Search Unity

(Raw War) my first game fps similar to battlefield 2 .[new download link]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dudester, Feb 29, 2016.

1. dudester

dudester

Hi everyone , I'd like to show what i've been working on for a about 6 months now.

So about the game , it's an FPS game , with capture the flag style gameplay , the objective of the game is to reduce the player's tickets to zero , by either capturing all the flags or simply killing enough players that all the tickets reach zero.

you can use a number of weapons which all have varying degrees of damage , screenshots at the end ,
    vehicles included for now , A tank , A helicopter UH60 black hawk, a buggy simple stand in model for now .
    All vehicles come with turrets which your teammates can use to attack the enemy .

There are also classes such as the medic , special ops , anti - vehicles , engineer etc .
    Each class has its own set of weapons and abilitys , eg. special ops has c4 , anti vehicle has anti vehicle mines and a rocket launcher , and the engineer can repair various things in game .

Right now there's only one game mode , capture the flag , I'm going to add more at a later date , also all art is prototype for now , they will be changed at a later date , if i enter alpha perhaps .

Vehicles:
    Unity 2016-03-16 05-13-43-04.jpg Unity 2016-03-16 05-13-51-73.jpg

Heres the link https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3IMm5D_EAKOWUJWd2g4bEFMcVk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    HiddenMonk and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. dudester

dudester

some more screennshots
    Unity 2016-03-01 03-07-11-54.jpg Unity 2016-03-01 03-08-08-75.jpg Unity 2016-03-01 03-08-18-41.jpg

3. dudester

dudester

this is all the weapons so far Unity 2016-03-01 17-36-03-51.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  4. dudester

dudester

Update , i'm currently in the process of fixing bugs , there is quite a few bugs , so once those are fixed and the game runs without random errors , I'll post the link to download .
    Also i'm working on the networking side of it , I'm really close to it being completely networked , just a few bugs here and there to sort out .

5. dudester

dudester

various characters to choose from , I'm not using UMA as i don't have proper clothes for them , but maybe in the future I'll change to UMA , at the moment I'm just using make human , I'll adjust the characters later .

Attached Files:

6. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Looks like a good start, I'm a big Battlefield fan :)

7. dudester

dudester

Thanks , I'll be adding in some more characters , maybe one for each class or something , . Yeah me to , I really loved battlefield 2 and vietnam , some Good fun .

8. dudester

dudester

I'm slowly working through the bugs and errors , I'm working on another map as well , the current map is to big and the scale is all wrong , I'll update with news .

9. jkarateking

jkarateking

Please dont have like exosuits or some crap like that because it will ruin the game.

So far it looks cool though :D

10. dudester

dudester

No exosuites , just plain old military gear lol ,and thanks , It looks like I'll have to redo some of the AI as they still act very strange , walking in circles , tanks not aiming at targets etc.

11. dudester

dudester

So all the major bugs are fixed , the ai now moves properly , Ill be uploading the demo soon.

12. dudester

dudester

So i had to delay the demo again , mostly due to more bugs popping up , i managed to fix all of them that i could see .
    Added an apache helicopter (modeled by me )still a work in progress , I also have a jet , the model is just the standard assets jet for now till i model my own .

I increased the accuracy of the guns as they were way to inaccurate to be fun .
    Still working on a difficulty setting I haven't decide whether to make the AI more inaccurate or make the AI thinking slower , any opinions on that would help a bit.

The AI can drive any vehicle except the jet , still need to work out a way to get them to fly correctly.

All and all it's looking good , I expect a complete prototype in the next month or so , just need to get the AI to pilot the apache helicopter properly and fire his missiles at the targets .

Also on the list of things to do is adding an animation for throwing grenades as now a grenade just flys out the hand of the player .

Thats all sorry i haven't posted a video my computer sucks , so the only video i could take was a terrible low res video that lagged like crazy .

If anyone knows any good performing video capturing software thats free do let me know.

13. dudester

dudester

Ok update is coming your way :
    AI can now sort of fly the jet(still a work in progress ), all other vehicles are working perfectly , some minor problems but its ready to be tested , Im uploading right now , will update with link in about an hour .
    Hope you guys/girls like it .
    Dont forget to comment or give suggestions , any and all are welcome .
    Note im no artist so the try ignore the graphics for now and just enjoy the gameplay!

14. Theoutcastgamersofficial

Theoutcastgamersofficial

Hey there, this is looking like a really cool game! I am also loving the fact that you are sticking with normal military gear instead of all the hyper space future esque stuff!

As for making a Gameplay video, we can help you out with that! Contact Us if you are interested!

15. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Your frames are really low in those pictures, have you optimized at all? Anyways, this looking cool!

16. dudester

dudester

Hi @Theoutcastgamersofficial that would be great , I just finished uploading the demo , its still in prototype but its working well , And thanks I'm sticking to battlefield 2's style , I firmly believe that what EA did with that game was perfect , I'll add my own flare to it to make some improvements . @Whiteleaf yes i did optimize but only recently , I was mostly focusing on gameplay not framerate , I was getting about 12 fps now I get about 20 - 30 fps ,the ai takes about 0.05ms to 0.2ms per player , Its the best i can get so far , but thanks hope you enjoy playing the demo .

