Search Unity

Raycast not working with double sided materials?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TOES, Jun 20, 2019.

1. TOES

TOES

I have an object, say a cube, with a Mesh Collider on it. When I am casting a ray from the outside using Physics.Raycast I get a hit. But when I cast it from the inside of the cube, the hit does not register.

In my case I need the hit to register no matter what direction the ray comes from. How to achieve this?

2. csofranz

csofranz

Note that the material you apply on the mesh has no effect on the Physics.Raycast function, so there is no way for the Physics package to know if the material you apply on the mesh is single- or two-sided.

So generally, you'll have to cast the ray from both sides. Here's an accepted answer to this same question.

3. TOES

TOES

Thanks, but that does not work in my case as other geometry might be blocking on the other side.

Anyway, I fixed it by making my own raycast function checking all triangles in relevant objects.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

When you try raycast from inside to outside, as you noticed, after inverting ray direction (outside to inside), you can take last raycasted object, instead first one.