Search Unity

Random Tree Rotation

Discussion in 'World Building' started by tdemelle_unity, Feb 6, 2020.

1. tdemelle_unity

tdemelle_unity

I'm unable to get random tree rotation functionality to work in the terrain editor. According to the terrain editor documentation, this should work on a tree prefab that has an 'LOD group' component, but when I add an LOD group component to a prefab, the tree brush no longer paints down trees (where it worked to paint down trees without the LOD group (but also without random rotation)).

I don't own SpeedTree. I've tried using tree prefabs (with LOD group added to the prefab itself and to a game object that the tree is parented to) made from both hand modeled trees (my preference) and Tree Editor trees (thinking maybe these would be easier to get rotation working).

The documentation also says, "Internally, the Terrain Engine distinguishes between the two types of models [SpeedTree and Terrain Editor] by determining whether an LOD Group is present on the Tree Prefab’s root GameObject. A SpeedTree Prefab has an LODGroup component, but a Tree Editor Prefab does not."

Is there something else the Editor is looking for thinking it's a SpeedTree tree because it has an LODGroup component? Is there anything I can do to either a hand-modeled tree or a Tree Editor tree to trick the engine into getting them to randomly rotate on the terrain?