Search Unity

Randomly generated maze walls

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Knightly-Valor, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Knightly-Valor

Knightly-Valor

I'm trying to develop dungeons that automatically generate walls like this:

I've been looking into algorithms such as Kruskal's algorithm.

If anyone can recommend me game assets for this let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

What makes you think walking through those is fun? These are trivial but tedious to solve, either take every right turn till you've reached the exit or take every left turn till you find the exit, there are zero player choices to make on such a maze.
    Imho you should roll your own procedural generation code based on what you think makes for a dungeon that is fun to explore. Pretty much any rule-based approach you could come up with yourself would be better than a random maze.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Gonna add another alternate perspective -- if you make yourself just a few modular wall pieces and script to snap them together easily in editor, building out custom levels is only gonna take like 10 minutes. Then you have complete artistic control.

Problem with procedural gen is, 10,000+ levels means squat if they feel procedural gen. No Man's Sky is great example. A billion worlds, everybody was bored after the third one. ANd as Martin has said, going throough a maze that has no logic to it is gonna get tedious real fast.

Sorry, not a real answer to your question but maybe something you haven't considered.

tylerguitar75 and Kurt-Dekker like this.