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  17. dudester

dudester

Unity 2016-03-16 05-22-20-90.jpg also Note multiplayer does not work at all so just click the host game button, if you try join the game may either crash or not work.
    And incase the UI is confusing heres a simple picture explaining how to start once you start the game.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  18. dudester

dudester

Ok another Note , when you start the game you going to have to configure the mouse left and right and the mouse up and down , seems unity is not recognising mouse inputs , just click on horizontal move the mouse left and right , then click on vertical move the mouse up and down and your done , sorry about that I'll have to figure out whats happening there.

19. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I can't test it sadly, no 32 bit version.

20. dudester

dudester

Damn sorry didn't even think about that , ill upload both versions , I fixed some bugs , so I need to upload a new one anyway.

21. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

No worries, thanks.

22. manpower13

manpower13

Hi there,

First of all, a great start.
    Second a list of bugs :) :
    -Quit does not work in the main menu.
    - Changing anything in the settings will make the screen a bit darker?
    - Setting the quality of the game makes all ui texts unreadable and the game unplayable :p (in your settings menu)
    - Starting a heli costs too much time, it should go up a bit faster
    - I don't get how to control the heli forward or backward. I can only get it go up and crash down.
    - You have to anchor the 'spawn' button correctly. In 1920x1080 the spawn button is almost off the screen. The only reason I knew it was there was because of your previous screenshot.
    - Make the buttons for the spawn places a bit clearer so players know they can spawn there.
    - Have by default a weapon in your hand if you spawn instead of when you first press 1,2 or 3? (Not sure about this one)

Anyway, sorry for the long list, good luck!
    Floris Weers

23. dudester

dudester

Thanks for the feed back much appreciated ,
    I will speed up the helicopter starting up I think it does take to long wasn't sure what to do there.
    i fixed the quit button now so thats all good.
    It because you disable bloom , bloom makes things brighter.
    not sure why that is , i noticed this myself im not sure whats happening but i think its on unitys side.
    The helicopter controls are W to add power , A to turn left , D to turn right , up down is pitch , left right is roll.
    I will investigate that , I was sure it was anchored correctly , none the less thanks for letting me know this my res only goes t o 1280 x 1024 .
    Agreed i forgot about doing that .

New versions almost ready , I'll fix these bugs and it uploaded.

manpower13 likes this.
  24. dudester

dudester

Sorry for long delay had some friends over for a lan match so didn't have time to upload the new version , I also got a new graphics card , so I'll be able to make a good video of the game play .

I'm uploading the new version 32bit and 64 bit with all the fixes and some other bugs that were hiding away .

I've made it easier to die now , so now only one shot to the head and you die , same for the AI.
    I'm also working on the medic so when you die the AI will try revive you.
    I also fixed the map a bit so its closer to walk the the different control points .
    Flag now waves in the wind .
    added fog to the game .
    A bunch of optimizations done.

25. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Cool, looking forward to it. :)

26. dudester

dudester

So i Tried to upload to google drive , seems they are having some problems , none of my uploads go past 1 percent , I'm gonna look around for some other file hosting service , and just upload to that or use the google drive app ,Either way I wont be uploading at the moment.

27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Mediafire is a good one, you can make a free account and get 11 gbs of storage space. You can also try Dropbox, but I find it more of a hassle to use.

28. dudester

dudester

mediafire sounds good , I'm currently trying google drive app to upload it seeing if it helps , if not I'll go for media fire for sure.Thanks for the tip.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  29. dudester

dudester

I've just finished Updating to unity 5.3.4 so hopefully this works in my favor as unet wasn't quite cooperating with me , Hopefully they fixed those issues .

30. dudester

dudester

So i've been battling with Unet for a while now and finally discovered a magical function which i didn't know existed , AssignClientAuthority wow what a difference this makes. Im still battling with parenting objects , for some reason it causes errors dont quite know why yet , but hopefully i get it figured out soon , then the game will fully multiplayer .

Also tried and failed to upload the latest version , still having problems with google drive.

31. dudester

dudester

Update .
    Fixed a bunch of show stopper bugs in the game .
    Multiplayers almost working .
    Added some image effects to the game , still needs sorting though .
    Changed the map , made it smaller .
    Going to start work on a propper map soonish.
    AI also made smarter , they now have a danger setting so if they get shot , they will abandon everything else and attack the shooter.
    Also tanks will now be priority one targets , for the jet the attack chopper , and anti tank personnel .
    Next up is adding healing and revive for the medics , c4 packs for the special ops .
    Then its just lots of maps and maybe some other cool vehicles .

Whiteleaf likes this.
  32. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Would love to see a gameplay video soon. Also, don't bother uploading the 32bit version. I'm getting 64bit within the week so you can just upload a new file.

