Search Unity

RAPPack-Terrain and TechnoPrimitives Prefabs and Texture pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ippdev, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ippdev

ippdev

The Techno and Terrain Rapid Application Prototyping Pack

on The Asset Store @ 95 USD

The RAPPack - Techno and Terrain contains 750 512x512 .tif 8-bit RGB texture maps including img, normal maps, specular, ambient occlusion, bump maps and alpha maps where appropriate (198 unique individual textures). Included in this Rapid Application Prototyping Pack are 126 TechnoPrimitives for rapidly blocking out large and small machinery, piping. spacecraft, technospaces, sci-fi architecture, and entire levels loaded with detailed objects. Using vertex snapping the TechnoPrimitives can be snapped together in seconds and in minutes complex structures can be defined and further refined with changing textures and materials of which there is no shortage for your creative mind to get released upon. All TechnoPrimitives have been custom UV mapped to take full advantage of the 512x512 tiling, so no tedious messing with UV’s...the textures just drop on and line up properly allowing rapid testing of look and feel along with Unity’s Assets Browser, where you can select a new texture or set of textures for your material in seconds.

Included in the Techno Terrain RAPPack are:
    Texture Maps for Terrain Objects and Splat Maps. There are usually several variations on a theme to allow natural blending and avoiding rote repetition from tiling the same maps over large terrains. Included are Normal Maps for extra details in your textures and Ambient Occlusion for adjusting the textures contrast according to how light actually falls on the height map.

- 15 Dirt Mud textures with Normal Maps and Ambient Occlusion Maps (45 total texture maps)
    22 Ground Cover textures with Normal Maps and Ambient Occlusion Maps (66 total texture maps)
    9 Sands textures with Normal Maps, Specular for water edge sand and Ambient Occlusion Maps (29 total texture maps)
    42 Stone Surfaces textures with Normal Maps, Specular (where appropriate) and Ambient Occlusion Maps (143 total texture maps)
    8 Ground Maps (good for aerial and birds eye views of terrain)textures with Normal Maps, Bump Maps, Specular and Ambient Occlusion Maps (40 total)

Texture Maps for space and starships, space stations, sci-fi architecture, fighter craft, machinery, weaponry, corridors, rooms and spaces, greebling and detailing, etc.. Included are Normal Maps for extra surface detailing, Bump Maps which can be used in the Parallax shaders, Specular Maps which are available for many surfaces to alter the specular value across the surface and Alpha Maps for see through grids and grates etc. The Alpha maps can also be used as Cookies for spotlights to imitate shadowing through grids from lighting, even in the Indie version.

48 SpaceShip Hull textures with Normal Maps, Bump Maps, Specular and Ambient Occlusion Maps (216 total texture maps)
    54 TechnoAccessory textures with Normal Maps, Bump Maps, Specular, Alpha and Ambient Occlusion Maps (251 total texture maps)

The TechnoPrimitives are designed to integrate with each other to form more complex objects. All TechnoPrimitives are UV mapped to uniquely make use of the full 512x512 tiled texture maps. The TechnoPrimitives assembled can be used for engine blocks, exhaust and power thrust portals, craft wings and struts, piping and greebling, bulkheads, cockpits, towers, sci-fi interiors, corridors and hallways. Easily block out your levels and add extra details, change textures for testing various looks and feels, combine in unlimited numbers of configurations to prototype your game or application. Due to the component based nature of the TechnoPrimitives they can be used easily with Umbra Occlusion Culling. Included in the TechnoPrimitives portion of this RAPPack are:

28 TechnoLofts (Symmetrical Pairs - 14 Left and 14 Right) for wings, tailfins, struts and similar
    14 TechnoConePrimitives for engine intake and exhaust cones, missile heads, tower crowns and pinnacles, machinery hubs, etc.
    30 TechnoCylinderPrimitives for piping, piping bends at various angles, pipe connectors (4-Way, T-Joint and Y-Joint connectors) and engine and missile pods, tower and architecture structures, missiles and other weaponry, machinery, etc.
    10 TechnoCubePrimitives for bulkheads, engine and machinery components, vehicle sections, architectural volumes and spaces, etc.
    13 TechnoTorusPrimitives for exhaust and hull portals, rings and coils, machinery collars and grommets, architectural and technical appointments and decorations, etc.
    8 TechnoDomePrimitives for gunnery, tower and observatory domes, cockpits and spaceship compartments, machinery, portal and engine caps, etc.
    18 TechnoCorridorPrimitives with 6 variations, Hex, Staggered Hex, Square, Rounded Wide, Rounded Tall, and Truncated Square, with 6 matching 4-Way and 6 matching T-Joint Chamfer Beveled Connector Hubs.

Hints, Tips and Tricks

Alpha, Specular, Bump and Ambient Occlusion maps are in 8-bit per channel RGB .tif format. If you wish to incorporate any of these into the the (A) channel of Unity’s shaders to affect the Specular channel for example you can easily do it in your image editing application. In Photoshop I change the format to 8-bit Grayscale, copy and paste into the Alpha Channel of the img texture map, save the img and close the copied map without saving to preserve the RGB as you may want to colorize the AO (ambient occlusion) for instance. When you open Unity the texture map will automatically update with the (A) or Alpha Channel available for shaders. The Alpha Maps are used for cutout transparency or cookies for spotlights.

TechnoComponents can be scaled to in any axis and the UV’s multiplied or offset in the Materials Inspector. This way scaled up meshes with multiplied UV’s can be used for large volumes and scaled down meshes can be used for greebling, machinery and any wanted complexity to relay the scale and feel you need from handheld gadgetry to ultra-massive starship or space station complexes, weaponry, teslapunk or wherever your fancy and experimentation takes you. If wishing to add rigidbody physics behavior to any component that is not scaled evenly in all axis then make it a child of an empty Game Object and use Unity’s included colliders to define the collidable volume.

