Search Unity

RC Plane 2 - Remote control flight sim for iphone / ipad

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by frozenpepper, Jun 15, 2011.

1. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Hi all !
    I'm here to finally share some info and pictures about our latest effort (and i think, the best one), RC Plane 2, all aspects off the game have been re-done and improved esponentially compared to first Rc Plane game (our experience has increased a lot, and unity 3 made our work even better :) ).

RC Plane 2 comes with 2 scenarios :

1) Tuscan scenario (FrozenPepper is based in Tuscany, Italy) : HUGE, this is the game main scenario, we listened to users of Rc Plane 1, and decided that the main scenario should have been gigantic! It has many villages and each one has an RC airstrip where to land or take off from.

2) Seaside scenario : much smaller than the tuscan scenario, is very detailed and perfect for some of the game modes.

The game will ship with many different game modes made especially for some of the RC Planes, here are some examples :

- Air Racer - same principle as the other RC games we made, pickup the coins creating an Air track before time expires, compete for best time on the leaderboards

- Cargo mode - flight your remote controller C/130 plane to pickup the crates, allign with drop zone, open the cargo doors and perform a touch and go cargo drop low on the ground...

- Bird catcher - pickup the coins carried by some fast and agile birds, will have to be careful not to crash on them

- Carrier Ops - handle the take off and landing on a scaled down aircraft carrier with different rc planes starting with ww2 era propeller planes till a modern jet plane...

- Firefighter - load the water with your Rc canadair plane and go "bomb" the fires on the beach

- Airbus - take off and land safely in the minimum time possible on the various airstrip of the Tuscan scenario...

- more......

A fantastic soundtrack has been custom made for the game, but more on this later....

First version of game will ship with 17 different RC Planes ranging from small propeller plane up till big airliner jet planes... BUT we have worked hardly on developing a robust and expandable "game engine" inside of unity for our games, we have tons of game modes and planes will debut in game later on (multiplayer dogfighting included sooner or later :) )

The game will be released (soon....) as a universal app with native resolution supported on all devices.

We are working on a PC/Mac version of the game, and for that one I will finally be able to play with unity terrain and vegetation system (have worked only for iphone till now, so almost never played with that part of unity...).... cant wait...

Have attached some screenshot of the upcoming game, really hope you'll like them !

Also here is a very fast video i recorded of the game playing on a iPad 1 in " Free flight" mode (we have problems with iPad 2 AA...). We will have a more serious and well made "Trailer" soon....

P.s
    Sorry for my english.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Version 1.0 of RC Plane 2 is finally ready ! We are going through the final round of extensive test on in-app purchases and GameCenter integration, but we should be ready to submit !

Have prepared an image gallery of all the planes that will be available at launch of game (gallery link).

Game will ship with 9 different game modes, including an extensive "flight school" section with lessons about 3 and 4ch controls.
    We are currently completing many other game modes that will be included together with other planes in future updates (combat mode didn't made it in version 1 due some more tweaking required....).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Looks Great!

4. Afrokid001

Afrokid001

looks awesome, but, is there any way to change the mode on the controller?

5. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Great thanks for the replies and comments !

Also, a little update : We have submitted the game to apple for review

Yes, you can change and select each of the 4 "standard" remote modes.

Attached Files:

6. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

And here we have a "trailer" for the game (we are still waiting for apple approval.... )

7. macdude2

macdude2

Looks like a great app, but just out of curiosity, how many people worked on this app? Did you use rigid bodies and forces to make the planes fly or did you create your own fluid dynamics simulation? I really want to download it, but unfortunately I only have an ipod touch 2g. Would it be possible to build it with armv6 to make it work for the older gen ipods or would is still run slowly on armv6? Very nice job on the app by the way.

8. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Great thanks ! I was the "unity guy", made some of the 3d graphics, all the 2d, and sound effects, plus practically all the code. I've since the beginning of the "RC" series, "partnered" with 2 other companies that take care of advanced coding (mostly xCode / networking stuff), and marketing, public relations, idea sharing, planning etc. The other 2 companies are "Ethervision" and "iDev2" . I've found it a great way to cooperate with experienced people, share revenues and expenses, but mostly share experience and ideas. I'm very satisfied with it.
    Music was composed by Davide Cecchi, a great composer and musician, and life time friend.
    We purchased some of the plane models, and outsourced the creation of the various scenario assets.

We used a mix of both rigidbodies, and custom physics for drag (angular and not), etc...

Important thing to say, is that we have been refining the "engine" for the past 2 years, we begun with simpler physics / graphics etc, and as we learned from appStore experiences and unity experience, our skills improved and new games got way better.

Rc Plane 2 is currently 15th TOP iPHONE PAID APP in US store (and doing even better in Germany and UK), and we have been able to feel how directly connected success and experience are (in our case at least...).

Sorry no.... we tried, and are still thinking of possible solutions (limit game to a smaller / simpler scenario on older devices), but at the moment we have no concrete plans for it (plus, first Rc Plane 1 , while worst :( , covers the old devices market for us). Rc Plane 2 was built with new devices in mind, so triangles, physics, and mostly Draw calls are all aimed at new hardware....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011