Search Unity

Raycast only layer

Discussion in 'Physics' started by sickb0y247, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sickb0y247

sickb0y247

Hello my unity brethren. I know there's a layer for ignoring raycast but is there a way of making a layer that only collides with raycasts? Since the raycast layer isn't actually in the checkbox menu I can't simply uncheck all of the other layers except for raycast like I would want to do. Any help here would be much appreciated.

2. sickb0y247

sickb0y247

bump. Anybody got any suggestions?

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is a question that actively fights Unity's design. You will have a much easier time doing it the Unity way and it's worth changing your code around. What you should really be doing is using the mask parameter of the raycast to selectively control it.

4. sickb0y247

sickb0y247

But from what I can tell "masking" raycasts is all about telling the raycasts what colliders to ignore. I don't want the raycasts ignoring anything at all. I want all of the other objects to ignore this object EXCEPT for raycasts. Aha ok it's working for me now. I can in fact uncheck collision with all of the layers and it still detects raycast collision. Probably should have tried this sooner but I assumed it wouldn't work. Thanks for the reply though!