Search Unity

Raymarching Toolkit for Unity is out! Play with blobby shapes, fractals, infinite worlds and more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fernantastic, May 9, 2018.

1. fernantastic

fernantastic

We just launched our long-coming toolset for playful exploration of mind-bending raymarching rendering inside Unity!

It lets you play with blobby objects, infinite worlds, fractals, all without coding and right inside the Editor.

You can see more info, a live demo and get it here: https://kev.town/raymarching

We're thrilled by how beautiful and mind-bending the results can be and can't wait to see people exploring this new space!

2. xeleh

xeleh

Congratulations for the release, it looks gorgeous! Seems like the toolkit is only available on itch.io, any reason for not publishing it on the Unity Asset Store?

3. sgower

sgower

Hi, your asset looks very nice! I'm wondering about the possibilities for (in VR at runtime), a sculpting tool similar to Oculus Medium. There is a new VR game called NeosVR that also has similar functionality, and it's very cool. See the video. Do you think something like this would be possible?

4. fernantastic

fernantastic

We did itch first so updates could be faster. It'll make its way to the asset store eventually.

The rendering is certainly similar but it'd take a considerable effort and knowledge of graphics programming to make the toolkit do that (you should look into cone tracing and volumetric textures if you're interested!).

5. sgower

sgower

I certainly don't want to do it. I'm asking if your product could be used for this. I guess the question is if this is mostly an editor-only tool, or it can be controlled via C# scripts at runtime. What I'm imagining is to create a series of Raymarching spheres in a row, and then use the smooth-combine thing to connect then together. Then you could basically paint in 3d space in VR like the video shows. The brush size would be the size of the sphere. If the api is exposed and lets users create objects, set their locations, and combine then, it would seem doable, but given that you suggested this could be difficult, it sounds like there are some limitations that may prevent this. Being able to drive the system programatically at run-time seems like a good feature to have.

6. sgower

sgower

Hi, I found this on your website "The scene’s structure remains static at run time. Objects and parameters can be moved and changed, but can’t be added or deleted during Play mode." I guess this rules out creating new ray marching content at run time. It also sounds like it's somewhat performance heavy which means it might not be such a great fit for VR. It's still really cool though.

look001 likes this.
  7. made_it_app

made_it_app

Hi @fernandoramallo, is it possible to purchase this asset 'as is' individually? It's exactly what I'm looking for and can't find any alternatives :) Let me know please. Thanks!