Search Unity

Rating Unity teams community interaction

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by snacktime, Oct 4, 2020.

1. snacktime

snacktime

Couldn't think of a great title but this seems like something that would benefit us all if done well. By all both Unity and end users.

How well Unity interacts on these forums actually has a significant impact. Teams that are quick to help with workarounds or whatever issues you might be having. And ones that aren't.

And if you have worked with Unity for long enough you start to notice that some teams are just consistently excellent at this, and some are consistently horrible. It's natural this happens at studios also all the time. Developers being developers, a lot of us don't like dealing with the public. And generally the better we are at what we do, the more autonomy we have in this regard. And the more we get shielded from having to 'waste' time dealing with pretty much anything external.

I could be wrong in assessing the root of the problem here. It just seems all too familiar having spent a lot of years as a lead dev. Some patterns stick out like a sore thumb.

And I wouldn't want something like this to just be a tool to punish those that do a bad job. There are a few teams that stand out as really good at this and they deserve to be held up as examples both to the community and internally. I don't think they get enough credit for what they do. It's not easy being a primary/lead dev and also interacting with end users. It takes time management and a certain dedication to do that well.

How exactly you implement something like this effectively is a good question. I don't really have any specific ideas atm that I can see working well. But maybe there is a way.

dri_richard likes this.