33. dudester

dudester

I'll record a short video and upload it now , yeah good for you 32 bit is old now .

34. dudester

dudester

Ok so I cant do a video , its like 300 mb just for a 8 minute video , way to much to upload , I'll just do the game , then people can see for themselves.

35. virror

virror

compression? : )

36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

You can use something as simple as Windows Movie Maker to convert it to a .h264, I do it all the time. There's almost no visual quality loss and it drops the file size. Also, get use to big video sizes. That's the way it will always be. ;)

37. dudester

dudester

I already compressed it from 1.3gb to 300 mb , cant get more compressed then that.
    I'll try that .

So Update , Networking is a total loss ,
    I can spawn on the server and client the client recieves his gun, but the host spawns something and never gets his weapons spawned on the client ,
    If that makes any sense , then you know something's wrong with unet ,I followed everything to the T and its still not working. Seems I'll have to go another route with networking.
    Or abandon it altogether .
    So for now I'm removing all networking code and I'm going to start a fresh with another free option.

38. virror

virror

Nothing wrong with UNET, sure it has its issues but it should work if you make your code correctly : )
    Instead of just giving up, try to describe what you tried to do and what did not work and ppl might give you some help : )
    Currently working on my own networked game using UNEt atm.

StarGamess and dudester like this.
  39. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

If you're gonna stop with unet then i recommend photon. It's a lot simpler and a lot more customizable (at least i think), the only downside is that eventually you'll have to pay $185 monthly to allow infinite players to play.

dudester likes this.
  40. dudester

dudester

@virror , well basically all i did was instantiate a weapon on the host then spawn it using networkServer.spawn();
    and on the client the hosts player hasn't got any weapons and no weapon even spawns , so yeah I read unet docs on how its supposed to work and I was unable to get it to work.
    What was supposed to happen was when i spawn it on the server it should at least be in the scene of the client but it isn't , the wierd thing is , is that the client can spawn stuff through the server and it will appear on the client side but the host doesn't work .

Yeah i think i'll go with photon , I've used it before , it worked perfectly , no bugs what so ever.

41. dudester

dudester

Anyway moving on to a different topic .
    It seems performance has improved dramatically since removing unet code .
    I'm downloading photon as we speak .
    I'll update with news of how this went.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  42. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I wonder if Unity knows that uNET decreases performance significantly, might want to report that to them.

43. dudester

dudester

Ok so good news ,I've found the problem with unet , apparently disabled objects dont spawn , So I have to now make a work around , I have to just disable the graphic of the object and the script , then leave the networkidentity object active.
    So now i can continue my work on multiplayer , only a few things left to do then its fully multiplayer.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  44. virror

virror

Great to hear!

45. dudester

dudester

Ok so I've now managed to make it fully multi-player , only thing left is to fix the Ai so it works on multiplayer , which is not much work , then I'm basically done with networking .

Bugs that i discovered , the ai wasn't seeing from the head postion but from the feet , i fixed that , AI now reacts much better to other players.
    Fixed Ai ignoring vehicles as targets , they now target the passengers and the vehicle depending on which vehicle they are in .

Still lots of optimizing to be done , but its going well , next up is some other gamemodes .
    Still thinking of some gamemodes but I like the idea of maybe king of the hill and maybe have like 4 teams vs each other like double assault kind of thing , just some ideas .

Whiteleaf likes this.
  46. dudester

dudester

I've now managed to almost get the ai working on multiplayer ,
    AI is a little to good now , so I need to work out some way to dumb down the Ai , I can use a timer so the AI doesn't think as fast or make their aim worse .
    I'll think on it a bit.
    feel free to share you're opinion .

Whiteleaf likes this.
  47. dudester

dudester

Ok Update.
    AI is now more inaccurate based on difficulty.
    For some reason I cant spawn the AI on multiplayer , I'll have to figure out why this isn't working , once I do then I'll have it fully multiplayer , for now though you can verse each other in a solo match or a massive lan match.
    Still lots to do .
    Added the scout , they have a sniper rifle , mines , grenades and the ability to order air Strikes on a target .
    Plan on adding some extra abilitys to the different types , I'm still thinking on this.

48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'm not sure if you use these already, but I highly recommend GTGD and Brackey's for uNET:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GamerToGameDeveloper

https://www.youtube.com/user/Brackeys

dudester likes this.
  49. dudester

dudester

I've watched all of the GTGD I'm subscribed to his channel , thanks for the link to brackeys I'll take a look at what he is up to.

50. dudester

dudester

Update:
    found a bug in my pooling system which was leaking memory , fixed that .
    Added some life to the Ai , they now look around while walking instead of just going straight for the way point they look around checking for enemys etc.

Fixed some other bugs that were slowing the game down such as audio sources in the scene that weren't playing but were enabled , now they are disabled.

Note to others enabled audio sources have update called on them this uses lots of processing power for nothing same for particle system, rather disable them if not in use .