Search Unity

RaptorAI - Powerful AI Scripting Motor for Programmers (states, advanced waypoint systems, senses++)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ruben_Chris, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

NOTE: RaptorAI 1 has been depricated and overtaken by RaptorAI 2. You can find the new RaptorAI 2 thread here.

RaptorAI is an AI engine designed for programmers to easily create AI behaviours using states. It is based upon a finite state machine that does everything for you.

There are lots of different FSM packages out there, what makes this special?

RaptorAI is not like any other FSM package. RaptorAI gives you the most flexible system out there and is object oriented. Also, RaptorAI is not just a finite state machine. Advanced waypoints and senses make RaptorAI something of its own. By purchasing RaptorAI you don't just get the state manager, but also the other things you need when creating your AI.

Included in the package:

• Object oriented state machine system
    • Advanced waypoint systems + BFS algorithm to find all possible paths
    • Runtime support
    • Cross-platform
    • Full source code
    • Senses for detection of objects + 4 different visual detection methods
    • Navigators that support any kind of pathfinding library + navmesh navigator for using unity's built-in navigation system out of the box.
    • System for communicating between different states
    • System for finding AI components fast and easily
    • Tag system for tagging different AI's
    • Customize how often states should be updated to maximize performance
    • Global settings to quickly apply AI settings

More information, including feauture list, go to http://flamingraptor.com
    Asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/78554

You can use this thread to contact me regarding questions or problems with the RaptorAI asset.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

19.01.2017 - Minor updates (version 1.01)
    Updated a few things:
    • Metadata edit
    • Fixed example scene 1 error
    • Scaled some key images

3. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

There is now an introduction video explaining a bit about what RaptorAI is and how it works. Check it out here:

4. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

New version pending in the asset store. Changes are listed below:
    • New example scene that shows the potensial of hundreds of AI's in the same scene
    • New introduction video explaining the system
    • Minor example script edits
    • Metadata edit

5. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Another video demonstrating animal behaviour out here:

6. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

New version pending in the asset store:
    • Fixed proximity collider gizmo draw location
    • Added new example scene / scripts demonstrating animal AI

7. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I think Raptor AI looks really good. Is a navmesh required? Also, how well does this work in a maze\dungeon environment?

8. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

The navigation is handled by subclasses of the AINavigator class, so navmesh is not strictly required. You can create your own navigators to suit your purposes or use one of the provided ones. Currently there are only one pre-made navigator that navigates using the built-in navmesh system of unity.

I started working on a small maze environment now which will be available soon (not procedurally made). This will be included in the upcoming version in the asset store, but I will also create a video demonstrating it.

RaptorAI was made to fit as many game genres as possible, so using it for a maze / dungeon environment is going to work just fine. The best way to do this would be to create a waypoint system that covers the entire dungeon. If your maze is procedurally created it could be a bit tricky to create the waypoint system since it's not designed for procedural creation yet (it is possible, but you would have to programatically set each connection between the waypoints).

I hope this answered your questions. I am also open for suggestions :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  9. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

An example video demonstrating RaptorAI in a maze environment available on the RaptorAI channel. You can check it out here:

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks for the answer. I'll be picking this up (hopefully) today when I get back home.

11. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Thank you for purchasing RaptorAI! If you are having any problems or questions what so ever, don't be afraid to send me a message and I'll do my best :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  12. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

New version (1.2) pending in the asset store! It includes the following changes:

Updated AI Settings:
    • Tag system to easily differantiate between different AI types in same state
    • Compare tags by using the AITag.SameAs function (not case sensitive) or the AITag.SameAsRaw (case sensitive). You can therefore choose yourself if you want your tags to be case sensitive or not.
    Global Settings:
    • Change settings for all AI's
    • Change settings for all AI's with a certain tag - All with one button (this will be available under the RaptorAI menu -> Create Global Settings Object)
    Performance boosts:
    • Able to modify how often different states should be updated
    Other changes:
    • The UpdateState function from the AIState class no longer returns a float. If you want to delay the next update, use the DelayNextUpdate function instead. This will stack with the AI Settings call delay and if you call this function more than once, the effect will also stack.
    • Updated UI + logo banner to easily recognize AI components
    • Another new example scene demonstrating a maze setup
    • Documentation is now online only so you always get the updated documentation + minor fixes and changes

