Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rare black screen glitch (probably a Windows 8.1 incompatibility?)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Whelly, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Whelly

Whelly

I released my game on Steam a month ago, and for the most part it's going well, but I have a reoccurring glitch happening with about 3-4% of my players. I've done as much research as possible, but found nothing, so I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. Your help or ideas would help me out a ton!

Basically, there's a black screen and no graphics show up, period. There's a faint outline of GUI textures, but no geometry of any kind. Everything else works, including audio and scripting. I think the common issue with all of these players is that they're using Windows 8.1, but maybe that doesn't matter?

I'm using Unity 4.6 (I know, I know, it's not Unity 5) and Marmoset Skyshop. Any ideas what's causing this? Anybody seen this before? Thanks for your help everyone!

2. Whelly

Whelly

Anybody? I'm getting more and more reports and I have no idea where to start. And other developers have reported the same issues.

3. Giometric

Giometric

Are you using any Image Effects? I've had issues with the Tonemapper before, where if it was on when the scene started, it made the screen 100% black. IIRC the workaround I used was disabling/enabling the Tonemapper script on startup (might have had to wait 1 frame in between disable/enable, don't remember off the top of my head). This was in Unity 5, but maybe it was an old bug even by the time I was seeing it.

4. Whelly

Whelly

Thanks for the response. I'm on Unity 4.6 Free, so no image effects. I figure if there was some major shader issue, you would still be able to see the skybox or GUI textures. Someone mentioned that there was a weird glitch where the camera might be deleted at startup, but unfortunately I can't troubleshoot that on my computer.