we can change the sensitivity settings? It's kind of too fast to get a good aim... ie. little movements move the aiming a bit more than I would like.