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  13. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hello!
    I would like as many people as possible to participate in a really quick survey regarding how satisfied you are with RaptorAI and what I can do better. The survey consists of only 7 questions, it's completely anonymous and takes less than 5 minutes.
    Thank you for your time.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3JF859Z

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  14. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

RaptorAI is part of the current unity sale and is available at a 30% discount! Don't miss out :)

15. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Website was down for a couple of days, but is back online now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
    The documentation has been updated to v2.0 and is now a pdf instead of the old html / javascript system and should work better on all platforms.

16. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

17. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hi everyone!

I know it's a long time since I updated the RaptorAI package, but I'm working on a v2.0 right now and I think it'll be great! :)
    Thank you for your patience.

StevenPicard likes this.
  18. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I have not bought it yet. This, however, contains fairly good ideas and techniques. I am a little sad. You have to change the title of this product. You also need to change the icon. I really thought this was AI for the Raptor. I was surprised to read the introduction. Most people will not read introductions. And you said you're working on 2.0. What features are included in 2.0? When will it be released? Are there any examples of Mecanim animations?

StevenPicard likes this.
  19. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I own this product but I haven't used it yet (I looked through the example, though.) Because ICE isn't going to work for me for now I am looking at my other AI packages. I wanted this one because I thought it would be good for AI such as a pack of wolves. However, I will echo Cartoon-Mania's request for an example with Mecanim animations. This is definitely a weakness in my Unity knowledge and would be very helpful.

20. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hello and thank you for showing interest in my asset!

I contacted Unity recently regarding name changes, but haven't got any response yet. This might not happen before v2.0 is released. There will be a new logo as well.
    I just started working on 2.0, so I don't have a full list over features that will be included or any release date. Right now I'm working on fixing the collider system linked to the visual senses. Rotated colliders haven't worked very well, but that should be fixed in 2.0. Here is a list over major features that might be implemented:
    • Better collision system
    • Behaviour trees / visual scripting (automatically convert behaviour trees into states)
    • Spawning system
    • Integrated A* Pathfinding Project support (you can use it now, but it requires writing a custom AINavigator on your own)
    • Audio senses for detecting audio sources nearby
    • Integrated animation support (Mecanim)
    There are no examples showing Mecanim animation at this point.

Note that I prioritize customer input so I appreciate that you come with requests :)
    I just started working on the project again, so the release date is very unclear at the moment. I don't work on this full time, so don't expect an update within the month. That being said, I might be able to offer a beta version or something similar. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

21. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I will see what I can do ;)

22. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Can you add "scent" as well. This great for situations such as hunting. My characters (wolves, werewolf, etc.) will use scent as a part of their means of tracking the player.

23. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

That sounds interesting. By scent, do you mean that the wolves should be able to track down the last movement of the player / places the player has been?

24. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Yes and whether the prey is nearby. But the idea of a wolf, werewolf, etc. tracking down someone based on following their scent (where they've been) would add an extra layer of strategy where effort would need to be made to cover your tracks (ex. walk through water), if you find mint plants, rub it on you, etc. I was going to add stats to my player such as body odor and fear level (dice will be rolled at the beginning of the game for stats.) When something frightens you (spider, rat, ghost, etc.) your fear raises and so does your scent. Perhaps an invisible marker could be left in places with its radius and length of existence based on the current odor and odor strength.

25. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I'll add it to my to-do list. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

26. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Little update for you:

AIScentSense and AIScentObject will be added in the new version. Here is a little demonstration of it:

All the variables are possible to edit at runtime

StevenPicard likes this.
  27. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

That's awesome!

