Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Ray tracing not working properly on build

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by ProgrammerTurtle, Jun 4, 2020.

1. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

I have been working on a Ray traced demo. I am experiencing a weird issue at the moment. When I run the game on the editor all is fine. Ray tracing works just as expected. Crystal-clear. A very weird issue starts to surface when I build & run the game. I really don't know a proper way to explain this so I am providing screenshots for it.

Is this is a bug or am I doing something wrong here? I checked all my build settings over and over again and couldn't find anything wrong.

Edit: I am using 2020.1.0b11
    Edit2: My GPU is RTX 2080 TI / CPU is ThreadRipper 3960x

In Engine (Working Fine):

In-Engine-Footage.png

In-Game/Builded(Not working fine at all):

In-Game-Footage.png

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Can you take a look in the Player.log? Are there any errors there?

3. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

Here is the log file: https://gist.github.com/EmreB99/2eb3723a8e3c3f86e2ad94332efd4d9a

Though I need to mention that I accidentally opened 2 posts. After opening my first post on HDRP forum, I realized it was more suitable to open it on the beta forum as I am using the beta branch of the Unity. Sadly I couldn't find a way to delete it...

We have spoken with Chap-Unity about this issue.
    Just to summarize what we have discussed so far;
    He mentioned that what I am doing is not optimal and a very costly way of using raytracing technology, which I am %100 aware of. The whole point of this demo is to push raytracing to it's limits as this is actually a fork from one of my recent HDRP project just with rayracing enabled. I did use some lucratively costly raytracing effects and we think that this is what caused the issue. I just don't understand why scene is being rendered fine in the editor and absurdly wrong in the build version.

Here is the other forum topic https://forum.unity.com/threads/ray-tracing-not-working-properly-on-build.905264/

I am sorry for the whole 2 topic thing. If someone can delete one to keep things more organized that would be appreciated. It seems like I can't delete anything even if I am the owner of the topic.

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

No problem with two posts :)
    The log is quite empty... Was this a development build?

5. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

Nope, it's just me being dumb...
    Here is the log from a dev build version, sorry for that

https://gist.github.com/EmreB99/a5cbcf1ad99f33fa8f9f63c7cdbeabf3

But on the good side I just found out that if I build the game on development build this issue do not occur. That's some weird behavior. Everything renders just fine in development build & editor. It just brokes when build normally.

6. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hm, this is odd.
    Can you try RenderDoc? (Although I'm not sure it supports ray tracing shaders)