For rapid positioning via surface snapping, look at or vertex snapping see the Unity Manual @ Unity Manual > User Guide > Building Scenes > Using the Scene View > Positioning GameObjects . You will be able to put together impressive prototypes, define your levels and rapidly test different looks and feels, switching quickly between various combinations of space volume and texture.

Link to Texture Maps Catalog pdf -> http://www.mindreleaselabs.com/textures/RAPPack-Techno-TerrainSplats.pdf

I would like to give out the pack free to five enterprising folks who will create some level layouts, machinery, spaceships and the like and post them back to this thread to show what someone other than me can do with this set of textures and prefabs. Those interested can drop me a line at dev at mindreleaselabs dot com.

I plan on doing a Goth and Medieval RAPPack, a Post-Apocalyptic Industrial and Urban RAPPack as well as Industrial Constructor RAPPack. Also coming up next will be a Zombie pack with an Execu-Zombie, a GangBanga-Zombie and a Mommy-Zombie with multiple gimpwalks, mindless idling and horror film grab-ats and clutchings animations. I will add more character packs if I can generate ones that will have more than a limited audience. Any and all suggestions welcomed:)

Best Regards
    Randy Lee Blain
    Mind Release Labs LLC

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. nikko

nikko

Suggestion, do not use basic preset at FF (you see what program I mean) I can recognize some.

3. ippdev

ippdev

All were hand tweaked or I went in and changed the filters and added height channels etc. Thanks for the input. Maybe I can take a look at your output and do you a similar favour. I will try to be more accurate in my assessment than you were. Have a nice day.

4. phex

phex

Using a Procedural Texture Generator and putting some low quality models to the pack isn´t very professionel. $95 Dollar for this ?? You must be kidding !!!

Do you own a license for that generator ?
    All that Sci-Fi Texture Stuff is unusable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. ippdev

ippdev

Very strong opinions. I most certainly own licenses for every single one of the softwares that I own. How amateuresque to assert such a negative. I sat and rendered and tweaked and tested and restrung nodes for each one of the textures in Unity and in C4D. They looked beautiful to me. If you own the software you know how much time this takes up. If you paid for it you know it ain't cheap.

The technoprimitives are just that..not low quality models. Primitives..Not finished models. They do what lego bricks or lincoln logs do. Ever own a set? You can make lots of different things with them. You don't just sit one brick here and one brick there, you fit them together in infinite combinations, much like you do with regular primitives in 3D apps or the folks who use the Unity primitives, which are not especially UV mapped.. I see folks do alot with such in apps like 3D Coat, which is where the idea arose from. As well, with an assortment of other packs and a couple hundred unique texture maps per set, there won't be much that can't be cobbled together by a NON-ARTIST. If you are an artist I do not expect you to be wowed by the meshes. You can probably turn out similar and UV map them given the appropriate time. I basically went through reams of goggle images of scifi ships, space stations, machinery and such and tried to identify volumes that would fit together.

The essence of what the assets at the Asset Store are for is to save serious devs time. I charge minimum 50 USD an hour as a professional. I figure the texture generation catalog at 750 different maps of about 200 textures and 126 primitives...properly UV mapped comes out to about 24 cents an item if done as 95/396. Less than two hours of a professionals time all told. (Mind you the asset store takes a cut) What do you suggest I charge? What would you charge? Have you ever bought a texture pack from Dosch for example? If so what did you pay? Should games be different and if so why?

Instead of being snide and inviting such upon yourself you could try to be less venomous and more helpful. If I am not interested in stuff, know how it was made or feel the price isn't right for me, I don't throw darts. If I truly felt strongly about something I would attempt a modicum of tact. Something you apparently have no use of. Wanna try again? Unless you really don't feel that strongly. After all..it was Unity staff themselves who said to not be afraid to price things appropriately as you feel..which may change if i can be shown a price point that works. I was going to do a three zombie, fully ZBrush sculpted and textured, rigged and multiple animations pack next but the negative responses to peoples work around here..and not just from you ... and not just towards me... leaves alot to be desired as far as motivation. If I gotta get browbeat down to 35 bucks for a pack for a couple weeks work..well..not too promising.

On another note. The scifi textures you find "unusable" will be showing up in an article at Maxon's site about the C4D to Unity pipeline. I am a little bit more sure about their opinion of their quality by using screenshots in the article incorporating them than a random person on this board treading in well worn shoes.

Best Regards
    Randy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. Ashtefere

Ashtefere

I dont see any preview pictures or references, so I am not going to even bother looking it up. All I see is a wall of text.

Perhaps try the visual approach next time?

-Ash

7. ippdev

ippdev

My apologies. We had a medical emergency, I am hitting a deadline on completing a character rig for a soon to be published article and moving our offices into the mountains and seeking good property to do so. And I just took on two others company duties momentarily right as this got accepted on the Asset Store. I will have some time for putting together some scifi scenes next week using the textures and primitives. Mind you, to post the textures would have a wall of thumbnails (750), and to post the individual technoprimitives (126) would be similar :) Hence I offered up a 15MB pdf catalog of the textures in the link. As well I offered five individuals the packs for free to do whatever they felt with them..just post a link to whatever back on this thread, so I know they weren't just hoarders ( I am guilty sometimes). I figured that is alot of free stuff (588mb download) as an incentive. I will add some pics soon as I get through the mercury in retrograde:) These threads tend to last awhile anyways as it is not just a fly by night and disappear operation kind of situation. Thank you for the suggestion.

Best Regards
    Randy