Search Unity

Rangeint Enigma

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JesterGameCraft, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

I've looked over documentation for RangeInt and it seems like an array where you can specify a start, length. But I'm not clear on how to access it. Anyone have an example or used it in the past?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

It's not an array, from what I can tell. As the documentation mentions, it's just a description of some integer numbers. It looks like it's intended to allow a convenient way to hold on to a couple of numbers often used to describe how you want to interact with an array.

Consider the a string method like Substring, that generally requires you to pass it a start index and a length. You might want to write a substring method that instead takes a RangeInt parameter, which defined both values in one object.

So, it just looks like a wrapper to hold a couple of number, no extra functionality.

3. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thanks for looking at it. I think you're right, looking at it again it seems to be kind of metadata about a Range of Integers. I find documentation confusing though. If it is just a meta data about a range you can only retrieve the start, end and length of the range (fair enough). But in documentation for "start" parameter it talks about index of the range. I think that's a bit misleading since there is no way (that I can tell) to use the index to get range values.

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Yeah, I've been using Unity for a couple of years now, and I've never come across RangeInt, and I had to look it up too. It seems like a fairly specialized object intended to be used for array lookups, so that's perhaps why the documentation for it sounds array-like.

5. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Cool. Thanks for taking the time on this. Regards...