Search Unity

RANNNNNNNT! Double clicking on errors in the console no longer takes you to the line in Monodevelop!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by stuatk, Dec 21, 2017.

1. stuatk

stuatk

arrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!

And double clicking on scripts no longer take you to monodevelop!!!!!!

Sorry, but if i didn't post this I think I might of exploded with frustration.

(and the 2d tilemap stuff is still riddled with problems - 2D in Unity = Lowest priority ever)

(this is on a Mac by the way)

2. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

If you post your bug report # here it'll have a higher chance of being seen by a wandering developer on his off time. You did file a bug report right? :)

wccrawford and Martin_H like this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Dunno, but I did.

--Eric

KyleOlsen likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

same for me, MS Visual Studio,,,been hunting line numbers since 2017 install.

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. avorobjev

avorobjev

Same for me too...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(:(

6. AlleywayNick

AlleywayNick

Why is this not on the IssueTracker? This is super annoying and has been happening since 2017.2 I believe.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

2017.2 is fine; it's 2017.3 that's the problem. Anyway I reported the bug as mentioned above, and the reply was "We have been able to reproduce this bug and have sent it for resolution with our developers."

--Eric

8. AlleywayNick

AlleywayNick

Ok, great! Hope they can get it resolved soon :)

9. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

still the same problem in unity 2018

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

2018 doesn't have support for Monodevelop

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes it does...you can use whatever IDE you want, including Monodevelop. The "not supported" part is just debugging.

--Eric

JamesArndt likes this.
  12. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

My Unity 2018 was fine (using Visual Studio on PC) until I used Package Manager to install TextMeshPro, ProBuilder, ProGrids, and the Postprocessing package. Now, double clicking warnings/errors in console does nothing - whether VS is open or not. Doesn't open the script, and if the script is open it does not goto the line in question. Removing the packages didn't help.

Joytis likes this.
  13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I am using 2018.2 and Visual Studio 2017 and double clicking console errors doesn't take me anywhere in the code now. What has happened? Is this a regression?

Joytis likes this.
  14. Joytis

Joytis

It's giving me issues too on 2018.1/2018.2 on my main project. On other projects, it's not an issue. Furthermore, when installing the packages I use on my main project to the smaller projects, everything still is okay. This was tested with very simple scripts in the root Assets folder. I'll delete and clone my main project repo again and report back in case there's some build artifacts screwing with the process.

JamesArndt likes this.
  15. Joytis

Joytis

So, I re-cloned the repo, but the problem persisted. After that, I looked towards the package manager. I couldn't remove packages from my own project and have assemblies reload, so I tried adding the installed packages. to other projects. From an empty project, having installed all UNITY packages previously used, I did NOT experience this issue with a simple script in the root directory. Packages I am using outside of the UPM include: FMOD (11006), Odin (Beat build - 1.10.5), and PixelPerfectCamera (Asset Store). I have not attempted to import these packages into an empty project quite yet to observe results, mostly because I got frustrated and went to play Beat Saber. Will report if I find anything in particular. @JamesArndt , are you using any of those external packages?

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

2018.2.0f2 it was working fine, now when I double click console messages it does not send me to the debug line and I've the console flooded of crap numbers I don´t know where they're coming from :\

17. alandean

alandean

Any update on this issue yet?

18. Nick62

Nick62

I have the same issue in Unity 2018.2.19f1

I have founf, that problem was in Editor Console Pro v.3.954 (09 Sep 2018)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  19. andyz

andyz

If you turn logging off in the PlayerSettings then log messages appear in the editor but without the script 'attachment' so you can not double click them to jump to code.
    This is annoying (2018.2.14)

Edit: This has been reproduced and a bug accepted

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  20. myama

myama

Double clicking the console temporarily stopped working in 2018.3.12f1. In my case it stopped working when I renamed my top level project folder (on a Mac). When I looked more closely at the console entries, the path to the file was the old project folder name. Once I saw this, I forced the script in question to rebuild (I changed the platforms in the assembly definition that this source file was in). After this the paths in the Debug.Log entries were correct, and double clicking worked.

It was weird because double clicking the script from the project panel would open the correct file in VS, but double clicking in console wouldn't. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  21. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I had double clicking on non exception things broken, an dI recently changed the debug level in the build settings
    upload_2019-4-14_22-29-18.png
    now it works on every console message hope others have same luck

22. Robnocop

Robnocop

For me the fix was easy after fresh install of Visual Studio Pro 2019, it was linked to file type not by editor.
    Edit --> preferences --> external script editor -V:Visual Studio (pro)

now it works again :)

UDrew, CloudyVR and funkyCoty like this.
  23. Evercloud

Evercloud

Thanks, that worked for me... you made my day :)

24. Martian-Games

Martian-Games

I had this problem and none of the above worked .. for me the problem was resolved by re-importing all my script files.
    The cause was: I had changed the Drive Letter my project resides from E: to D:

25. zeiksz

zeiksz

For me the problem still exists, and my wild guess is "my path has too special characters that ascii could ever handle": Assets\!RQ\Szkriptek\H�l�zatkezel�s\Kliens\IKP�ld�nyos�t�s.cs......" well hello 2021. :\

26. Tioboon

Tioboon

This problem can be caused if you enabled full stack trace for errors or debugs.
    Just go to Project Settings > Player > Other Settings > Stack Trace, and mark all as "ScriptOnly" or only the ones that you want the click to work.