Search Unity

Random Unity crashes after upgrade to RTX 3070

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ukounu, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Ukounu

Ukounu

UPDATE (Nov 14): the issue is resolved, crashes are caused by Bakery plugin. I have posted a report in the Bakery thread.

Yesterday I have installed a new RTX 3070 card and latest Nvidia driver, and Unity editor started crashing for me. One crash yesterday, and two more today. Once immediately after start, and two times after 1-2 hours of being open (in all cases it was idle, I didn't run my game and wasn't doing anything in it). The crash starts with entire PC screen going completely black (as if somebody unplugged monitor cable), then about 3-4 seconds later it returns back to normal, with Unity editor being one completely white screen (other apps, if there were any open, also have various graphics glitches and issues). Restarting Unity editor (and other apps) fixes the issue.

I have attached Unity editor log and it seems it has a lot of errors, like "d3d11: failed to create buffer", "Assertion failed on expression: 'SUCCEEDED(hr)'", "D3D11: Failed to create render texture", etc. There are also many references to RenderTextureD3D11.cpp and D3D11Window.cpp

The problem is I cannot rule out that this issue has nothing to do with Unity (maybe it just happened that it was open at the time), because it's a new card and there could be some driver issues. How can I know if it was Unity editor crashing (due to incompatibility with new RTX drivers) and causing the issue, or it was my new card crashing and, as a result, causing the errors for the Unity editor?

Can somebody more knowledgeable please take a look at the attached Unity editor log and confirm/comment on the issue? Should I report some bug to Unity (and which one)? Since it happens randomly and I didn't notice any clear pattern thus far, I don't know how to replicate it apart from starting Unity and waiting for several hours in front of PC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Same card since 2 days ago, and I've had the same issue once. The graphics driver crashes, from which Unity can't recover (hence turns and stays white). Since installing the card, every game freezes for a second or two when turning the camera towards anything that hasn't been seen before. So my guess is that future driver update will fix everything.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Ukounu

Ukounu

I made a small experiment right now, and now there is a strong indication that this issue is directly related to Unity, or maybe even to specific Unity packages, or Unity editor settings. Not just an unrelated graphics card driver crash.

I created a new completely blank Unity project, and left it open in Unity editor for about one hour. No crash.

Then I launched my old Unity project that crashed three times already, and about 5 seconds after launch, it crashed again, exactly the same as before.

I attached the log from that last crash as well. Can somebody please take a look at it and give an advice on how I should further investigate the issue/submit a proper bug report?

EDIT: rebooted PC, opened the same old Unity project, and got one more crash after about 1 minute. Also, I never got a single crash thus far without Unity editor being open.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    lacas8282 likes this.
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What GPU did you upgrade from?

Did you happen to install GeForce Experience with your new card? I've also experienced a lot of crashes lately in ways which your description seems to fit really well, and removing that was one of the things they got me to do to prevent crashing. Any software with "overlay" functionality can cause issues.

My crashes have significantly decreased since doing that and removing some other stuff with similar funtionality, possibly even stopped. I was experiencing them on two different PCs with two different nVidia GPUs.

5. Ukounu

Ukounu

1660 Ti, also with GeForce Experience, and I never had any issues in about 2 years.

Also, as I explained above, I was not able to trigger this crash on a new blank Unity project (thus far).

That's why I was hoping that somebody can take look at the crash logs and help me narrow down my search for the possible cause. Thus far I have been trying to delete random assets and packages from my old project (which causes crashes) and see if it will change anything, but since each experiment requires just waiting for several hours in front of PC, and it is unknow when it will happen, I don't think I will be able to find out anything this way.

6. Ukounu

Ukounu

I did many more tests, and my main suspect now is Bakery plugin. Out of about 15 crashes I experiences in three days, all of them happened on a project with Bakery asset installed, and out of about 10 test runs I did on other clean projects with various assets and packages (no Bakery), none resulted in a crash (thus far).

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Unlikely. Answered you in the thread. Bakery doesn't have any GPU background activity.
    I suspect your Bakery project just uses more VRAM (due to more textures loaded?) in the editor.

8. Ukounu

Ukounu

Quite likely. Answered you in the thread.

9. SoCowaii

SoCowaii

Failed to present D3D11 swapchain due to device reset/removed.This error can happen if you draw or dispatch very expensive workloads to the GPU, which can cause Windows to detect a GPU Timeout and reset the device. (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/timeout-detection-and-recovery).If you believe this error is due to built-in Unity functionality, please submit a bug.This is an unrecoverable error and the editor will shut down.

Is the issue I am getting here.. Randomly crashes with a relativly new project..
    Can I get a link to the other thread?

krakendono likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The OP said he posted in the thread. So you just click on the OP's forum name above his/her portrait. Then click "Find all content by..." Then just scroll down a bit until you see a Bakery thread in the list.

11. Ukounu

Ukounu

An update one month later: after I removed all Bakery content from my projects, I never had a single crash, under any load and in any program.