Ruben_Chris likes this.
  28. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I would just like to inform you that the official website is down due to expired domain. I'm currently working on a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience.

29. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hello again. The new website is now up and running and available at https://raptorai.wordpress.com/
    The RaptorAI 2 development progress will be posted there in the future.

30. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am looking forward to this update. Can't wait. :D

BTW, is it planned for this to support flying and underwater creatures? Maybe not v2.0 right away but eventually?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Ruben_Chris likes this.
  31. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Flying and underwater creatures is supported by the engine as long as you have an AI navigator that can handle that (all senses, objects and other parts of the engine works without extra configuration). Right now there are two navigators that is guaranteed to be in the upcoming update; the navmesh navigator (for unity's built-in system) and the Astar navigator (A* Pathfinding Pro integration).

Although both pathfinding systems are designed for ground units it is possible to use them for flying / underwater units (as long as you don't need very complex pathfinding).
    An idea from the top of my head is to use the ground navmesh and get the world y value of the navmesh and then add like 50 to it (that way it would always be 50 units over the ground). You would have to make the visible object a child of the AI and adjust that childs height and not the actual AI itself as the AI will always stick to the ground. If you want it to stay at a constant y value (never change altitude), let's say y = 200, you could do the exact same things, except instead of adding 50 you add (200 - world y of navmesh). That way the flying unit would always be at y = 200. Of course you would have to check that the height of the ground itself is not over 200 or the AI would try to fly under the ground... You could apply this to underwater units as well.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make a fully featured navigators dedicated to flying and underwater units because this can get very complex, but I'll keep it in mind. I might be able to create a very simple navigator for them.

You might find these posts useful:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/navmesh-and-flying-units.369063/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/making-flying-units-with-navmesh-agents.496208/
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/473236/flying-enemy-ai-helicopter-ai.html

I'm glad you're looking forward to it :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  32. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

How are things going? Any progress?

33. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I would say that things are going good and there has been some progress. I am currently working on finishing behaviour trees which might take some time, but so far it looks promising. When I am done with behaviour trees I'm going to add integrated mecanim / animation support.
    Here's a couple of images:

The new AI Controller layout

Behaviour tree configuration window

You can check the current development over at http://flamingraptor.com/development (the website is also WIP)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    StevenPicard likes this.
  34. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Thanks for replying. I'll keep an eye on your blog.

35. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

Hi, just thought I should pass this on. Every time I click on http://raptorgames.tk in the RaptorAI product description at the Unity store Avast antivirus blocks a page from loading with the message "We've safely aborted connection on www.freenom.link because it was infected with URL:Mal". Hopefully it's not a problem with my pc in which case if it is just disregard my message.

Anyway, on a more positive note, RaptorAI looks pretty good. Seems like it might be what I'm looking for. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  36. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post before now.
    The website is no longer at raptorgames.tk and have been moved to http://www.flamingraptor.com or http://www.fraptor.com (redirect). The warning is because of ads on the no longer used domain. It seems that I forgot to update the link in the asset description. Sorry about that, I thought I had updated it everywhere :)
    I'm glad that you are interested in my asset. Just for your information, there is a v2.0 coming up very soon which has new and improved features. You can check out development status on the website. Remember to ask me if you have any questions.

37. Ruben_Chris

Ruben_Chris

Hey everyone! RaptorAI Multi-Purpose AI (RaptorAI 2) has been submitted to the asset store for review and will be available shortly. RaptorAI 1 has been deprecated from the store and will no longer be available for new customers. You can still contact me regarding problems if you intend to continue using the old package.

All RaptorAI Multi-Purpose AI (RAMPA) requests will be handled through the new thread located here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/rap...es-senses-navigators-waypoint-systems.539565/
    Check out this thread for more information.

StevenPicard likes this.