Search Unity

Random Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WildStyle69, Mar 25, 2020.

1. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

I just love how random the Unity IDE is these days... like I'm looking forward to working on my game, so:
    1. Open Unity Hub and select my project.
    2. Wait 5-10 minutes for Unity to load (yeah really).
    3. Wait for second to make sure Unity IDE has started, like move the camera in scene view.
    4. Press play mode to check progress on what I was working on the day before.
    5. Unity crashes back to desktop...
    6. Unity is searching for a solution to crash.. which does nothing.
    7. Got back to 1 and start again.
    Loading a project takes a long time, going into play mode takes a long time, making a code change and recompiling takes a long time, random crashes and restarting takes a long time, the list goes on.

I use a lot of different software environments, and not one other IDE is this unstable, it's quite a remarkable achievement really. It's almost like Unity don't want us to get any work done on our projects.

// Wildstyle

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @WildStyle69

Some of the descriptions sound more like hardware issues than actual Unity issues. Maybe it's time to upgrade your computer? I'm using quite old system but Unity runs quite ok on an SSD drive. Project load times are some seconds, not minutes or even tens of seconds.

3. mgear

mgear

did that always happen, or only after some version upgrade?
    any info about the crash in editor.log?

personally prefer using 2017/2018, quite often random slowdowns in the editor with 2019.3.x..

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Is this an extremely large project? I only get load times of more than about a minute if it also is doing importing or I wiped the library folder.

Is your project not on SSD? Very old computer?

5. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

My post is more of a rant I suppose, apologies for that - thanks for taking an interest!

Yeah - it's a fairly big project, multi-scene setup for VR. The problem is not my rig which is pretty high-spec, has multiple high-end graphics card and uses only SSD. I'm running on Unity 2019.2.19f1.

I started my project on Unity 5.6 and have upgraded over the years, to keep up with the newer Unity features. Everything is on source control and I've rebuilt the library every time I did a major Unity upgrade.

The experience I've had is since Unity 5.6 till now -- the IDE has gotten more unstable and editor performance has just got worse each time I've upgraded, but you only really see how bad it is on a larger project. It's frustrating because there is a lot I like about Unity, and when it works it's great.

Fortunately in the builds, everything is still good -- so that's a BIG relief. It's just unfortunate that working in the editor with larger projects is sometimes unstable, and the random crashes happen at least a few times daily. Sometimes when it crashes there is no error warning at all... and nothing in the editor log, plus the error reporting and recovery tools do not appear.

At the moment I'm staying on 2019.2.x, as 2019.3.x seems even worse, based on other the forum comments / feedback I've seen. I did try to upgrade my project to 2019.3.x a couple of times, and it broke all my prefabs.. plus some other issues.

// Wildstyle