The final statistics are: 15 crashes in 3 days (Bakery installed) vs 0 crashes in 1 month (Bakery removed).

Despite this clear evidence, the developer of the Bakery plugin adamantly refused to investigate any issues with his asset (I contacted him and provided all necessary reports and test results), so the issue of compatibility of Bakery with RTX 30XX cards remains unresolved. For me, personally, the issue was fully resolved by removing the Bakery plugin.

12. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

I didn't refuse, I just don't know what else to check. Since v1.8 release there were many users with 30xx cards who run it just fine. No one else ever reported this crash, and I have no idea how it can affect your card while it's not even running (empty project, no baking in progress). Faulty hardware is the only explanation I have at this point.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  13. Ukounu

Ukounu

By injecting invisible objects into scenes. The fact that these hidden objects start spamming errors into console after some Bakery scripts are removed is a clear proof that Bakery keeps running and performing background tasks even in 100% empty scene and idle editor. I have thoroughly explained that earlier.

Faulty Bakery plugin and its complacent developer is the only explanation I have at this point.

Despite my repeated offers to perform any crash tests or experiments that you, personally, would acknowledge as reliable and replicable, you never asked for any. From the very beginning, I didn't rule out the possibility of my card malfunctioning, and that's why, instead of just making baseless claims, I did perform numerous stress tests over the course of many days and in various load scenarios . On the other hand, from the very beginning you ruled out any possibility of your scripts ever malfunctioning, and refused to perform any tests that would ultimately prove you wrong or right. That says me everything that needs to be said about your competence.

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

For what it's worth, I've updated my driver and haven't experienced any crashes since.

15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Hmmm wait. Does it spam something non-stop? That... shouldn't happen. It is possible to get one or a few warnings (e.g. "referenced behaviour not found") as the scene is loaded and if you deleted the scripts, but not something every frame. What messages did you see there?

Possibly related: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...s-cards/5/408152/rtx-3070-black-screen-issue/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  16. tirarex

tirarex

Bakery works fine. Problems in nvidia drivers. Stop bulling developers.

I have most PURE Nvidia 3070 Founders Edition. Day 14 before launch, its press sample for reviewers, directly from nvidia.

Error 13 and 14 start appearing from 1st day of use with closed drivers for press.
    Sometimes error occur when i use unity, sometimes with games (cs go, cyberpunk etc) and 70% times when i start AIDA64.
    Reinstalling windows almost solved this problem, errors appear 1-2 times a month.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  17. Ukounu

Ukounu

I'm not "bullying" anybody. After reporting the issue in the Bakery thread two months ago and developer of the plugin refusing to solve or investigate it in any way, I didn't post in the thread ever since.

And I can run any of these, or any other game or software for that matter (apart from Bakery), without any issues. So, what does that prove? Does it prove that you are a liar? Does it prove that you are an aggressive "bully" who just attacks Nvidia without any legitimate reason? Does it prove that Nvidia can safely ignore any reports just by saying that some other guy over there can run the same games without any issues?

I don't think so. The only thing this fact means is that there are more details to investigate in order to understand specific conditions triggering those issues, not just summarily dismiss all issues and pretend they never existed.

Using the same logic, the fact that you, personally, can run Bakery without issues, doesn't prove there are no issues on Bakery's side to investigate and solve. The only thing this fact proves is that there are more specific conditions and details to investigate, instead of just dismissing them and pretending they never existed - but developer of the Bakery plugin refused to investigate anything or make any tests.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. tirarex

tirarex

19. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

20. tirarex

tirarex

its actually core issue of unity crashes, just sometimes it crash with black screen and sometimes not.
    i test it on 3090 3080 and 3070 (all FE editions)

Bit ukouny start blaming bakery.

21. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If it is the "core issue", why have exactly 0 other people even mentioned it in this thread? Not all crashes have the same cause. Your black screen problem likely has its own cause unrelated to the topic of this thread.

22. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Black screen = driver crash. Driver crash = issue of the thead?

Looking at NV forums it looks like many driver crashes on 3070 happen during YT video watching / discord / twitch, but never in games.

As previously noted, Bakery has no GPU activity when you're not baking.

The only hint I have right now is
    Spamming errors = fast 2D refresh = something similar to the one of the NV forum issues?

Ukounu, can you answer? Can it be caused by Unity UI being refreshed too fast for some reason?

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi all,

I recently got the same issue on the HDRP version of my new LUMINA HDRP asset in Windows with DX11 and Nvidia 20xx and 30xx series.

While it is defiantly a bug and the cards not working properly from Nvidia - Driver side, seems DX12 solves the issues (at least with LUMINA HDRP that i tested) which at least is a solution (and DX12 is the future anyway)

Also Vulkan seems to work fine as well (tested in Linux, images above for reference), so leaving those here as two possible workaround on the issue.

Steyler likes this.