Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Raytracing support of Terrain?

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by unity_FD81F80059821D3FE57A, Nov 9, 2022.

1. unity_FD81F80059821D3FE57A

unity_FD81F80059821D3FE57A

Hi there, Unity 2022.2 seems to have Ray Tracing Terrain support in HDRP so I'm trying to enable the features on my levels, however, the terrain props do not cast ray-traced shadow and ray-traced ambient occlusion just same as older versions.

"Enable Ray Tracing" checkbox is enabled on the terrain component. Am I missing something to enable the feature?

The left one is placed as regular prefab, and the right one is placed as Tree prop by terrain. Obviously the right one does not cast shadow and AO. Non-raytraced shadow and SSAO perfectly works with terrain props so I assume that its only happening with raytracing.

RTX_Terrain.jpg

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Howdy! So, circled this with the HDRP team and have some insight. At this time, only basic Terrain Raytracing is supported, what we call Raytracing support for Terrain Heightmap. As for when it'll support trees and details objects, there is no ETA at this time.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. unity_FD81F80059821D3FE57A

unity_FD81F80059821D3FE57A

Hi, thank you for giving it insight! Good to know that what's supported by Terrain RayTracing at this moment. Hopefully trees and details will be addressed by future updates.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos

Can I just voice my displeasure with the way this is being handled?
    Raytracing was launched in 2020. Many couldn't use it because it lacked terrain support. It took almost three years to add terrain support, and now it's limited again because trees are still missing.

Why isn't this being pushed to completion? It's not like someone has been working on terrain support for three years, so it's a planning issue.

Certain objects not being reflected looks incredibly jarring, so we're still stuck with SSR.

newguy123 likes this.
  5. sniperisa

sniperisa

Oh my...
    This is so frustrating!

First I cheered, that unity supports ray tracing.
    Then I discovered that Terrain is not reflected.

The 2022.2 comes out with "Terrain supports raytracing". I cheer again!
    The I discovered that Trees are not reflected....

Could you please release something properly?

JarekKaa94 and newguy123 like this.
  6. Spikebor

Spikebor

@sniperisa
    For now the ways to has raytraced environment are:

1- Convert your terrains from using terrain trees to prefab trees. Can use a script to automate this: for each terrain tree, spawn the tree prefab at that place, then disable terrain tree rendering.
    Automate is fun.
    2- Manually place Reflection probes for your terrains. Set your raytracing setting for reflection to Ray missed: use Reflection Probes.
    Manual is no fun. I know.

No reflection probe forest
    upload_2023-3-10_13-0-17.png

Yes reflection probe forest
    upload_2023-3-10_13-0-35.png

sniperisa likes this.
  7. newguy123

newguy123

Preview of Final 2023.1.0b7 Release Notes:
    • HDRP: Added Ray Tracing Terrain support for HDRP.
    Does this mean terrain, and everything on it, like trees, details, grass etc, is now fully supported in Raytracing / Pathtracing?

JarekKaa94 likes this.
  8. Wolfos

Wolfos

Prefab trees will destroy your CPU. Occlusion culling in particular can't handle having that many objects.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos

Went and tested it, but no. Just the terrain still.
    They added support for including instanced objects in the ray tracing acceleration structure in 2023.1, so hopefully soon.

10. Spikebor

Spikebor

Life finds a way.
    There is store asset like GPUI that has feature will let you turn trees around player to prefab trees.
    Terra world pro also has same functionality.
    That's some of assets I know, likely there's more.
    There's many reasons for people want to have prefab trees around player, now raytracing is another added reason for it.

11. Spikebor

Spikebor

Would be nice if they support HDRP but not for now.
    GPUI on the other hand support all pipelines